July 26, 2014 | 1003 users online

Sunscreen - Dermalogica - Oil-free Matte Block Spf 20

rated 2 of 5 on 6/14/2014 10:56:00 PM More reviews by Sara23

I had really high hopes for this product as Dermalogica normally works well for me. But I found when using this in summer it made my skin break out and look really oily with horrible pores. Oh, and it made my skin look paler. Pale, greasy and spotty. Great. I found when this was in my cupboard I was avoiding wearing sunscreen, which is really bad given live in Perth where its a hundred degrees and no ozone layer half the year. I've since found out I'm much better off using a moisturiser with SPF. I gave it two lippies instead of one just because I do have really temperamental skin and I didn't find anything like a foul smell or consistency that meant it wouldn't be great for someone with better skin than me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2013 2:32:00 PM More reviews by Tindra78

On the hunt of a mattifying daily sunscreen I received a few samples of this, through a purchase. I have extremely acne prone skin, yet melasma. So I need daily sunscreen.

(This is the new, thicker, reformulated version, Oil-free Matte spf 30, broad spectrum).

This goes on matte, but dries a little shiny ( sounds strange, but yes). The consistency is like a thicker cream. It's a little hard to spread, cause of that, you need to work it in fast and really don't miss any areas. Fluids are easier to work with in that way.

Cause this is all chemical sunscreen, it really looks translucent and disappears when it has been applied. So you can't see you even wear any sunscreen. That's new to me, cause I usually buy physical sunscreens. But this doesn't enlarge pores or enhance lines....

I have to say that it doesn't contain many silicones either, so I guess that's why it doesn't "refine" the skin either. But! It doesn't make it look worse at all, like most physical sunscreens do!

I like that it is spf 30.

My only complaint would be that it is such a thick cream and that it isn't directly mattifying.

I'm not sure if it would break me out, cause I only received samples. But I think the ingredient list looks quite ok....

rated 1 of 5 on 6/21/2013 10:53:00 AM More reviews by Anna888

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I had been using the Oil-free Matte Block spf30 which I presume is basically the same as this one but with a higher spf. At first I really liked it and it suited my skin really well, however after using it daily for about three weeks I noticed I was getting a few tiny red lumps/spots under the skin on my forehead. I've always had problems with sunscreens, either giving me spots or just feeling very thick and/or greasy on the skin, but out of all the ones I've tried this is probably one of the best, as it feels light, not greasy and doesn't ruin your make-up. Saying that though, when the bottle runs out I'm not sure if I would buy another one and I will not be using daily now, only when the suns, out which in England isn't often!

As for the price, for a sunscreen I do think this is a little expensive and as for the packaging I think if it was in a tube it would be far more userfriendly.

EDIT - ok so it's taken me about a month to get rid of the little red lumps/spots this lotion had caused and whilst I didn't have loads, I'm now very reluctant to use again, even if just for one the sun is shining in London! I've you do have problems with sun lotions I would advise trying a few samples before buying - I've dropped my score to an overall rating of 1, shame, I had high hopes for Dermlogica

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2013 8:04:00 PM More reviews by Hermanspottypants

I found I had to use another moisturiser and then apply this over the top, otherwise my skin became dehydrated. This annoyed me as I really want to cut down on the number of steps in my facial routine.

PROS
no crying ( ie my sensitive eyes were not irritated)
did not make my oily T zone worse
the bottle will last me at least 10 irish summers (50ml- 5ml per summer) ie great value in Ireland at least
did not smell like the green tea which is one of its ingredients
got along ok with my foundation- nars sheer matte
CONS
sponge bob square pants would have been better at absorbing my facial oil than the'' microsponge technology'' in this product
did not control my oil production at all

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2012 11:50:00 PM More reviews by luisajames

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

i'm writing this on behalf of my boyfriend because he loves this sunscreen and it's the only one i've seen him actually enjoy to wear and reapply! i know! i know he likes how quickly it sinks in and how thin it lays on the skin. it doesn't look like you have anything on and provides protection. i know this product has changed a bit and has been reformulated to an spf 30 and he says he still likes the texture and feel of the sunscreen. initially it feels thicker but he claims it wears the same. it's very expensive though for the amount you get and for how often you should be wearing sunscreen and reapplying sunscreen. great product just overpriced.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2012 11:14:00 AM More reviews by janneh

Okay, yes it is expensive initially. HOWEVER... this product lasts for the longest time. I think it is $32 in a small container. How long did it last with once-daily wear? Roughly 6 months. Lately, I am so prone to black-heads and hormone-related acne. Even when used in combination with a bunch of acne-fighting products (at first, Dermalogica Anti-Bac line... now, Proactiv), it still manages great daily protection from the sun, great moisture without making me oily, and the tint is enough to help cover some of my post-acne scarring. Allow me to clarify, this is not a concealer, but it helps with evening my skin tone with my makeup. Furthermore, this is not an oil-control product, however it does not worsen my shiny face as most moisturizers tend to do. None of my Proactiv stuff compares to this product, and they are much more expensive. I hope this poorly written review helps you in making your decision to give this product a try or not.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2011 6:21:00 PM More reviews by machochick

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

PROS:
I have oily skin and my aesthetician recommended me this. I was happy about it. Sunscreen and moisturizer in one? Not bad.

I apply this every morning after washing my face. And then wait a few minutes before applying make up. It has a matte finish but tendency to get oily during the day - it's just b/c of my skin type. I have to blot like once or twice.

CONS:
I know some sunscreens do give that white cast on your face...this is one of them.

I also noticed that I get a lot of acne bumps (oil that doesn't come out) when i started to use this. So I might switched to the one for sensitive skin which has the Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide ingredients in it.

I have problematic skin, and reacts easily to anything....so it depends on your skin type too. It's not a bad thing to try this and then switch to another if it doesn't work. I recommend this for you to try, but I will not repurchase - like I've said, b/c of my skin type - we have different types. it might or might not work.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2011 9:06:00 AM More reviews by juicedluce

I am very pale and sunburn prone in a very hot and sunny South Africa. This product works like a treat. I never thought I'd ever find a sunblock that wouldn't make me look greasy or cause breakouts but I found this one. Goes on smoothly, gives a whitish tinge but that disappears and is absorbed quickly, it also works well under makeup. The only problems I have are it dries my cheeks out a little, but this is rectified by using Dermalogica's hydrating skin masque twice a week, and it seems very expensive for such a tiny bottle (but I was assured it can last up to 8 months). All in all if you want to preserve your skin and prevent wrinkles this is a must.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2010 4:20:00 PM More reviews by kozley

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have very oily skin and I live in an area with lots of sunshine, so having sun protection in a light moisturizer without additional oil on my skin is really crucial. This product accomplishes just that for me! I can be out in the sun for hours without a hint of sunburn. I also did not experience any greasiness or breakouts. Does it mattify? No, but I don't believe any product does that. Bottomline: it works for me and I will buy again.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/21/2010 3:56:00 PM More reviews by clarefp

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

my beautician recommended this to use as my daily moisturiser as it has SPF as well.

I'm not sure about the SPF qualities as i don't live in a particularly sunny climate, but as a moisturiser its just ok - my skin is still sometimes very dry even after applying - and it can leave a white residue if you don't completely rub in it.

i won't be rebuying as i don't think it's worth the price