August 27, 2014 | 1877 users online

Other - Tom's of Maine - Anticavity Toothpaste Gel in Orange-Mango

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2014 2:21:00 PM More reviews by cosmic007

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I purchased this because I'm not a big fan of mint, and liked the idea that it's natural. Not matter how I tried, I just didn't like it. The toothpaste has no "lather" to it, and halfway through my brushing, I have to add another substantial amount to my toothbrush. I also noticed that by late afternoon, when I ran my tongue against my gums, I could feel a plaque build-up, which I had never experienced with other toothpastes (usually a Crest user). The flavor was so-so, not bad but not a "tropical" as I had expected. Would NOT re-purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2013 6:07:00 PM More reviews by Yvonneay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

**EDIT: This is for the Whole Care Orange Mango Gel Toothpaste, to be clear. Apparently this flavor is offered for other types of toothpastes, but I can't seem to find those on their website.**

I hate mint. Mint anything is disgusting. If my friend sitting across the table is chewing mint gum, I can smell it and I start getting headaches. As such, brushing my teeth was always a very very VERY hard thing for me to do. I used the children's one for the longest time, but it's very sugary and still very gross.

When my boyfriend sent me this as a surprise gift (I know, how romantic), I decided to try it out. To my surprise, it tastes delicious. I still get a hint of mint, the freshness and burning sometimes, but not always, which is weird. Either way, I love it! I don't dread brushing my teeth anymore!

This is what the description on their website says: "Refreshing natural flavor. Real flavor oils, not artificial sweeteners like saccharin, leave your mouth feeling clean and fresh. Helps fight cavities. Naturally sourced fluoride helps remineralize soft spots on teeth before they turn into cavities. Helps fight tartar. Gentle whitening. Naturally-sourced silica (derived from sand) improves cleaning and gently whitens without bleaching ingredients or harsh abrasives."

I haven't really seen any whitening (been using it for about 4months now). I really wish it whitened better because my teeth are stained from coffee (can't start my day without it!). I also wish it had something for sensitive teeth, and I kinda wish it wasn't gel-like. Feels weird.

Since I haven't been able to find it in stores, the only way I have been able to replace this is through websites. I'm always looking for the cheapest because, I mean, why the heck does mint always have to be cheaper than non-mint flavors? Cheapest I've found it, AFTER shipping and handling, was about $6. That's still VERY pricey for what it really is, in my opinion... But, I'd rather pay that for something I don't dread doing anymore, than $2 for something I despise, I suppose.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2010 9:06:00 PM More reviews by adlechuga82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I got this product for 2 dollars (!) at Big Lots which has lots of closeout deals on Tom's toothpastes and I absolutely love it. The consistency is good and my teeth feel fresh and clean after brushing. Tom's is a great company and animal friendly too so I know I will be buying it in the future again. I don't think I will ever return to Crest.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2010 11:45:00 AM More reviews by girrl65

In a world of mint flavored toothpaste, this is a real treat. The first time I tried this, I thought it would be gross or feel like I actually had NOT brushed my teeth after I used it. Wrong, wrong wrong. My mouth felt very clean and fresh, just like after using a more traditionally flavored toothpaste. This is a fun and worthwhile product and I think you should all give it a try!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2009 9:45:00 PM More reviews by JordanMayTwigs

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love Tom's Of Main!!!
I buy almost all there products.
PLUS IT'S CHEAPER THAN ANIMAL TESTED TOOTH PASTES!!!

I love that it's all natural.
None Animal Tested.

I also love that they have a none Minty Flavor!!
I've been using this tooth paste for years.
And love it!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2009 12:22:00 AM More reviews by mooshrimp

I dislike strong toothpaste flavors. I mostly just hate having a strong flavor of any kind early in the morning. At first I loved the flavor of this. Other people in my dorm bathroom would always comment on the yummy smell and it did smell yummy. But let me tell you I miss the foamy detergent of my regular toothpaste. I sometimes double check to make sure I used toothpaste and not face cream or something because this goes from gel/cream to complete drippy liquid with no foaming action. I also feel like my mouth wasn't quite as clean as with normal toothpastes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2007 8:55:00 PM More reviews by longgoodnight04

I usually buy tom's spearmint or cinnamon. Well I was at Target and they only had spearmint and spearmint sort of bores me. I got on the ground and looked in the back of the shelf and saw this. It sounded weird. But hey--it wasn't spearmint!
IT IS SO AMAZING. It is really fruity and not gross and leaves my teeth feeling cleannnn. It is so fun to brush my teeth with this! haha

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2007 5:08:00 PM More reviews by MissMelissa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

To be clear, this review is for Whole Care Anti-Cavity & Tartar Control plus Whitening Gel Toothpaste in Orange-Mango. This is my first experience with TOM's Toothpastes. I'm trying to replace all of my everyday products with ones that are not tested on animals. I've found that most toothpastes are too strong for my mouth--Spearmint, Fresh Mint, Cinnamon, whatever. Ouch! !I love LUSH's White Toothpaste, although it doesn't foam up like this one does. The first time I used it, I thought it was going to irritate my mouth, but I was wrong! I've been using for several days now and no problems. When you first start to brush with this, the toothpaste taste AMAZING! It's sooo good! Then it starts to foam up a bit and you can really taste the orange. Afterwards, it tastes like you brushed your teeth and then had some orange juice. Not bad, just different. I'm not sure how well I like it, but I'll definitely try this brand of toothpaste again. Maybe another flavor, though:)
If you are sick of strong/minty toothpastes, this is a good change of pace.
UPDATE 10/31/07: This product is really smooth and doesn't have any kind of grit to it. I didn't think that was a big deal because I thought it was better for my teeth, to not have that extra abrasion. I need it! I need a bit of abrasion! Preferably one that has whitening power, unlike this one. Yes, I drink insane amounts of coffee and I also like to drink tea, but my teeth have never looked this "dingy". I need a toothpaste that's not only going to whiten old stains, but prevent new ones. This isn't doing either and I've used the entire tube. I brush twice a day, with a toothbrush that has a two-minute timer and two revolving heads. I'm dreading going to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned:( I don't think they've ever looked so...UGH! I also use more of this toothpaste because I don't feel like it's getting the job done. The metal container also started giving me problems. About a week about I started using this, the toothpaste started leaking in places tha I hadn't applied any pressure. There wasn't even a dent in it places it was coming out! I will not buy this again. The hunt for a Animal Friendly toothpaste continues...

rated 1 of 5 on 4/24/2007 10:49:00 PM More reviews by nanaki

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

YUCK! I dislike minty toothpastes, and love Tom's other non-minty toothpastes. But this one? Ugh! A very flat, dreary, almost dusty-tasting orange oil flavor predominates, with the "mango" flavor adding what I can only describe as a rotten fruit undertone. The overall effect was nauseating - a little like the chalky, orange-flavored children's tylenol I was given as a child, minus the bitter taste. None of the charm of either of its namesake fruits. Blech. Try the apricot variety instead - it's much more pleasant.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2007 4:21:00 PM More reviews by DCKathy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Never thought I'd love a toothpaste, but I love this one! What a great flavor. Not for everyone, though; my friend gave it to me because she hated it. I think it's terrific, I'd definitely buy it again.