November 28, 2014 | 1895 users online

Cleansers - Spectro - Spectro Jel Cleanser for Combination skin

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2014 5:57:00 AM More reviews by Carybear

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

There's a lot to like about spectro jel. There's a few things that bother me.
I prefer this formula to the blemish prone formula, I have text book combo skin, which is sensitive and pigmented.
I was using a product by Marcelle (ultra gentle cleansing gel- it's a new product and I've reviewed it under "unlisted" as I'm the only one who's reviewed it yet)
But the combination of cetyl alcohol and stearic acid clog pores over time :( I really like the new Marcelle cleanser as it's cheap and doesn't irritate my skin.
However, the clogged pores I cannot abide. So I switched back to spectro jel. It's never had caused me facial skin issues, but I have problems with the skin on the palms of my hands. I was sure the formaldehyde releasing chemicals. I've tried going chemical free-using just honey, just oatmeal, just red clay...The greenwashing doesn't work for me. I am beginning to think it's all bunk.
I do not have active acne, when I get a pimple it's due or either diet or cosmetic irritation. When I try and new product and I get a pimple I do think "purge" I think "crap" because I've learned skin doesn't purge. That's a myth. Sorry kids :j

I'll update in one month to report how this and my Clinique Mild Clarifying lotion do for my skin.
***UPDATE***
June 2014-I've gone back to spectro because
A) it's what my dermatologist had originally recommended (in 1997)
B) I'm too afraid of Dove
C) I'm tired of spending $$$ on cleansers.
It's not HG, but I doubt I'll ever find an HG facial cleanser /:
***UPDATE***
October 2014-I have tried a few times to use this again. I was really struggling with this "bumpy chin" skin, which I'd assumed was either clogged pores or PD.
So I went to the dermatologist. He said I have a *sensitivity* to fatty alcohols, such as cetyl alcohol. What I had was dermatitis indeed, but NOT perioral. It was contact dermatitis. He said to use Dove and Impruv cream.
I did that until I repaired the damage, and Ive moved on.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2014 7:34:00 PM More reviews by stephdev

I have sensitive reactive skin that will breakout frequently. This is gentle and cleanses thouroughly. Helps keep my skin clear but not dry.

I foolishly stepped away from this cleanser and have two huge pimples to pay for it!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2013 12:17:00 AM More reviews by supnikkki

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've had troublesome skin for over ten years and I've been using it ever since my doctor recommended it. I like the consistency of the jel. I find it to be somewhat thicker so when you're using it against your face, it's not dripping off. It does its job by washing away impurities and oil from your skin, does not irritate your eyes and is good to remove non-waterproof mascara with. When it comes to removing foundation, I would suggest using an exfoliating brush (I use a manual one I purchased at Sephora for cheap) to help, since the circular motions on your skin I don't find to be enough. I like to use it at bed time, before I use a toner and my moisturizer.

Also, I know people complain about the scent, but I hardly notice it - not to mention this is a product you use on your skin less than a minute as a cleaner. It's not meant to make your olfactory go "omg wow". I think people should appreciate how Spectro has made this product fragrance-free, saving you from potentially irritating fragrances.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/4/2013 11:18:00 PM More reviews by danea

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Unfortunately this cleanser is not for me. After only a couple days of using it, my face broke out in terribly painful acne (and in places on my face I'd never had acne before!). I used it for a total of a week before giving up and buying something else that I knew had worked for me in the past.

Also unfortunately, my face still hasn't gone back to the way it used to be before using Spectro Jel. I've never had sensitive skin issues before but I must be allergic to something in this cleanser (which is sort of odd considering this cleanser is supposed to be made for people with sensitive skin, is fragrance free, sulphate free, paraben free, soap free and pH balanced).

other things I noted when I used it:
-it had a fairly strong smell
-milky appearance
-needed more than I typically do for other cleansers
-good price for the amount you get

Just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for others.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/29/2013 2:00:00 AM More reviews by Aceline05

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this product for free and noticed that it was from the pharmaceutical company GSK. I have combination/dry skin so I was interested to find a product that didn't strip away the moisture especially with the winter season coming. First impressions: Opaque white liquid with gel like consistency. One of the main things I noticed was the smell. There is a scent of medicine/rubbing alcohol and it becomes more obvious when you put it on your face. Lather: The cleanser doesn't lather and I had to use a bit more product than usual (more than dime sized). I didn't really feel anything significant. However when I went to wash the cleanser off, I felt as if there was a layer of moisture over my skin. After: Skin felt cleaned but still retained moisture and did not get the tight feeling which was good. The smell was also gone. Verdict: It is a gentle cleanser for me but I didn't like the rubbing alcohol smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2013 2:28:00 PM More reviews by bazzo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Spectro Jel does not get the attention it deserves. My doctor recommended me to use this brand 8 years ago to treat my acne-prone skin during junior high school, and I have never turned to another cleanser since.

This gel is a smooth, no-nonsense cleanser that gets you CLEAN. No foaming and bubbles to irritate any sores or other problems on the skin - it is incredibly gentle. Though I've used this cleanser as part of a rigorous routine, it is the foundation of what I do twice everyday, and is gentle enough for whenever I feel oily. Make sure to massage it well into your skin for about a minute to feel really refreshed - the gel-based cleanser makes it so it's not such a chore :)

Fairly-priced and gentle for nearly any skin type. DEFINITELY will repurchase again. It's a staple cleanser that should be a part of any daily routine.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/18/2012 2:59:00 PM More reviews by siobhan9705

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have VERY sensitive oily & dry skin.

This product doesn't strip my skin of moisture like alot of products for oily skin do to me. It has no smell, and is not irritating AT ALL! Very gentle.

I definitely recommend this brand for people with intolerant skin such as mine.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/21/2012 7:31:00 PM More reviews by savyy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This did nothing to help my acne, though it didn't make it worse. I thinks it's great for sensitive skin, it's gentle and non-drying and skin feels clean after but not tight.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2011 9:42:00 PM More reviews by kaileym

This is for sure my favorite basic cleanser. I have mild acne, but this doesnt help much with it... it keeps my skin balanced. Lately i have been trying many different products to help my acne (cetaphil, proactiv, clean and clear, neutrogena, ect), and when those don't work the way i would like them to, i always come back to this until i try something new. It doesn't remove my makeup well, but as long as i get rid of it with a wipe before, im good to go. I will buy this again, because it is a really good basic cleanser for my problematic skin, and doesn't dry my skin out.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/31/2011 8:23:00 PM More reviews by xyoru

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Other

Not good for washing any makeup off. Therefore I use in the mornings or at night before going to bed. I also use this for cleaning off any exfoliating masks (like the aspirin mask) and it's awesome for that!
I use it with a small scrubby pad (similar to the ones that come with the l'oreal 360 cleansers) and it really helps clean my face than if I was just to use my hands alone. What I also like is I can apply it right on my face without having to lather it in some water first. I also got over the smell pretty quickly. Price for me was alright, I paid around $11 and it came with a full size moisturizer (which I hated) and it lasted me for around half a year.
Packaging isn't too bad either, it's not anything special, but it works! It pumps out just the right amount of product, and while I did find that some of the gel "froze" over the opening of the pump, it's not hard to clean it up.
Overall it's an OK product, I only would repurchase just to clean my skin on those days where I'm not going out. Or to just wash off masks.