August 29, 2014 | 1776 users online

Polishes - Clinique - Glosswear Nail Enamel

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2013 12:29:00 PM More reviews by TereH

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I'm writing to review the newest nail enamel from Clinique, released in the Spring of 2013. I tried Grape Ice, which is a limited edition online only and seems to be sold out, although Hi Sweetie appears to be a similar color. I also have Call My Buff, which is a whitish-beige, as someone said, the color of soymilk, very natural and neutral. My next purchase will be Concrete Jungle. I found these to be long-wearing and really able to keep the gloss factor going. They look like a gel manicure without the UV and the filing down the nails and the peeling and soaking to get them off. I've worn Call My Buff for two weeks now and it didn't chip; I have a tendency to pick at the edges around the cuticles as my nails grow out, so it's time to remove and redo. I DO use Barielle's Nail Rebuilding Protein for a bottom coat, and I think these enamels do better with a bottom coat of some kind; Clinique makes one. I haven't used a top coat but plan to. I don't find the price terrible because I cannot wear ANY kind of nail enamel other than Acquarella, the same price per bottle, which wears off and peels because of its water base and my hands are often in contact with oil. Acquarella is a great polish,but due to time constraints, I need something more traditional. Clinique leaves out the big three ingredients that are unhealthy, but even other lines that claim to do so still have that nail enamel smell that make my eyes water, my skin itch, and my head ache. Years ago when Clinique made nail enamel, I couldn't use it because even theirs, and Almay's, fired up my allergies. And I agree with everyone that the older formula was thicker. The new formula is light, sheer, and can be built up with a couple of coats. I hope Clinique keeps making it because I am really enjoying wearing nail polish again and really enjoy how long-lasting it is, and very much appreciate that I have NO allergic reaction; once it's on and dry, I never know its there, except for how great my nails look and how the protection of nail enamel helps them grow.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2012 3:41:00 PM More reviews by Spyglass

This nail polish was very easy to apply, I thought that the consistency was good and it hasnt yet gone goopy like my other nail polishes. Only trouble is the expense.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2010 11:40:00 AM More reviews by jhadiq

The colors in the Glosswear nail enamel line are gorgeous. I find that application is not streaky, and you get great coverage in two coats. That said, the staying power is absolutely terrible. Seriously, on me, it starts chipping nearly the same day I apply. I cannot endorse a product that doesn't even resist chips in just a few days. I don't know why I ever stray from OPI, it often is such a disappointment.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2007 4:51:00 AM More reviews by hounddog1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have to echo so many people here. Staying power is bad. I have an orangey red shade thats called coral snap. It lasts one day and by the end of that day there will be chipping. But it does cover well and is not streaky. It is not as glossy as name would let you expect. I love glossy nails and this was a bit of disappointment to me. It is still a nice vintage color and the bottle has a generous amount of product. Who knows maybe it lasts you few days if you are an extremely righ person (like Paris) who doesnt need to do anything at all. But I must say I am certainly not such person, so I will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2006 12:10:00 AM More reviews by barbie_c0ri

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This review if for Glosswear nail polish RUBY LUSTRe!! GORGEouS color!! it's a dark red vamp shade with red shimmer. VERY PReTTY!!! it last 4-5 days non chip or crack! I actually bought this shade awhile back and i found it one day sitting in my nail polish stash! YEY! if you can find this discontinued polish TRY IT!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2006 3:44:00 PM More reviews by SOAKENUPDASUN

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I swapped for the bright red color and love it on my toenails! It is glossy and easy to apply! I want every color! 5*

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2006 10:45:00 AM More reviews by fivezero

Wow, I am surprised at these low ratings! I love Clinique's nail polish. I have four shades: Pure Luxe (red wine shimmer), Hotsy Totsy (one of my favourite rich reds), Garnet Ice (burgundy shimmer) and Sugarplum (plum velvet with silvery frost). The texture is thicker than that of most polishes, but I find it applies very smoothly and you can often get away with only one coat. It doesn't streak or bubble, lasts reasonably well, and the colours are gorgeous! A bit pricier than OPI at CAD$12, but Clinique GWPs always sucker me in.

Pics in my profile. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2005 11:22:00 PM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am torn on Clinique's nail polish. I don't have the application and wear problems that some reviewers have had, but I do have the problem with the product getting thick and useless far sooner than it should (usually within a year of purchase). So then why do I want to like it so much? Because Clinique doesn't use three toxic ingredients usually found in other nail polishes: dibutyl phthalate, toluene, and formaldehyde. I have yet to find a good quality nail polish that omits these toxins, but I'm still hoping to. Ingredients: ethyl acetate, butyl acetate, isopropyl alcohol, nitrocellulose, adipic acid/neophenyl glycol/trimellitic anhydride copolymer, tosylamide/epoxy resin, triphenyl phosphate, trimethyl pentanyl disobutyrate, algae extract, tea tree leaf oil, wheat protein, hydrogenated jojoba oil, stearalkonium bentonite, diacetone alcohol, ethyl tosylamide, stearalkonium hectorite, sucrose acetate isobutyrate, camphor, benzophenone-1, citric acid. May contain: titanium dioxide, mica, ferric ferrocyanide, guanine, red 6 lake, red 7 lake, red 34 lake, aluminum powder, busmuth oxychloride, iron oxides, red 30 lake, yellow 5 lake. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2005 6:05:00 PM More reviews by LibertyRose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Clinique's nail polishes are nothing more than eye candy. While the colors are often dreamy, the consistency is terrible and not better than that of drugstore brands. In the beginning they're too liquid, which make them difficult to layer, but after a couple uses they dry out. I'd rather purchase other dept. store nail polishes, even if that means I have to pay more than $9.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2004 10:51:00 PM More reviews by dryers

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have this in Pink Shimmer, Orange Ice and Ice Shimmer. For the first two colors, the texture and color are great. But for the last one, it must be applied as top coat or else it will be very sticky on its own. Need to get a thorough try-out before any future purchases.