August 27, 2014 | 1753 users online

Powders - Paula's Choice - Sheer Perfection Pressed Powder

rated 3 of 5 on 5/17/2009 2:31:00 PM More reviews by spykitty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

this product is being discontinued and the last available powder is on paula's website. i think it's in "sheer 4." i have the powder in "sheer 1" which i like pretty well. it lasts forever and is EXTREMELY sheer. i mean, you won't be covering up any imperfections, but it's a staple in my bag for nights out on the town to get rid of shine. the texture is also great and a billion steps up in naturalness compared to the old covergirl pressed powders i used in highschool. however, that being said it's still extremely sheer. to actually get that horrible dry chalky look, you have to put on TONS of it. this is not a negative thing at all, by the way! (;

i hate hate HATE the packaging. it unlocks constantly in my bag. i also apply my powder with a sponge that i purchased at my local CVS pharmacy (their "essentials" line or whatever.) anyhow, i find that this powder goes on very well and extremely smoothly with a sponge.

that said, a basically mediocre pressed powder. definitely not an HG powder, and i'm glad i only paid $6 for it instead of the regular $12. for $6 it isn't a bad buy at all, for double that it's basically a huge ripoff.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2008 10:56:00 AM More reviews by AprilH

This is one of the few cosmetic products from Paula that I have repurchased multiple times. When applied with a sponge (which Paula does not provide), this can be used as a very light coverage powder foundation. Note that I said very light coverage. You would not want to use this as a foundation if you have anything major you want to conceal. The texture is soft and silky, and for me this powder is above average for oil control. As for colors, it's possible that the lightest shade will be too dark for PPPs, as I am an NC20 and can wear either Sheer 1 or Sheer 2. I've settled on Sheer 1 as I think it's a bit more natural on me, but these shades are sheer enough that most people can probably pull off more than one shade, including a shade that isn't a perfect match. Packaging is terrible, but I have come to grudgingly accept that about Paula's products. The top of my compact often breaks so that it no longer snaps shut. And as with other PC products, the Paula's Choice lettering fades over time and looks terrible.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2008 3:52:00 PM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been happily using MAC Blot Powder for years, but lately I've been wanting a pressed powder with a bit more coverage since I no longer wear full-face foundation. This powder does provide a bit more coverage than MAC Blot without making my face look like it was covered with powder, and it's significantly cheaper. Unfortunately, unlike other reviewers, I didn't find this to have any oil control. I was so shiny that the coverage was meaningless. For now, I will have to stick with my pricey MAC Blot.
Ingredients: Talc, Zinc Stearate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldodecyl Lactate, Dimethicone, Isotridecyl Isononanoate, Zeolite, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Dehydroacetic Acid. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Bismuth Oxychloride, Ultramarines, Manganese Violet, Carmine, Blue #1. continued >>

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2008 3:49:00 AM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

A pressed powder that's average at best.

PROS:

(1)Minimal formula, no irritation (on this quite irritable skin), no breakouts, and at a good price (in North America).

(2) Very lightweight - good for just setting makeup.

(3) Zero shine, no glowing and sparkling and the like. Feels like it would be great for oilier skin and/or in a hot humid climate.

CONS: The other side to all of the above, except the first item.

Major cons: (1) I found it drying. My skin was left dulled, ashy, with some flaking.

(2) The palest shade available, SHEER 1, is not pale enough and too beige/touch of light coffee-brown (for reference I'm PPP-issima, delicate shade of pale blue, MAC NW15 at most). Not enough shades available - light or dark. Also, the shades available tend towards the yellow in tone - this beige-tinged one looked like the least yellow. Insufficient variation across the shades to take account of more peach, pink, violet, etc. in human carnations.

(3) Nice solid compact, but weak catch. No puff provided, which is not a big deal as most puffs are rubbish (and I'm using a brush anyway), but not enough room to put in a puff should you wish to carry this around with you for touch-ups.

Not happy with this (and I'm not even going to mention the packaging aesthesics). But feeling the love for PC's skincare products.

It's certainly a good deal in North America - USD 12.95 - for a basic pressed powder that's very non-irritating. But companies like Almay and Maybelline make others that are as good or better and cheaper, and higher-end there's always Clinique, Prescriptives, and the like. Here in Ireland, it's too expensive for what it is - EUR 13.30 plus the crazy shipping (EUR 6.50 for some European countries, up to 16.50 to places like Ireland) - and there are several other pressed powders more readily available in shops here that are as good in formula, and way better in colour and price (Boots, Marks & Spencer, Barbara Daly for Tesco, Bourjois if you're OK with the scent).

INGREDIENTS: Talc, Zinc Stearate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldodecyl Lactate, Dimethicone, Isotridecyl Isononanoate, Zeolite, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Dehydroacetic Acid, Mica (CI 77019), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)
May contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxide (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Carmine (CI 75470), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Ultramarines (CI 77007) continued >>

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2007 8:29:00 PM More reviews by FairyCelt

Since I have oily skin, I really have to use powder to not only set my concealer (also Paula's Choice) but also to blot out the oil that always comes through by the middle of the day. I was hesitant to get this because the lightest shade (sheer 1) looked a little too dark for me (just so you know, I'm PPP who used Nars loose powder in Snow...until it made me break out). Luckily, Paula's Choice offers samples of it's cosmetics! After I got my sample, I used a powder brush to sweep this on. When they say "sheer" they mean "sheer"! This gave just enough color to even out my skin a little, but not so much that I looked like I had stuck my face in a flour bag. This also keeps oil at bay for HOURS (even during the warm, humid weather Central Texas has been experiencing lately). For those of you who want medium to full coverage in a powder, this isn't for you. However, if you just want a hint of color and big time oil control, look no further! BTW, Sheer 1 was the perfect shade for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2006 7:29:00 PM More reviews by sweetcaroline

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this while making a purchase on Paula's website. Based on the reviews of her other pressed powder, which I believe is going to be D/C, I thought I'd try this new item. I chose shade #3, which is quite olive/yellow and nicely sheer as it states. It instantly mattifies my t-zone without making my skin look chalky. For reference, I normally wear MAC NC35-40, GA 5.5. When I combine with with a mattifying foundation, I don't have to blot during the day. Stays fresh and color true. Would definately repurchase. Retails $12.95 I believe. Doesn't come with a powder puff however.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No