April 18, 2014 | 1622 users online

Deodorants - Certain Dri

rated 3 of 5 on 3/27/2014 9:22:00 PM More reviews by ironicsymphonic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Well, it WILL stop you from sweating. It seemed to totally shut off the sweat glands under my arms, which no product has ever been able to do. Ever. I sweat a bit more than average (though not chronically, like some people on here have described), and this is really the only antiperspirant that ever did anything about that. So does it do what it says it does? Yes. For sure.

For me, though, I decided this product wasn't worth it. It burned like a MO*&$#F*(^($ when I put it on, for starters. Not kidding. I have a high pain tolerance (I have tattoos in some of the most notoriously painful spots) but this stuff felt like my underarms were being eaten alive. Horrible. Also, it broke me out...and not on my underarms. On my face. I have worked really hard to eradicate acne from my life, am very aware of what keeps me clear and when something sets me off. After several uses, the pattern was evident - I'd wake up the morning after applying this with angry breakouts, which is not the norm for me anymore. Sweating is a way that your body detoxes, and I guess cutting off that detox pathway meant my body had to push junk out through my skin. Bleh. I'd rather have the sweaty underarms. The problems stopped immediately when I gave up on the Certain Dri.

The best luck I've had with my underarms has been to ditch antiperspirant altogether and go for an all-natural, deodorant-only product (check out Primal Pit Paste). You still sweat, but it eradicates smell, and for me, the lack of aluminum has eliminated the problem of sweat staining my clothing. This probably wouldn't work for a chronically sweaty person, but I'm happy with that and just dressing my way around the sweat problem on active or hot days.

I'm sure this is worth it for some people. I wish it didn't cause me the issues it did, because it is a super effective product. Shame it didn't work out for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 9:43:00 PM More reviews by csquared14

There are very few cosmetic products out there that deserve the word "life-changing," and this is one of them.

No one likes to be a sweater (to the point where I was even like eh, do I really actually want to write about my adventures in sweat for this review?). I realized in middle school that I was, to an excessive degree. It's normal to sweat when you're hot or stressed or active. It's not normal to sit on your couch, watch TV, and sweat through your shirt - that was me. And let me tell you - being a teenager is bad. Being a teenager with sweat problems? Horrifically awful. I'm pretty sure I didn't raise my hand in class because I didn't want anyone to see. I wore all black not because of a goth phase, but because it is the only color that totally hides sweat stains.

Enter a tiny little blurb in Seventeen Magazine when I was about fifteen. It was written by a fellow sweater and recommended Certain Dri. I pretended that I needed lip gloss and had my mom drive me to Walgreen's (because, again, no one likes to talk about sweat). I snuck this up to the register and bought it. This was before the era of Secret's Clinical Strength, so the idea that there was a such thing as prescription-strength antiperspirant was kind of mind-blowing. And that was that - my sweating, while it didn't stop completely, was greatly reduced. I could wear colored t-shirts. I started trying in dance again, because I wasn't constantly living in fear that someone would comment on my pit stains (which they would, because fifteen year-old girls are terrible).

A few things about this. One, it won't stop you from sweating completely, but it does a darn good job. I applied it every day as an overzealous teenager - you don't have to do that (and probably shouldn't). It took a few days for me to first see results. Two, READ THE DIRECTIONS AND DO NOT APPLY RIGHT AFTER A SHOWER/SHAVING. Just don't. It burns like a m-f$@%er. Three, know that it's a much better deal and more effective than the more highly priced deodorant brands that have jumped on the clinical strength bandwagon recently.

Now, I'm in my twenties and the sweating has calmed down significantly, so I don't really use this anymore, except in situations where I know I'm going to be stressed out, etc. I used it for about eight years straight (with a few breaks here and there to try out the Secret stuff), so I really couldn't remember what it was like not to use it. One very important thing I did notice is that the skin under my arms significantly improved after I stopped using it (to be clear, I stopped using it every day once I sat my butt down and read the instructions). It is strong stuff and is definitely tough on your skin - I don't want to say the skin under my arms was discolored, because that's not the right word, but it was definitely darker and rougher. One of my friends uses it and, on the nights she doesn't apply it, actually uses coconut oil under her arms to help combat the skin issues and finds that it helps. If you seriously sweat like I did, this is probably an acceptable trade-off for you. If not - you've been warned and maybe want to go for the bigger brand clinical strength antiperspirants that are mixed with a deodorant and have skin conditioning properties (again, I didn't find them to be as effective).

Packaging is effective. It's not pretty, but you probably aren't going to sit this out on a nice shelf in your house anyway (hello, guests, I sweat excessively!). It's pricier than your basic deodorant, but less expensive than other clinical strength products. It has no deodorizing properties, so you're going to want to swipe on your favorite deodorant the next morning before heading out. I really only used it under my arms, but I've heard of it being effective with hands too. There are a ton of issues with the aluminum product in antiperspirants like this. It is, unfortunately, a bit of a necessary evil if you are a serious sweater and has to be a personal decision. It's one of the things that led to be seriously cutting down on my usage.

Anyway, this has been a long review, but bottom line - if you sweat a lot and are uncomfortable with it, you owe it to yourself to try this.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2014 2:34:00 AM More reviews by Abraxia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I picked this up at Walmart on a whim after having tried clinical strength deodorants to no avail and oh my heck is this one huge life saver! I've been struggling with sweat for many years (since I was thirteen specifically) and had pretty much given up when I spotted this on the very bottom shelf. I bought it not really expecting any sort of miracle but I quickly changed my mind. I used this as directed and I've honestly never been so clean and dry under my underarms, I will make sure to NEVER run out of this.
I didn't experience the burn that everyone else is talking about (probably because I have had laser hair removal on my armpits and no longer have the need to shave that area), but I have to agree that your skin might itch for a few days. This is due to the Aluminum Chloride in it which is working to dry your underarm sweat glands a little bit, NOT clog them as other reviewers have said.

Just a heads up on Aluminum Chloride, it's been linked to breast cancer in EXCESSIVE amounts, which has been proven countless times to not be a substantial amount to cause breast cancer in regards to antiperspirants. You should be just FINE using this stuff if you use it as directed, if you use in excessive amounts you might develop a rash but that's it. I used it once at night for the first three days and then stopped application. I've only been reapplying when I've noticed I've started sweating an incredible amount again.

Overall I say if you sweat a bunch or just have incredibly bad body odor that you're trying to take care of that deodorant simply can't handle all by itself get this, you won't regret it and at only four to seven dollars what have you got to lose, except maybe one of the best products on the market.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2014 10:59:00 PM More reviews by vanjasmine

Very easy application, no smell, dries fast, and you never have to worry about the antiperspirant getting on your clothing. Although I would recommend that you do not apply right after shaving because it could feel like your armpits are burning.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2014 5:19:00 PM More reviews by freyasfeathers

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Certain Dri is no joke. I bought this because it's the ONLY drugstore brand antiperspirant I can find that does not test on animals. There are cruelty free deodorants but I wanted a bona fide antiperspirant for the days I hike. Now, I don't sweat a lot, and most days I can wear nothing under my arms and I'm dry. I am very blessed with this. I usually just wear antiperspirant for " security" sake. So I picked up this bad boy Certain Dri roll on and put it on after shaving in my morning shower. WRONG!!!! I didn't read the instructions. You put it on at night, and it's suppose to last like 3 days. AND your not suppose to put it on after shaving. So about 10 minutes go by and my armpits are starting to burn. 30 minutes later I have these huge welts under both pits and my skin is starting to blister. The pain was atrocious. I jumped in the shower to wash off the Certain Dri but the damage was done. I gave myself one hell of a chemical burn. It took 2 weeks to heal. The upside is, I think I fried my sweat glands cause I haven't perspired under my arms in about 3 months now even with hiking. It's my own fault and I don't blame product.I didn't read the instructions. I also didn't need such a powerful antiperspirant to begin with. I found out later that they have an AM version that's has a lot less Aluminum Zinconium in it. That should have been my first purchase. If my sweat glands come back to life, I'll get that instead. Certain Dri is some powerful protection. I still gave 5 stars because I truly believe it works, not not docking it because of user error.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2014 9:26:00 PM More reviews by Glorylocks

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Five stars from me! An absolute must have. I have suffered for years from excessive underarm wetness. I haven't been diagnosed, but I suspect that hyperhidrosis is the culprit. This antiperspirant literally saves me so much embarrassment and need I add countless shirts! If you suffer from excessive underarm wetness like me..I would definitely recommend this! I'm on my second bottle in 2 years, so for roughly six dollars, this is a great deal!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/16/2014 8:52:00 PM More reviews by TayGraham

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have had the worst sweat stains ever. Certain Dri surprisingly works for me. I remember I tried it the first time and it didn't work that well, I guess I was using it wrong. But honestly it works miracles. I can wear colored shirts and randomly high five someone haha. Be cautious while using this product though. Can burn if applied too much and could clog your pores in the underarm.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/17/2013 10:37:00 PM More reviews by Kayss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was so happy when I found out about this product and read all the successful reviews. I'm a sophomore and I've have Hyperhidrosis since 8th grade. It got A LOT worse freshman year and I thought either I was just too hot all the time from what I was wearing or something. Then when someone told me something one day I had never been more embarrassed. So I started searching online and the first thing I found was SweatBlock. I thought that was going to fix it forever and it worked the first time I used it so I was happy. Then the sweating came back so I used it again and it just completely stopped working. (waste of money) So then I found the home remedies, vinegar, baking soda etc and nothing worked. Then I came across a video that mentioned Certain Dri and Hypercare. I don't want to talk to my mom about it because I'm too embarrassed but I'm going to have to. I bought Certain Dri for 7$ off ebay, telling my mom it was some skin care product. It worked fantastic the first two weeks or so, and I'm still using it now and it's just not working anymore. I don't know why, I really thought I found a solution. Oh well, I'm going to have to use Hypercare because it's my last resort and I don't want to live with this low self esteem for the rest of my high-school years. It may still work for you, though.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2013 3:02:00 AM More reviews by JumpingJellyBean

And yet another happy camper with this awesome product find. I am so grateful for Makeup Alley and being able to research about products before making most of my beauty purchases!

I would say that I have been using this product for almost a year now and have only wished that I could have found out about this product ten years ago. I have tried many different anti-perpirant / deodorants to no avail. None of the other so-called claimed "clinical strength" products, which I spent hundreds of dollars on come even close to what this product can do. I take my shower or baths in the evenings and shave every night, so I try to remember not to apply the product on immediately after a hot shower or shave as per the instructions. I have done so many times and the product will sting and itch for a bit. Bearable, but uncomfortable, so I don't recommend doing so immediately after either.

Nonetheless, this product took a few days to show results, but there has been a definite difference in my underarm sweating. It has almost completely gone away. I used to sweat and stain my clothes almost daily and haven't done so since I've started this product. I still wear an antiperspirant / deodorant during the day, but am now able to shop for that by scent and not by it's claims. I still wear Secret during the day, but no longer spend all that extra money on their clinical strength version that really never worked for me. I highly recommend this product and will continue to buy it as long as it's on the market.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2013 8:21:00 PM More reviews by panda126

This product is a life saver! I've been struggling with sweaty underarms since I was in 7th grade (I'm in 10th grade now) and this is the only thing that has worked! Don't bother with getting things like clinical strength from Secret or Degree- they don't work nearly as well. I will say it stings a good amount if you shave your arms before you apply this which can cause a few problems but I think it's worth it! I use the crystal deodorant in the morning and I have minimal-to-no sweating all day! It took about 2-3 days for this to really kick in and work but once you get to that point- you're golden! This has definitely given me back more of my confidence and I love not having to worry so much about what I'm wearing and whether or not sweat stains will be noticeable- cause now I have no sweat stains!!! (: