October 25, 2014 | 1254 users online

Fragrances - Jacomo Silences

rated 1 of 5 on 10/3/2013 9:18:00 PM More reviews by confuzzled

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

First off, I love No. 19. While Silences starts out like 19, it quickly fades to a sickly sweet non-descript drydown (at least on me) that was really annoying. I don't do sweet or flowery, so this isn't for me.

I got a great deal on a brand-new tester and know it's not going to get used again. If any of you are interested, please email me, and maybe we can arrange a swap or a sale.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2013 10:20:00 AM More reviews by BigEars

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Beautiful green with the same icy galbanum blast you get in Chanel 19. If however, you prefer Chanel edp you will miss the rose and the staying power of 19. Mind you Silences is a whole lot cheaper and you can respray often. I would buy again. I don't know if it is the price but somehow it seems 'friendlier' than 19.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/21/2012 12:11:00 AM More reviews by Lilosette

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

MMMMMMMMM? I wonder Silences by Jacomo
stole the notes from Chanel no 19 because
they smell like an dead ringer to me,
The same Greenish musky Cypre scent and
the note of Galbanum on the top notes.
It cost a fraction to the more Elegant
Chanel no 19. The scent is nothing to write home about i'm not a fan of green
notes they always make me nauseous if you
put too much on to me it's just a Common
run of the mill rip off of Chanel no 19.

But the only thing i like about this
is the flacon the unique and cute Half
circle of a bottle that's the only winner.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/2/2012 4:53:00 PM More reviews by SwedishGirl26

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

The original formulation of "Jacomo Silences" is actually discontinued. Keep in mind that Silences was launced 1978 - that was 34 years ago - so through the years there have been several different formulations on what's actually inside this beautiful black bottle. Perfume-collectors & passionate perfume-lovers know this, so it may come as an suprise for anyone going to the store purchasing a bottle of what looks like it always has - and find - that what's inside isn't the same.

There will always be changes in forumula aka. juice of a perfume + bottle-design etc. regarding restrictions & many reasons - only the perfume-house making the perfume knows. For example: just look at the new Silences "version" named: "Jacomo Silences Eau de Parfum Sublime". Or if you get the chance: try "Silences" from 1970's - via 1980's, 1990's, the decade of 2000 -allthe way to TODAY - and you will discover different variations in the juice. (And you can always search via google - simply & type in "jacomo silences discontinued" etc - & you will find several posts regarding this.)

Something that most of us know is: Perfume-houses often change the formulation/ingredients of a perfume - so even if the bottle looks the same - the juice inside can often differ a lot through the years. Especially if it's a perfume created 1970's or earlier or even 80's & 90's - you will get different formulas through the years.

5 lippies to the vintage formulations.
3 lippies to the new formulations.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2012 9:33:00 PM More reviews by highrise

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I adore Silences. It is absolutely Green, makes me sit up straight yet daydream at the same time. 'Strict, neat and clean' are part of the Green category to me, but Silences contains sky-high imagination as well.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2012 9:12:00 PM More reviews by perfumefanatic

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Reminds me a lot of Chanel #19, a great lower cost alternative. Try if you like Chanel #19.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2010 6:39:00 PM More reviews by ginamused

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Silences begins with a sharp green blast that might put me off if it lasted more than five minutes. It quickly settles down to a lovely, calm floral that never raises it voice and would be quite appropriate for a job interview or lunch with your mother-in-law. It's not the kind of beast that I adore, but as a nurse, I can't wear many of the frags I love on a daily basis, and need scents that won't offend others. This is a perfect fit.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2009 12:30:00 PM More reviews by sherrie09

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Silences starts off with a blast, but it dries down soft, clean, powdery and slightly resinous, with that somewhat spicy vegetal odor of a broken green stem. I don't often reach for it because although I find it pleasant, to me it cries out for that intensely white floral component that I most enjoy against a backdrop of greenery (I'm a florals lover). Price-wise it's a steal, and it's worth investigating if you enjoy very green fragrances. The composition is more classic than modern, so bear that in mind if you find powdery classics unwearable today. To me it's gender neutral and a bit bland, but sometimes bland can be a good thing, depending on the circumstances. It might layer well with patchouli or other accords. The day is too short, however, to wear a fragrance that fails to knock yer socks off. 3:5 lippies.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2009 10:01:00 PM More reviews by moorkitty

I purchased this as I had loved it in the late 70's and I wanted a less costly alternative to Chanel #19. Like some others here, the boisdejasmine review lured me in. The galbanium is quite sharp and bitter, and I detect a tinge of musk/sweat that I do not recall in the earlier version. Also, I remember more of the Bulgarian rose in the original version. However, the price was right and I love the way the bottle looks on my vanity with it's elegant gold script, and I don't mind wearing this on days when I am home as it is really quite lovely for the price, although it is certainly no Chanel #19.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2008 8:54:00 PM More reviews by Zibeline

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Black

My answer to Bandit. Silences has a great animalic quality but lacks the horse hide and leather thang Bandit does on my skin.

Sexy and green, Silences is an under appreciated chypre triumph