October 30, 2014 | 1351 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2014 7:15:00 AM More reviews by larosedechanel

I use beautyblenders every time I apply foundation makeup. I have three—two pink, one black. (I have dark skin, so a black because I use darker-toned products!) I don't know how I ever applied makeup without one of these before & it is a staple tool. I have oily, acne-prone skin & almost always wear thick, full coverage, matte foundations. As you can imagine, applying them with a brush or with my fingers can be a nightmare. With a beautyblender, the heave makeup I have to wear is blended so much smoother & nicer; I'd have streaks otherwise.

I soak the wide end with MAC Fix+ & let that sink in before I use it. It can be used wet or dry, but I personally don't let it swell up or put it under running water because like I mentioned, I wear thick, matte foundations. I use the wide end to make up my forehead, cheeks, & chin; I use the narrow end to make up around my eyebrow piercing, around my eyebrows, around my eyes, & around my mouth.

My only complaint is its not lasting long. I read it should last 3 months with proper cleaning, which I do, but I find that they get kind of beat up & raggedy sooner than they should. I took good care of mine & washed them regularly. I'm thinking it might just be my using them SO much & all 360 degrees of the sponge. Anyway, this makeup sponge is a necessity if you wear self-tanners or foundation makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2014 6:42:00 AM More reviews by sahbear95

Seems like a lot of money to be spending on a glorified sponge, and trust me I was skeptical, however, once you immerse this little genius in some warm water, it enlarges and achieves its full potential. Once completely squeezed of water, this sponge allows for the perfect application of any liquid product and results in a flawless finish and is easily able to be built up to the desired level of coverage. Cannot recommend this little thing enough, have gotten so many compliments from friends on my foundation and once they use it, they have also fallen in love.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2014 2:02:00 AM More reviews by MeganDan

I know, $30.00 Canadian for this sponge at Sephora? Why not pick up a dupe for $10.00? The reason I will always choose the $30 sponge over the $10 is because nothing comes close to comparing. I've picked up multiple "beauty blender" sponges, and yes they all do the "same thing" but there's something about the way this sponge feels and applies. Sheer to full coverage depending on how wet you make your sponge, feels so soft and supple. I've read reviews on people feeling like this is a waste of product because the sponge absorbs it ( well duh it's a sponge, they absorb ) but I don't find its wasting a TON of product like people have claimed, defiantly takes more but not enough to be "wasteful". Throwing out all my buffing/stippling brushes for this tiny little sponge is all I need!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2014 10:01:00 AM More reviews by youwillneverfindme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

What an amazing little tool! If you've been putting it off forever (like I did), thinking that it's too expensive ($20), it's just a sponge, "I can get by without it"…I understand, I felt the same way. But do yourself the favor and just buy the little thing. It's also a cruelty free/vegan product and contains no latex. I've some mild searching for a dupe, but I ended up with the BB as my first makeup sponge: I figured I'd start with the best and go from there since it seems there are many other *good* sponges, but none that quite compare to the BB. Also, if you're worried about the dyes or chemicals in the pink, black or purple BB's, they now make a white one (I think they call it "pure").

-Application/blending of any cream or thick liquid product for a seamlessly blended, beautiful application. I use it dry for a heavier application, or wet for more sheer.
-Pushing a product that is too powdery into your skin.
-Concealing. I use the pointed tip to gently pat on my foundation more thickly, and then delicately blend it out for a blemish. This also works for the darker inner corners of my eyes. I don't need heavy concealing, so the BB + a heavier application of foundation in my trouble areas does the trick like a brush or my fingers never could.

Absolutely will re-buy and highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2014 4:47:00 PM More reviews by vannii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am completely in love with this sponge. The finish it gives me is absolutely amazing. It leaves my foundation looking natural and not at all cakey. It blends my concealer, highlighter and foundation beautifully! Cannot live without this product and I have no clue as to what I was doing before this little sponge came in to my life. It's really easy and quick to use! However... it is REALLY expensive! I got two in the packade I bought but It was way to expensive. Fortunately I won't need to buy it again any time soon.

On a different note... I was in a hurry one morning and left the sponge directly on top of a white shelf in my bathroom, when I came home that night I found that it had left a pink mark where it had lain on my shelf. I cannot remove that pink stain no matter what I use on it, it makes me wonder what kind of chemicals are really in this little sponge...?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2014 11:57:00 AM More reviews by beautyjunkie2012

Curiousity got the best of me. I waste $20 buying junk at Target so I figured why not test drive this lil gem. Not a fan of foundation brushes or sponges in general as I always use my fingers to apply so this surprised me when I saw the finished outcome. Airburshed finish! Looked like my skin but better as it looked so even. I have several foundation formulas in my stash so I will have to try it with all of them to fully determine if I have a new HG beauty tool. But so far I'm loving what I see.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2014 7:58:00 PM More reviews by missmajestic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is pretty much the only thing I ever use to put on my foundation. I hate brushes because I have combo skin and they tend to give me microdermabrasion on my cheeks, or, I can see brush lines no matter what brush I use. Wayne Goss says that there are a lot of good dupes for a cheaper price, but I disagree. The knockoffs do not work as well. At least not the ones in the U.S. This sponge gives me perfect, uniform application, every time. My pores can get enlarged at times, and I find that this sponge helps me lay down a perfect foundation without making my pores look even bigger. I use this every single day. I clean it with the solid and I have no problems with tearing, and I wash it regularly and quite vigorously. I will definitely buy another if I ever wear this one out.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2014 11:05:00 AM More reviews by danicayingna

great makeup sponge! helps my foundation and tinted moisturizer to go on smoothly, a little expensive however but i wouldn't mind paying for this great sponge! a little tip for you guys wanting to wash it but dont want to purchase the sponge cleanser is to use your own facial foam! as you're alrdy used to the soap and it wont break you out. hope it helps :)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/13/2014 12:24:00 AM More reviews by Sdmarylou

After reading all the rave reviews, I was hopeful and really wanted to like this product but I was super disappointed with the results. I had heard many reviews complain about the dye coming off and thought this issue would have been resolved by now, but no. Even wet, the sponge soaks up so much product. So much foundation wasted. Hard to clean. Expensive. Patchy application. Not worth the money!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/7/2014 10:46:00 PM More reviews by dyssa0

It applies foundation beautifully, it's an amazing sponge and it has become part of my daily routine, BUT keep in mind this sponge can rip/tear easily (I had use this for 2 months, already has 2 rips) , so im not sure if it worth paying $20 for this, i will try the real techniques sponge next and see what i think, but right now i would not re purchase this.