September 20, 2014 | 1781 users online

Hair Treatments - LUSH - snake oil massage bar

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2013 10:51:00 AM More reviews by chickengifts

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I swear, this is amazing for dandruff or dry scalp. My hair looks a lot shinier too. I used to have extreme dandruff, with giant flaking, it was horrible, but only this cured it. Olve oil doesn't do anything for my scalp. I really don't know which ingredient it is that works in it.

I remarked that many people find troubles using it. I cut it up in around 10-12 pieces. One piece for every use. Then i put it in the microwave until it has melted, and massage my scalp with it. You should massage all the scalp, and use enough of it.

The only problem is the price, in my opinion. Would love to have it since I've got dandruff again but I don't think it's very cheap, considering you can only use it around 10-12 times.

The smell isn't very pleasant, but my mother finds it waaay worse than I find it. However, the smell is completely gone after washing my hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2013 2:31:00 PM More reviews by princessmaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

i used to use this a lot during my teens, i don't really suffer with dandruff anymore. it really helped clear up my dandruff, even after the first use. i will always remember the smell though.. and it's not great. the smell doesn't linger once you wash it out.
but you apply this before you wash your hair and rub it into the scalp. i used to brush the bar into my scalp gently, the bar would get softer in your hands.
definitely a must-have if you have bad dandruff!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/29/2013 1:39:00 AM More reviews by ristari

I have bad dandruff and have tried a number of different treatments. I purchased this product after a particularly bad week of dandruff, in an effort to soothe and relieve the itching and flaking. I also use the Lush Soak & Float shampoo bar which is quite effective, but tends to dry out my normally oily/combination scalp; in that sense I think the snake oil bar compliments the drying effect of the soak & float. The snake oil bar might not be suitable if you have a particularly oily scalp though.

I think snake oil definitely relieves a dry flaking scalp, however it's biggest drawback is it's difficult to melt and apply (especially if you live in a cooler climate). If it came as balm or an serum it would be easier to use compared with a solid bar, and I'd give it a higher score and maybe even buy it again.

To apply, I usually shave some off with my nail, then melt in my palms before massaging into my scalp. I also tend to leave overnight and wash out in the morning. I use this product sparingly so think it's good value as a little goes a long way. And you're more likely to get build up if you use too much of it - I recommend using a vinegar rinse once a week (1/4 cup brown vinegar + 3/4 cup warm water) to remove any build up, works a treat for styling products too and you end up with super-shiny hair (and no, there's no smell if you rinse properly!).

I know many have commented on the smell of snake oil; I have to say it doesn't bother me at all and is nothing compared to the intensity of the soak & float solid shampoo!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2012 6:37:00 PM More reviews by xoxoxol

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've had pretty bad psoriasis for about ten years, and it's worse on my scalp in winter. After seeing a trichologist (and her treatments working wonders), I decided to give this bar a go to see if I could find a cheaper way of dealing with my skin.

I've found Snake Oil to work really well, even when I don't have enough time to leave it in very long. It takes off almost all of the scaly skin on my scalp, and the effects last about two days before it comes back. It's genuinely made such a difference to my quality of life, and is way less time consuming than other things I've tried.

I haven't found it difficult at all to remove the oil from my hair, and actually quite like the smell (though it is a little strong!) This bar's a little pricey, and it would be easier to use if it came as an oil, but it's definitely worth a go if you've got a problem scalp!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2011 9:27:00 PM More reviews by xxgetaway

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this product. I've developed some really bad eczema since I moved to Sydney and this bar does help me a lot with my dry, itchy and flaky skalp. I like the smell and it doesn't bother me at all. I do it in a quirky way but it works for me: I cut this bar in small pieces (around 0.5x0.5cm) then take a piece and massage it directly into the skalp, it melts fast when pressed with your fingers. I leave it overnight when my hubby's away (he hates the smell) - otherwise I wear a shower cap (and wrap a towel around to keep my head warm) for a couple of hours. I sometimes apply this oil to the driest parts of my body as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/18/2011 11:58:00 AM More reviews by spf30

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is what I use in a flakey scalp crisis! I find the most beneficial way is to massage it in in the evening, keep in overnight and wash in the morning. However, I do find it awkward to apply as you have to warm the bar in your hands somehow make good contact with the scalp. One lippy off for this.
I'm a fan of the solid LUSH shampoo bars too, and if you haven't tried the 'Ultimate Shine' shampoo bar, I would really recommend it (contains violet leaf apparently to decongest the scalp). Since I've been using this bar I've not had the Snake out at all! For me, Ultimate Shine works even better then Soak n Float which is actually marketed as the one for problem scalps.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2011 2:33:00 AM More reviews by petdoc

I received this in a swap, and have been very pleased with how it works for me. I have battled dandruff my whole life, and am always rotating my hair products and trying new things when my dandruff starts to get unmanageable. I find it time consuming to use the snake oil bar, but it is very worthwhile! I have used it a few times so far, and each time I use it, I literally see huge sheets of dry skin all over my scalp sloughing off like a snake shedding it's skin (I guess that's how it got it's name?!). I break off chips of the bar with my fingernail, let the pieces melt in my palms, rub my hands together to get them all oily, and then give myself a scalp massage. I have to do this a few times to get enough oil to cover my whole scalp, spend about 5 minutes massaging my scalp, and then leave it on for another 20 minutes before I shower (or sleep with it in and shower in the morning). I don't have any problems washing the oil out of my hair, even with just one shampoo. I haven't tried rubbing the bar on my head since other comments warned there would be too much oil deposition, but maybe I'll try that next to see if it speeds up the treatment process. The skin on my scalp left after the dandruff has shed off is smooth and flake free! I still don't have perfect skin, but it gets rid of 90+% of my dandruff which is a lot! The dry areas I find left, may just be places I didn't massage enough product into. I am amazed at how great this stuff works! I am only giving it 4 stars because it is time consuming to use. I would prefer it to already be in oil form, so I don't have to waste time melting it. But I will definitely purchase when I run out!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2011 8:42:00 PM More reviews by StrawberryQueen

My dandruffs are gone thanks to this product. Its so nice and smoothens your scalp, moisturizes but smells bad. But it is for use before shower so it's not a big deal :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2010 5:15:00 PM More reviews by violet_avalon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product!
First of all, I must admit that I have only used this sporadically so I haven't evaluated whether the continued use has the desired effect on the scalp. I do suffer from itchy scalp and dandruff from time to time and when I used this it provided relief to these conditions afterwards.
The bar has a really strong smell, very herbal and medicinal, and it can be unpleasant if you're sensitive to smells. I cut my bar in half for a more practical use. During the Summer I find that it's very easy to warm the bar in your hands, rub it a bit in your fingers and palms and then apply that ointment to your scalp, massaging it a bit.
I usually leave the product for a couple of hours - I couldn't sleep with it on my scalp because the smell is too intense. Then I wash my hair with Seanik (a shampoo that I find dries my hair too much normally, but works wonders this way). I wash it twice and it's really important to wash the snake oil away, otherwise the hair gets greasy and horrible. Afterwards I use a bit of Jungle and the result is amazing, shiny and bouncy hair. It feels healthy and light. And it's really the Snake Oil that makes the difference because I use the other products regularly without the same results.
I'll definitely buy again, as a treat for my hair and scalp.
continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2010 5:02:00 PM More reviews by graznik

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

During winter I suffer from a dry and flakey scalp and this little bar has really improved it.
I use it as a treatment before I wash my hair. I usually heat the bar up for a few seconds with my hairdryer, rub the oil in and repeats until my whole scalp is well covered. Either I just leave it in for a few hours or I apply it before I go to bed and sleep with it. It washes out easily with some schampoo and it leaves my scalp less itchy and dry. It hasn't totally cured it, but pretty much.
The smell is a bit peculiar. Not nasty at all, but quite strong and really herbal. I don't mind it much though.
Will definitly buy this again.