Yves Saint Laurent Matte and Radiant Pressed Powder

4.6

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

When I compare this to my high-end setting powders, I am pretty blown away by how this lives up to the hype. I have a hard time justifying the cost but for a splurge item I will only use on special occasions, I don't mind buying it once or twice a year. One of the two YSL compacts I have bought have broken on me with minimal traveling, not awesome at all for this packaging not to be more sturdy on these prestige brands.

My daily setting powder is MAC Studio Fix which really never lets me down when I use a light hand, but it does get cakey and settle into my pores if I go overboard. YSL Radiant doesn't get cakey, no matter how many layers I add, but I keep my skin well moisturized and exfoliated. Ladies, if you have flakes and dry patches, please exfoliate weekly moisturize at night before bed, you won't suffer quite as badly.

I'd buy this again, but I will have to run out of my MAC and Chanel powder before I drop the coin. Overall it's worth it and it really does give an airbrushed look.

on 1/24/2015 4:25:00 PM

The most amazing pressed powder ..gives me an amazing glow... makes my skin radiant.... a lil pricey but totally worth it...the packaging is classy ... love it... xoxo

on 1/13/2015 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Setting powders are one of my least favorite makeup items to shop for, but back in the day I tried so many just to find a good one. I've been using this YSL powder since 2011, love it so much even though I go through it within 2 to 3 months. Guess that's not too bad, it's just so pricey. But it's still worth it in my opinion because I use color 2 Light Sand which matches my NC20/25 skin fairly good, works with any base I use (bb cream, foundation, etc), helps me stay matte for 6-7+ hours, and actually does give subtle radiance to skin. Unless you overapply, I never find it cakey for me. I don't use the puff that comes with it, I just use my powder brush to apply and don't carry it with me anywhere for touchups because my makeup lasts all day with just 1 blotting paper use. Loved this powder with the YSL Teint Resist (perfect matte and glowy look), but was really sad when they discontinued the Teint Resist. Hope they'll keep this YSL powder around for a long time!

on 11/25/2014 3:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I am one of those who keep on trying new products and thus find it hard to stick to a brand. As for face powders, I've tried PLENTY! Anyway, just want to say that this is one of the very few exceptions: I have been so loyal to this product simply because it is the closest thing to perfect for my face.
It is quite hard to find a powder that is both mattifying and offers a radiant finish at the same time, but this one truly does. I just love it! And I hate that I love it, cause as you know it is quite pricey.
I have old acne scars on my face (pitted kind) and so I stay away from luminous or radiant powders that call attention to the scarring. Luminous and radiant is great for those with perfect skin, but unfortunately mine isn't. So, for long I was sort of stuck with ultra mattifying products that make my skin look as flat as possible to conceal the pitted scars. What I like about YSL is that it does that alright, but it also lights up my face just the same.

Note that this is a finishing powder and not a foundation powder. But you can get away with just this powder over some spot concealing. If you require major coverage, you would need to wear a foundation to go with this powder.

I use it on its own or on top of liquid foundation, depending on the look I want to achieve. The powder is quite flexible. Will repurchase and repurchase, I think :)

on 10/5/2014 6:22:00 PM

I am not 100% sold on this product. It is very nice and beats the heck out of my drugstore products...except for one.

The packaging is beautiful but it does get finger prints all over it. It does, however feel rich matches the expensive price tag. It is very expensive. I have not used many high-end powders so I can't compare.

The product is finely milled and for me does a good job of oil control. I do not use mine for additional coverage.

It is not undetectable on me though. I feel like it still can look cakey and dry. My hands down favorite powder for the price is suprisingly CoverTox10 from Physicians Formula. It has the same fine mill feeling and never looks cakey. It's also less than $20, although hard to find.

**I went to use this the other day and the beautiful case broke at the hinges. In NO WAY shape or form should something made like this that costs this much fall apart at the packaging.

on 8/10/2014 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Wonder product. My old HG compact was Chanel's Poudre Universelle, which was a transparent powder as I don't look for coverage in powders, and I think I was in denial about the product for the last couple of months, I wanted to believe it was good because of the aesthetic of Chanel but I have really dry skin but get very slightly shiny around my nose and I still needed to top up every 25 minutes or so (ridiculous I know).
I bought Matte Radiance on a whim without even trying it in store (pressured by my mother to buy something), and was already wearing Le Teint Touche Eclat (magical product), but I was amazed at the performance of this powder. It looks gorgeous on and minimises my enlarged pores while blurring other imperfections. It doesn't make my dry skin feel ichy, doesn't settle in pores and kept me a gorgeous in-between matte and slightly dewy for 6+ hours.
The packaging is far superior to my old Chanel powder, Matte Radiance being a metallic case, and the pouch that comes with it has a separate compartment with a powder puff (the softest thing I have ever felt by the way).

The powder is so finely milled it is so comfortable and natural looking, the colour match is wonderful and it feels almost creamy to the touch. From first application became my HG powder, above Poudre Universelle (my 6 month love). Wonderful product, extremely happy with it. The price is excellent compared to other powders of the same luxuriousness and quality, and the packaging is gorgeous, although the metal case is a magnet for fingerprints, like literally as soon as you pull it out there are a hundred fingerprints, but it still is wonderful.

If you're looking for a new high-end compact, Matte Radiance is a great choice, it retails for £35 at House of Fraser in Belfast, and will become your new favourite, seriously!

Bought this when I was on a trip and got it at SGD50 plus without taxes iirc. Noted that the powder is extremely smooth and finely milled thus, I thought it would be a good powder for touch ups.

First try: I applied my usual light weight liquid foundation and topped it off with my YSL compact foundation for added coverage. At noon, I blotted my face and touched up using this powder, I was disappointed with the outcome. I had some part of my face splotchy and bits here and there not being covered.

Second try: I applied only my compact foundation and touched up with this, the outcome was ok however, it lacked the coverage I was looking for.

Bottomline, this powder is only good for people without dry patches on the skin as it will accentuate all dry patches. In other words, it is for people with very good skin which doesn't require coverage.

on 5/28/2013 9:16:00 AM

I always set my foundation with loose powder, but this is simply not practical for touch ups. I live in Japan and compact powders that are affordable in the US (ahem, Revlon, Loreal, Mac) are actually nearly as expensive as the luxury brands. So, I decided to splurge for the YSL and bought it from an online discount vendor. I love it because it looks invisible on my skin while taking away the shine. The result is flawless looking skin. It's humid in Osaka so I get a good shine-free 3 to 5 hours depending on the weather during warmer months. Some don't like the packaging but I LOVE it. It's so luxurious and makes me smile every time I pull it out of my makeup bag. It's also practical because nothing will ruin your powder faster than a bacteria laden sponge, so I much prefer to protect my investment by storing it in the pocket of its velvet case. The biggest downfall is the price. There are definitely quality powders out there for less money, but if you have the extra cash, YSL Matt and Radiant pressed powder is a worthy way to spend it.

on 4/23/2013 9:13:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This looks very nice over my Teint Eclat foundation from YSL. When I add this on top my skin looks super-smooth, and, weird enough: matte and radiant X) It definitely does what it says on me! It's not chalky at all, VERY finely milled, doesn't cling to my peach fuzz at all and doesn't accentual my dry patches. It works with every single foundation I own!
This is a light powder you won't manage to cover much with. You can get light-sheer coverage from it. It feels very comfortable on my face - my skin never feels tight or hot under it. I'm about an NC15 and think I can use nr 2 when I'm NC15-20, although the powder looks very light in the compact. Nr 2 is definitely a yellow toned powder.
One minus though... the powder I have smells bad... It has some kind of bitter herbal smell that I can smell on my face for a good 2.5 hours! I have actually been wondering if people sitting beside me on the buss to uni can smell it or not...
Anyway: this just looks so perfect over my foundation that I can't get myself to give it any less than 5 lippies. It holds up well on my skin, unless I touch it a lot during the day, which is a bad bad habit and something I always try to avoid. I have dry skin, so I don't usually look greasy during the day with most powders (except Kanebo Finishing powder - I have no clue how it "melts" on my face), so I can't really say much about the oil control of this, but it seems to have some.

on 4/10/2013 2:52:00 PM

Very much a splurge on my end, but it's a nice product. When Rimmel Stay Matte pressed powder was starting to get a tad too cakey, I remembered I had this. I don't know why I dismissed this product when I first bought it, but now I love it. Like the name suggests, it is the perfect balance between mattifying yet still giving radiance to your skin. It is not chalky or cakey whatsoever. I do get dry skin so this powder is lovely, but if you have particularly oily skin, you may be disappointed because this is not the best for oil control.