Hempz Herbal Lip Balm

3.9

on 2/8/2015 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I really wanted to like this because I'm a fan of the lotions, but it just doesn't do the job. I always have extremely dry, cracked lips year round and this product doesn't help them. It seems to even dry my lips out a bit more. It's a thinner formula so I don't feel it would offer protection as a barrier. It doesn't say on the tube spf 15 but if it has it, that's a positive thing. I will use up the tube just because I don't like wasting products. I will probably give away my second tube. I do like the scent.

on 12/29/2014 8:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Just to be clear, I have not tried this product yet (I plan to, though).
I came here to read reviews and I noticed a common theme among them; people are complaining about the alcohol and parabens in this product.

First of all, the second ingredient is CETYL alcohol - a fatty alcohol, aka not a "bad" alcohol. Fatty alcohols act as occlusives and help moisturize skin. "Bad" alcohols (like Denatured or Isopropyl alcohol) are the drying and damaging ones.

Second, there is no solid proof that parabens are damaging or carcinogenic. The research behind it is very minimal and as of now, the good outweighs the potential "bad" (which, there isn't any as far as we know). It is only a preservative, it's not going to give you cancer.

So before you give something a bad review, make sure to do your research! The ingredients in this balm look perfectly fine, if not above average. I will definitely try it soon and update this review when I do.

on 12/14/2014 7:08:00 PM

I got this as a gift and thought it was all natural. I read the ingredients and among alcohol and dimethicone one are many parabens . I actually considered just tossing it but I hate to waste and it does feel good on my lips. Smells and tastes nice to. It's a pity it is far from natural.

on 3/12/2014 9:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I am obsessed with this stuff. A tube came in a gift set along with lotions and boy am I glad it did or I would have never discovered it! I love the way it smells! I also love how it feels on my lips- not sticky at all.

on 2/15/2014 12:55:00 AM

I like to try all brands of lip balm and when I saw the price of this I thought it would be really good. However I'm not into this at all. When you first put it on it feels really nice not too thick and it feels really smooth. After it's on my lips for like 15 mins and I rub my lips together they feel really rough. Also this lasts on your lips for maybe 45 mins. It's like it just evaporates because my lips don't feel hydrated after it wears off. The second ingredient in this stuff is alcohol soooo I don't feel like that's good for your lips. I'm kinda annoyed because I paid almost 9 dollars for a lip balm that doesn't moisturize. I'll stick with my Nivea milk and honey lip balm that's almost a third of the price and actually hydrates.

on 10/2/2013 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I got this after hearing & reading how great this is. I do like it, for the most part. I'm not really a fan of the scent, it reminds me of Lemon Pledge, & it does have a bit of of lemony taste (very faint). It does feel nice on my lips, it's not waxy or greasy.
I like Dr. Lipps better, but that costs me $14.50 a tube, & I can get this for $4.50 a tube (professional beauty supply for licensed cosmetologists), so I'd get this again.

on 10/13/2012 6:23:00 PM

Hair: Other, Curly, Fine

I am on my 2nd tube and yet haven't experienced change of heart. This is probably the only lip moisturizer that doesn't dry my lips after it sets. Most moisturizers contain Vitamin E, which many of you might not know, can actually dry and irritate sensitive skin. This product doesn't have it and my lips love it. Pleasant smell, not sticky, plenty of product in a tube, so it lasts a long while. Will continue using.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Now this is a lip balm. Works great at moisturizing your lips,and it actually works like it says it does. Smells great and even tastes good. Even my Mom is a big fan and she is pretty discriminating on lip products. Do not hesitate to try this! Awesome product.

on 1/10/2012 10:34:00 PM

I bought this in ULTA, pretty good lip balm since I have had some really bad ones befo(bath and body works). This does moisturize lips, and I like the smell of this.This is good for daily uses because the applicator is great.
I might buy this again, I think this works great in winter. I like Khiel's lipbalm as well.

on 10/18/2011 11:00:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

I am a chapstick addict and I have about 6 in rotation weekly...but when this came along I've thrown the rest away! This is the perfect product. It's not too greasy where it smears pass my lips but moisturizing enough to combat my extreme chapped lips. A little goes a long way and it's in an easy squeeze tube. At first I was appaled at the price but then again I use the MAC lip conditioner and its more expensive and is complete crap. I've also used the Jack Black lip treatment and is garbage compared to this. I have yet to find anything to surpass this!

Popular Lip Treatments