October 22, 2014 | 1780 users online

Treatments (Face) - Derma E - skin lighten

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2012 2:10:00 PM More reviews by Rapunzell

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love this product. I had some sun spots on my chest and did some TCA peels which helped a little but it was still uneven. This cleared it all up. IF you have patience and give this a few months to work, it gently lightens the skin. I now use it on my face and the results are wonderful, it removes spots and brightens the skin. Will continue to use even after all spots are gone. Safer than the standard lighteners, this is a keeper!! I love the texture, creamy and soaks right in!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/18/2012 3:40:00 AM More reviews by thandiepixie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Just had to write a review to prevent others making the same mistake.

After reading the good reviews for this product, i ordered two jars. Let me say that this cream has the worst texture ever. Felt like i was applying sudocrem paste to my face. Horrid!

Didnt use it long enough to find out if it was effective or not. You couldn't pay me to use this product on my skin daily. Threw it in the trash.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/14/2012 6:33:00 PM More reviews by hafiza1

This product is great for evening out skin tone, however, if you have severe acne marks or hyperpigmentation, this product may not be strong enough and takes a couple of months to show considerable eveness in your skin tone.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/28/2011 12:21:00 PM More reviews by yodawg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really liked derm e's microderm scrub so I thought id try another product from their line. I was hoping this creame would fade my dark sports and ligthen my skin but either it works too slow or isnt effective on my skin because made a very negligible difference for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2011 6:25:00 PM More reviews by scribe9

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product for a week and I'm rating this practically a 5 all around. After 7 days of using this product I have already gotten two compliments at work about how lovely my skin looks. That is all I ever want is compliments on how well my skin looks and how beautiful my hair is, and if products get me those compliments than they are a 5 stars in my book.

First a little bit about me. I am mixed, unfortunately the mix is a little jumbled, so I don't have skin that is all the same chocolate-brown colour like most mix girls I've met. My sister was not born with this problem her skin seems to be all one beautiful Mahogany colour. My skin goal is to have evened out my skin. Right now, I am just concentrating on my acne scars and face/neck/chest.

So as a mixed girl I was a little ashamed to go into a store and buy Skin Lightening cream, so I bought it on amazon for pretty cheap.

The first thing I noticed about the cream was that it was thick, but once I rubbed it in all over my face I soon realized that it was not moisturizing. After I rubbed it into my skin then re-dabbed the acne scars on my face I would let it sit while I went through the rest of my bathroom routine. I would re-rub the scars again and then apply moisturizer, then sun-screen. I did this sometimes twice a day and sometimes only once a day. On the bottle it says to use it between 3-4 days a week twice a daily, but since I wasn't using it twice a day I figured I could apply it every day.

I personally like this product because:
-it doesn't have harmful bleaching ingredients,
-it has overall brightened and
-even out my skin
-I already have seen improvement in some of my acne scars.

Also, I have not broken out at all from this product. My acne break-outs are due to hormonal imbalance, not due to products. Because I have balanced out my hormones (knocks on wood!) my acne went away and all that was left were the hyperpigmentation scars.

The only down side to this product is that it is in a jar, but because I'm mostly spot checking I just dip in a q-tip (once only!) and apply then use the other side or get a new q-tip. I'm hoping this will keep everything sanitary.

I'm hoping in the next month or two that I can find another product that brightens and evens out my skin only. I don't plan on having a Skin Lightener in my daily routine forever. Once the acne marks fade away then it will be time to put this product away until it is needed again.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2010 3:24:00 AM More reviews by saphiric

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Other

Alright, I had extremely low expectations for this product and was preparing myself to be massively let down if it didn't work. After all, the licorice root extract (the only seemingly effective lightening ingredient) wasn't even first on the list.

Yet, after about 2 weeks of using this, you can color me pleasantly surprise!

My dark, concentrated post-acne hyperpigmentation has evened out to very light, scattered spots and I'm hoping with more applications, it will disintegrate completely. My skin tone is much more evened and clear, and I am never happier. To think, after all those years of using Palmer's hydroquinone products (a complete FAIL btw), and splurging on Skinceuticals Pigment Regulator with Arbutin and other irritating plant-based lightening ingredients, who would have thunk Derma E had a hidden little gem in their closet of skincare products? The only big negative with this is the jar packaging. For some reason Derma e loves to use jars rather than bottles. If they change this nasty unhygienic habit, they would definitely be up there in my top skincare lines pick.

Overall though, this is a product you must try if you are like me, struggling with uneven skin tone, sun/age spots or hyperpigmentation of any type. I buy mine from iherb.com, which always have the best prices for Derma e products. With code SAP342 you can save $5 on your first order, no minimum purchase (or $10 off $40) and it never expires (:

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2010 4:21:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

ABOUT ME: Normal-combination, sensitive, prone to seborrheic dermatitis, acne, and hyperpigmentation. Currently using Tazorac to control acne.

SCENT & TEXTURE: No real scent, which is good. The texture is surprising. It looks like Crisco, but it does not feel greasy. In fact, despite looking, er, fatty, it's actually kind of a 'dry'-feeling cream that absorbs quickly and leaves a matte finish (it may make you oilier later in the day if it's warm or you have combination or oily skin). I think it's easiest to use on damp skin. It has not clogged my pores, caused any breakouts or irritated my skin. It will not be moisturizing enough for dry skin. I use a separate eye cream and sometimes mix in a facial oil for dry weather.

PERFORMANCE: This won't lighten your skin dramatically, but it will help fade a tan. I've been using it for about a month and am pleased to find that my face now matches my neck. It also has faded a few dark post-acne marks slightly and generally evened and brightened my complexion. It also hasn't clogged any pores, broken me out, or irritated my dermatitis. Very pleased. I've started using it on my elbows and knees to lighten those areas up a bit too.

PACKAGING: Simple plastic jar. I would prefer if they put this in a squeeze tube, but it's not a big deal. I just make sure my hands are clean before dipping into it.

PRICE/AVAILABILITY: Relatively inexpensive, though not cheap. I got mine for about 16 USD on iherb.com. You get 2 oz. and the ingredients are pretty good, so it's a fair deal.

REPURCHASE?: Yes.

INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), caprylic/capric triglyceride, stearic acid, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, silybum marianum (milk thistle) extract, titanium dioxide, ascorbyl palmitate (c-ester), glyceryl stearate and PEG-100 stearate, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), retinyl palmitate (vitamin A), panax ginseng root extract, sodium hydroxide, dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin.

ETA: Well, I've used this moisturizer nearly everyday for almost 4 weeks. My skin is overall much more even and brighter. I've received compliments from several people, which is surprising to me since I never hear compliments about my skin. I will definitely keep using this cream!
continued >>

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2010 8:54:00 PM More reviews by woldmaster

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

Hi, i am planning on buying this product but i have a question about it. The skin under my eyes are dark so can this product clear my face from those dark spots under my eyes? :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2010 11:40:00 PM More reviews by lemonkim88

I've been using this product for about 3 months i guess.
I was desperately searching for an organic skin lightening creme for the dark spots on my left butt. Yes this is embarrassing, but I don't know why I have this on my left butt only!! I was pretty self conscious about it.
I did not want to use anything that might be harmful to my skin, so i gave it a go.

You need some patience with this product. I guess it won't show remarkable results in 3 weeks. I recommend using this product for at least 2 months.
The dark spots on my left butt started to fade little by little.
And I am absolutely happy about it.

Recently I've been applying this on my knees, my face, and neck area.
My knees seem to get brighter and lighter.
And my face, this is actually the only moisturizer that won't break me out. Even organic stuffs, and aloe vera gel would break me out , but this one just keeps my skin moisturized, yet not oily at all.
I go out with no makeup these days, and I'm just so happy about it.

I will definitely buy this product again, and I'm thinking about buying it a bulk so I can apply it to my whole body!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2010 2:44:00 AM More reviews by poivre27

UPDATE:
It's been a little less than a month of me using this product. Yes, it has brightened and lightened my skin without it turning greyish. This is no miracle product just yet for my acne marks, but it definitely has lightened them compared to before, however macules fade over time any way. I am happy that this product did not break me out at all, in fact my skin has gotten a little more clear with my routine of gentle cleanser + witch hazel toner, this cream, and exfoliating.

One thing I really dislike about this moisturizer is that it makes my oily t-zone MUCH more apparent after a few hours of having this on. It almost looks like tiny beads of sweat are on my nose. I have oily skin, yes, but it seems like it only ends up looking THIS bad when I use this product. So, I have decided I will continue to use this moisturizer on my acne marks/uneven skin tone around my mouth and chin area, but I will not use it all over my face. I'm on the search for a better moisturizer, and will probably not be repurchasing unless I see better results in the next few months.

ORIGINAL POST:

Wow, this stuff really does lighten your skin. I bought it mainly to try and lighten up my acne scars, but have been using it all over my face for about 2 weeks. It really has brightened my complexion. As for the acne scars, it may be too early to tell, so I will update in about a month if I notice the scars have lightened as well. I also like that I can use it under my eyes (not that I'm expecting it to lighten my dark circles). I also like how this product "lightens" the skin, but does not bleach it, so this should be a plus for medium-darker skin tones (I have a light-medium skin colour).

The cons are that it is pretty expensive, and is a very poor moisturizer. My skin does not feel smooth when I have this on, it sort of reminds me of the "squeaky" feel of washed tupperware. Of course it's not that dramatic on my skin but it just does not have a pleasant feeling to it. I definitely have to wear a regular moisturizer on top of it. I also noticed that the formula turns yellowish. When you first get it, it's a cream white. After you use it for some time, yellow patches show up where the product was moved. I am not sure if the heat from a finger causes some sort of chemical reaction. Finally, although the packaging is adorable and I like the look of it, it is not very hygienic since you have to dip your finger in it everytime.