October 1, 2014 | 1587 users online

Conditioner - Desert Essence - Italian Red Grape Conditioner

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2014 1:08:00 AM More reviews by mrlincoln

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've had this for awhile, and use it off and on. It's not one I look forward to using. It's got a terrible, artificial grape kool aid scent. It's very thick, so I automatically choose it when my hair feels extra dry. I never get the results I think I should though. It coats and weighs my hair down even with the smallest amount.

I really enjoy Desert Essence's dental care line, so it's just natural for me to want to try their other products. This just didn't work for me, no big loss.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2011 11:40:00 AM More reviews by Stacela72

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great for color treated thick hair. I use this conditioner and the shampoo on my mostly gray, colored treated, thick, coarse hair and my hair is soft and beautiful. It prevents those little stray hairs that stick straight up at the part. I love the smell and way my hair looks after using this conditioner.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/28/2011 6:13:00 PM More reviews by CuteCliche

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Awful stuff!

I bought this along with the Italian Grape Conditioner, (you can see my review there as well.) I wanted something all-natural as I had had issue with my hair falling out as of late. This was one of the most natural I could find. Unfortunately that was the ONLY pro about this.

First of all, the tubes are sealed, which I suppose is good for ensuring quality products, but it means you can't smell the fragrance. It claims to be natural, but it smells far too overpowering for that to me. This conditioner had the most powerful, irritating scent I've ever smelled. I figured I'd give it a try, as it might just smell that way because it is concentrated in the bottle. I also figured it might wash out/vanish quite a bit when my hair was dry. Not so. The smell was just as strong a day later. I did rinse my hair thoroughly, but it was still there. It gave me a nasty headache and made my eyes water. As the day wore on it turned from a "grape juice" smell to a more "sour wine smell" which was not good on hair. Even my boyfriend commented he could smell my nasty hair from a mile away. I tried covering it up with lightly scented styling products, but it masked everything and continued to linger. I had to wash it 3x with a SLS-clarifying conditioner to get it out and it is still there a tad bit. If you have sensitivities to smell, this is NOT the product for you. Had it been a little subtler, I would probably have liked it. Even the lady at Whole Foods took a whiff when I told her about the smell and was almost knocked off her feet!

Another issue with this conditioner was how watery it was. It was extremely runny and would come out in big squirts all at once, meaning a lot of wasted product down the drain. It is not thick like most conditioners are. It felt more like the shampoo with white coloring added. I put a little on and it didn't feel clean, so I put on some more and it STILL did not feel clean. It felt almost gummy and waxy. I didn't scrub my roots as I normally do after the fiasco of the watery shampoo, but my hair was still a nasty, knotty mess while wet. I got out of the shower and began to gently towel dry and comb my hair with a wide-toothed comb, and my hair started "gumming" up on itself (if that makes sense) making MORE tangles. The conditioner did nothing for de-tangling. I dried my hair and my hair felt waxy (as if I were touching the outside of a grape) and gummy on the shaft and dry and brittle at the roots. As the day wore on, my hair got increasingly more gunky and dry and brittle. My hair felt worse out of the shower than I did before I went in! I do not feel that the conditioner actually conditioned my hair at all, rather, it coated it with a "waxy" substance.

I took it back to Whole Foods after one use. The lady said that it was the 3rd return they'd had that month of that flavor. Now I can see why! It is really a shame that it made my hair feel so awful, considering it was expensive and purported to be organic and chemical free. :( Guess I need to keep looking! Thank goodness for WF's return policy!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2011 1:03:00 AM More reviews by maryamaz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this on a whim, even though I don't have color-treated hair. I love the grape smell, though I know it may not be for some. I usually use shampoo bars with an ACV rinse, or Giovanni's Tea Tree Triple Treat (or the Trader Joe's Tea Tree shampoo). When I first tried this conditioner, I felt like there was definitely not enough 'slip' (as another reviewer put it) but then I started really getting it into my ends, and leaving it on for 5 or so minutes, and it's magic! My hair is so manageable and soft because of this. I've rebought this a number of times.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/11/2010 5:24:00 PM More reviews by SamanthaJustine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to love this but it just does not have enough slip for me. I use shampoo bars and need something with slip to help keep my hair from tangling.
This smells just like grape koolaid. There is a faint smell after washing it out but not as much as I would like.
The conditioner is thin and on the hair feels like I do not have enough no matter how much I apply.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2010 3:38:00 PM More reviews by darkharbour

Thick white cream conditioner that smells like grape jam. Leaves my hair soft but not coated or greasy. I have shoulder length nauturally curly hair that is colored and foiled, and prone to damage and frizziness. This works well. Lovely tube container.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/19/2010 2:18:00 PM More reviews by rikasmith

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Worked okay, but didn't give outstanding results. Smells nice.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/6/2010 10:26:00 PM More reviews by portcutie77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I cannot say I really liked this conditioner. I have very curly, frizzy, dry and color treated hair. I used to relax my hair, but I haven't relaxed it in about 2 years so the relaxer has pretty much grown out. I also tend to get a very dry, itchy scalp at times. But I digress. I bought this conditioner once and the smell, I have to say, is DIVINE. But otherwise- not very moisturizing for my type of hair, I couldn't comb through my hair that easily after using the conditioner, and I really saw no difference in dryness or curl definition. Now, my sister has less curly hair than I do, and it is also not quite as dry, as she likes this. If you are someone with hair like mine, there are better conditioners to use.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2010 8:10:00 AM More reviews by sparker884

I LOVE this conditioner & shampoo! I have dry relaxed hair and this stuff makes it soft, shiney and frizz-free. I really like the smell too! It's free of harsh chemicals and not too expensive. If you buy it at a local store it may cost you 9 dollars but try looking online. Many sites have it on sale for 4 dollars!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2010 9:51:00 AM More reviews by rxqueen011

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really like this conditioner. It smoothes and detangles my hair like no other. Whenever I've been at the beach, I use the coordinating shampoo and conditioner. The results are fabulous! My hair is left frizz-free, shiney and bouncy. It must be something to do with the salts because I don't get the same results any other time. Not even after swimming in the pool! I live in South FL and get a lot of usage out of this product. It is cheap at Vitacost and I will continue to purchase.