October 22, 2014 | 911 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Gentle Sun Protection Lotion for Sensitive skin and Babies

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2014 1:32:00 AM More reviews by worrly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This has been my go to sunscreen for the past few years due to it's ease in finding it readily in department and drugstores in Canada. It's a pure mineral based sunscreen mixed with several types of silicone and a bit of alcohol. It definitely leaves a white layer but has protected me very well even when I don't get a chance to reapply.

My bottle is expired but I still use it no problem. It has that trademark Shiseido scent that I really like though it's the most pricey sunscreen I purchase. It does leave a greasy feeling on the skin but is liquidy and spreads easily. The container is shaped to fit the hand easily so you can dispense with one hand but some oozes out the sides. I put it in a ziplock bag when I'm out along with a damp hand towel. It's rated SPF 33 and I haven't gotten dark using this but it's water resistant.

Due to the silicone base, it's really hard to remove but I've discovered that cleansing oils remove sunscreen quite well. I guess that would explain why Shiseido makes one themselves though it's really overpriced for something that is mostly mineral oil. I use the ones that don't clean my face really well along with my Body Shop Flannel cloth.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2014 10:44:00 PM More reviews by jonny4

In Asia, there are two gentle spf 30 sunscreens. One is called the Gentle Sun Protection Lotion and the newer one is the Urban Environment UV Protector Extra Mild SPF30 PA+++. I have used both and the newer Urban Environment UV Protector Extra Mild doesn't match up to the Gentle Sun Protection Lotion, especially in terms of texture.

If applied on freshly cleansed skin the Urban Environment UV Protector Extra Mild is sticky even after absorption. However if applied over skin that has been toned and moisturized it gets really sticky and doesn't seem to absorb at all. It dries dewy. A nightmare in a hot humid environment.

Meanwhile the Gentle Sun Protection Lotion is lighter than its SPF30 counterpart and dries semi matte. My only complaint would be the slight tackiness after it dries and absorbs. It's not labeled anywhere as water or sweat resistant but it doesn't come off easily with a regular foaming cleanser. A cleansing oil would be ideal to remove this sunscreen.

Another good point about this sunscreen is its oil control capabilities. Must be the work of the silica and silicones. My skin doesn't get dry using this sunscreen and so far I have suffered no breakouts. Protection wise this sunscreen holds up well and I have not gotten any sun burns. A perfect sunscreen for day to day use.

I have this feeling that Shiseido might discontinue this sunscreen in Asia as the newer Urban Environment UV Protector Extra Mild is more profitable for them. Urban Environment UV Protector Extra Mild comes in a small 50ml tube and costs RM130, while the Gentle Sun Protection Lotion comes in a generous 100ml size and costs only RM115.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/5/2013 7:25:00 AM More reviews by Yami84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've been using this product for almost 3 years and absolutely loving it. I have an acne prone skin and this lotion doesn't break out my skin. I have several black spots, but after using it, there is no appearance of new spots. The lotion does it's jobs. I usually use this product every morning before applying makeup. I live in Indonesia with tropical climate, and i found that if I wear the lotion for outdoor activity, my face will get greasy and shiny. And it's not sweat proof, so I have to reapply it after several hours. But if I stay indoor, the lotion will last all day. The product is expensive, but it's still worth the price since you'll get 100 ml. One bottle will last for 6-8 months if you wear it thinly everyday. Sadly, the product sale was discontinued in Indonesia 2-3 months ago, so I have to buy it in Singapore or Hongkong. In overall, this is a lovely product and worth buying.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2013 12:51:00 AM More reviews by shorty87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a pretty good sunscreen. I used the Shiseido Urban Environment one before this (the white one) and that made my face into a greaseball. I have really oily skin unfortunately and this one was better at keeping the oils at bay. However, I do still get oily after a few hours (just not as oily as the Urban Environment). Still on the search for a good oil-controlling sunscreen!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2013 2:01:00 AM More reviews by thirdsword

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used to skip over the pricey department store sun care products and would try to find a drugstore sunscreen that wasn't goopy, greasy, and in a monster-sized bottle (the sun doesn't shine too often in Vancouver, and because it's cold pretty much throughout the academic year I'm usually covered up). While I found that the Hawaiian Tropic Sensitive Skin Face Sunscreen fit the bill, I've only seen it at one Shoppers location around me (though if you can find it and you're on a budget I highly recommend it!). Then there are the sunscreens that have been imported from Japan, but they require a bit of work to find, and they often come in the tiniest bottles ever (30mL? That's for one entire adult body!). Fed up, I decided to take the splurge and buy a sunscreen from Shiseido. At the time that I had bought it, the sun had been shining for a week straight, but the day after, the weather had gone back to its usual cloudy. Frustrating, yes, but once the sun came out again, I gave the product a try. The bottle is nice to hold, but once I opened it and squeezed out some sunscreen, I noticed the mess all over the bottle's mouth, which was not of the kind that looked like it was modelled after the Krazy Glue spouts. The formula is runny and once applied, it dries to a smooth finish. It has to be rubbed in well to keep the sunscreen from ransferring onto dark clothing too much (that was a letdown). The product leaves a slight white cast, which I don't mind, but it may be a problem for darker-skinned users.

(I have yet to try this on my face, but I'm worried about it turning my makeup orange, plus I usually use BB cream to protect my skin there.)

They really mean it when they say this sunscreen is water-resistant! It literally sticks to your skin and doesn't budge. I don't burn, so I can't say whether this would work for those who are prone to burning, but it certainly kept me from tanning.

Again, since this product has so much staying power, it needs to be removed with something oil-based. I used plain old olive oil for this, which was fine.

Aside from the packaging issues and the oxides rubbing onto my clothes, this product is a keeper. Finally, no more sticky drugstore sunscreen for me!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2012 6:43:00 PM More reviews by tsh82

i really love this ss, it doesn't break me out. at first i thought oh my so liquidy. but then it doesn't make my face oily at the end of the day like it usually is. so I'm very happy and it is the best match to my shiseido serum without breaking out my face :) the only thing I'm cringing at s the price... omg... $59 for 100 ml... ok i hope it last for a while

rated 1 of 5 on 7/1/2012 4:29:00 PM More reviews by Joy16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this last year when the lady recommended this for me. I now use it everyday in the summer. At first I loved it, it sinks in quickly, leaves a white cast but I like it, purely physical sunscreen and not greasy at all! It provides good oil-control for the face but I rather use a bb cream with spf in it. It is REALLY hard to get off the face. Use an oil-based cleanser. NEVER use this for the body. I used it for a month or so everyday and I noticed my skin was getting paler and paler. After I get out of the shower, my legs skin were peeling. I wanted to cry. In the shower, if you look at your skin at a certain angle there is a white cast on it and if you rub it, some white stuff like eraser bits come out... I think the sunscreen is causing it. It is too water-resistant. I am never using this again.If you have to same drying issue, use vaseline clinical therapy intensive rescue. NEVER USE THIS ON THE BODY!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/28/2011 3:29:00 AM More reviews by sydney69

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

At first I thought this was great - very liquid and lightweight, it seemed to sink right in and not whiten my skin too much, and it was non-irritating. But after a few days I found I was getting whiter and whiter, and I realised that it wasn't washing off at the end of the day. It says it's water-resistant - they're not kidding! You need a cleansing oil or makeup remover to get this off, which is a deal-breaker for me. I wear minimal makeup, and I don't want to have to use an oily remover every single day on my face. It also seemed to dry out my skin by the end of the day, so that the fine lines around my eyes became more obvious.
EDIT: I gave this product another chance as a chest/neck sunscreen this summer, but it's still no good. It didn't protect me from burning, and after a week or so the skin around my collarbones was so dry it started peeling off! I've also been doing some research on physical sunscreens and I'm pretty sure Shiseido use the nano-sized zinc, because it's barely whitening for the amount of zinc they use, which means that it is much less effective as a UVA blocker.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2011 8:16:00 AM More reviews by aidyruth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ok, so i love love love this sunscreen. It's amazing, so smooth, so easy to apply. I use it after my moisturiser and before my makeup, and it helps my foundation sit nicely (bare escentuals)- haven't tried this under any liquid foundations as I only just dug this out of my makeup drawer again recently. It is slightly oily, but after I cleanse/tone/moisturize and then apply sunscreen i just let it absorb while i brush my teeth/have breakfast & it seems to sink in well.
this doesn't break me out at all, which makes it definitely HG status for me!!
The bottle sucks though, the top gets the lotion everyyyyywhere around the outside... seems really wasteful. But i will buy again, one bottle has lasted me a long time though!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2011 11:29:00 PM More reviews by w04hh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I don't understand why the rating for this sunscreen is lower than the "Extra Smooth Sun Protection Lotion". The sunscreen ingredients in this version is all physical and are not carcinogenic like the other version. There is a slight white cast on the skin when this sunscreen is applied, but it is so slight that it's totally acceptable. I've never gotten a sunburn when I use this sunscreen. It is very water resistant and it stays on for extended amount of time. It is not greasy and it sits well under makeup. However, I have to use a cleansing oil or a really good cleanser to wash this off at night because it is so water resistant. This is definitely HG material.