L'Oreal Voluminous in Carbon Black

3.5

on 4/7/2015 1:41:00 PM

Incredibly dark, wet formula. You have to work a little bit with this one (which I hate, but what can you do) but then the results are great. My biggest beef is that the brush emerges with SO much extra product -- wiping the brush off first is an absolute must. I stubbornly resisted this for a while, as I loathe extra steps, and ended up with random clumps and flakes as the day wore on. Not great for contact wearers. But if you wipe it off, it applies like a dream and flaking is greatly reduced (almost nonexistent). The brush isn't too fat, so you can really get at the base of your lashes and glide it through to build volume. I don't use an eyelash curler, but this doesn't weigh down my lashes. They stay fairly lifted the whole day, just from that first and only application. Lashes don't feel stiff, either.

Pros: very dark, affordable, easy to remove, wears well and stays on for most of the day.
Cons: a lot of product is wasted, very wet/messy at first (but dries quickly), and you'll get clumps/flakes if you're not careful.

I'm resigned to the fact that I'll never truly love a mascara, but I do come running back to this one very frequently! It serves me well.

on 4/6/2015 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This mascara is brilliant!!!! I discovered it about six years ago and i always have to have one on me. i buy other mascaras occasionally but i haven't found one as good as this. Its a bit messy so it takes a skilled sleight of hand and some clean up but Its worth it !! All throughout highschool I've been asked whether i wear false eyelashes or not so needless to say im enamored by this product.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

hands down the worst mascara i've ever tried. incredibly thick, wet and clumpy product on a brush that resembles a toilet bowl brush. the brush is ridiculously big and loads way too much product on. if you have short lashes or small eyes, most of the product will end up on your eyelids. my lashes smeared and clumped together on the first coat. horrible

on 4/1/2015 5:32:00 PM

My HG mascara! There is no high end mascara that can compare to this one! It is amazing at thickening and lengthening my lashes which is the main thing I look for. I love how dark it is too. I use this along with my Voluminous Million Lashes mascara ti help separate the lashes a bit more. However, this mascara can be used by itself and look just as good. I just like doing that extra step to get my lashes perfect! This is a great mascara! I have repurchased it plenty of times and will continue to do so.

Way overrated. It wasn't as black or as volumizing as I expected. It's also a very wet formula, so it's a bit clumpy. I have to wipe the brush off a lot in order to work with it properly. I wouldn't repurchase and to be honest, I expected better due to the fact that everyone seems to love it. Then again, I do have extremely short and thin lashes, so that could be why. I did like the classy packaging though.

on 3/29/2015 1:59:00 PM

I usually use the original formula but wanted to try this. I found that the carbon black is a lot more clumpy and messy. It smeared under my eyes by the end of my work day. I am a holistic therapist (massage, aromatherapy, hot stone treatments, etc) so I work in a hot, humid room all day long and i am constantly moving. I need a mascara that isn't going to smudge, but without being waterproof so I can actually take it off at the end of the day. I will stick to the original from now on.

on 3/18/2015 2:01:00 PM

I swear by this stuff, it's my all time favorite mascara of ever. Do not buy the waterproof though, it's impossible to get off. The non waterproof version is already virtually impossible. This is very prone to clumping and I find this mascara doesn't last in the tube long. But it's cheap. I have really long eyelashes naturally and I find this just defines them so much more without adding bulk. Not the best if you want thickening, but really great if you want to highlight how long your natural lashes are while blackening them. The product also takes a while to dry so it's easy to get everywhere if you aren't careful. But it easily goes on in two coats, not clumpy, and is just a great item. I've used it for years.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This mascara just doesn't work for me.
It's extremely wet, messy, and clumpy, which makes it difficult to apply. It also cannot hold a curl at all, and is such a heavy formula that it weighs my lashes down. It's just a big clumpy mess on my lashes and doesn't deliver any flattering definition or length like I want out of a mascara.
What bothers me the most is that you cannot just wash it off with regular soap and water(I have the non waterproof formula). It runs and bleeds everywhere, sticks all around my eyes, and gives me dark black raccoon eyes. A lot of days, I wear minimal makeup that includes only mascara, and I just jump in the shower at the end of the day and use soap to wash my face. With this mascara, I have to use a makeup remover wipe first, otherwise my eyes are a big black mess. I normally use Cover Girl mascaras, which wash off easily and don't leave runny black marks all over my face. If you want something low maintenance and natural looking- I would suggest Cover Girl Clump Crusher.

I like this mascara in the original but when I tried the carbon black something just seemed off....i think i'll go back to the original

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

brush is like the maybelline full n soft but doesn't work as well as that one

Video Reviews & Tutorials