beautyblender the sponge

4.4

on 8/4/2015 7:53:00 PM

HOLY GRAIL!!!!!! This product is my definition of holy grail. I will use this and rebuy the rest of my life. The blender makes putting on liquid foundation so easy and effortless and I look airbrushed. My makeup is perfectly blended, no streaks or patches. It helps hydrate more.

Yes, it's 20 dollars. But for something that lasts 3-4 months and is literally a life changer, it's worth it. Also, it's way more hygienic than a brush, bc you can easily wash it after every use in under 60 seconds. And you don't have to wait the 2 days for it to dry like you would a brush. Also, for the whole mold myth... The ONLY way it will get mold is if you never wash it or you wash it and store it in a plastic bag or container. If you're blender gets mold than it's something YOURE doing wrong bc if it's washed after every use and put out in the open to dry then it wouldn't ever get mold. That's what the stand is for that it comes with. Put it on the stand when it's drying.

If this product doesn't change your life... You're using it wrong

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

At first I was hesitant to buy the beauty blender! I had heard so many great reviews on the product but I couldn't help but feel the price tag was a little steep for what seemed to be an average makeup sponge. I had tried the Sonia Kashuk version of this product first and it remained in my beauty drawer unused. Finally, I bit the bullet and bought the real deal and let me tell you, it is by far the best decision I've made when it comes to makeup. I now own several! This sponge is unlike any other in its' texture. It can be used dry or damp, although I prefer to use mine dampened. This sponge blends makeup like no other, even my heaviest and notoriously cakey foundations like the Revlon Colorstay or my Tart Amazonian Clay Foundation blend out like a dream for a natural finish. I use this product to apply all foundations and concealers, I've also heard it works great with cream blushes as well. This sponge is incredibly unique and makes all of my face products perform to the best of their ability. If you are looking for flawless airbrushed skin look no further!

THIS PRODUCT IS LIKE MY FRICKIN CHILD!

I had been using the Real Techniques sponge for a while and had thought about getting a BeautyBlender for a really really long time but they're quite hard to pick up in the UK.

I brought mine in Space NK for around 20 and it came with the little solid cleanser. Firstly, I do think 20 is a tad steep, even though I'm head over heels in love with this sponge I still think it's a bit pricey.

I cannot even explain to you how incredible this is! I push so many foundations aside because I don't like the finish and this make me fall in love with every foundation/concealer I purchase!

Perfect perfect perfect for foundation and concealer alike. I use this by damping it and bouncing it (lightly) around my face and it just effortlessly blends everything together.

I would recommend this product to everyone, literally everyone from my grandma to my little sister - the only thing I would say is that, due to the price, if you've never used a make up sponge before and not sure if you would use one much, check out cheaper alternatives such as the Real Techniques miracle sponge beforehand!

on 7/22/2015 7:25:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Okay, so I have tried a bunch of different brushes and sponges and none of them have been as good as the beauty blender. I tried a couple of knock-offs, and while they were good, they couldn't really compete with the beautyblender.

It is quite expensive seeing as all you're getting is a little pink sponge, but in my opinion it is definitely worth it.

I put the foundation on the back of my hand and dab the damp sponge in it and then dab it on my face. Works wonderfully, looks flawless and perfect.

I clean the sponge after every use. I couldn't find the beauty blender sponge cleaning product in the Sephora I bought my sponge in, so I am using dishwashing soap and olive oil to get all of the foundation out of it. It works and it's cheaper, so as long as you're careful to get all of the soap and oil rinsed out of the sponge, it shouldn't be a problem.

on 7/20/2015 9:04:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love this sponge so much. Can not live without it anymore. I always use it pretty damp. I put dots of foundation on my face all over it, then smooth it with BB. I think it's not a good idea to put foundation straight on the sponge.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I've tried a few sponges, the real techniques, some crappy ebay beautyblender knockoffs, and the original beautyblender. I have to say, the beautyblender definitely outperformed all of them. However, this sponge cost me $30 aud, and that was the absolute cheapest I found it on a certified website. After I started using this sponge, my skin started breaking out, maybe a month or so after I got, and I could not for the life of me figure out what was breaking my skin out. I switched my face wash, my moisturiser, my makeup, and still my skin was breaking out. Then a few weeks ago I came across a video on youtube where a girl was talking about how her beautyblender was actually growing mould and at first she thought it was just makeup staining it (this is what I also thought, because it's just tiny black dots), and ultimately she had to throw it out and was upset because of how much it cost and she didn't get much use out of it. This is why I am upset; I only bought this sponge 2-3 months ago, and only got maybe a months use out of it before it started growing mould. I washed it after every use and rang it out until there was no water left inside, and I let it air dry in an open space. I was very careful with my sponge, and put in a lot of effort to keep it clean, only to have it grow mould anyway despite doing everything right. I love the way this sponge works, but it's not worth paying $30 every two months for a new one, I could get 4 of the real techniques sponges of iherb for that much and that would last me a year!

on 7/13/2015 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I saw some negative reviews and I feel like I should offer some pointers.

I bought two black beautyblenders at The Makeup Show for 14.50 each and decided I would give them a go after my first experience with the pink sponge didn't deliver the results I wanted.

The thing is, pros DO use these sponges. I took a class with David Hernandez (pro MUA) who uses the black sponges, not the pinks, and I also saw Matthew van Leeuwen (from Monika Blunder's channel) demonstrate the use of these with MUFE cream blushes with the beautyblenders as well with pretty fabulous results.

What I do is to spray the sponge with Cinema Secret's Moisture Spray on the bottom flat part of the sponge, dab it with the foundation of choice, and stipple/bounce the base product on my face. Previously when I would hold the sponge under the faucet and squeeze the water out it would still be too wet for proper usage. Spraying glycerine/water with a bottle gives you more control towards the level of dampness that is appropriate for the beautyblender. I think MAC Fix + is a good product to use for this.

After using this method I have found no other application to have a more seamless and beautiful effect on the skin.

Do I still use brushes? Absolutely. I wouldn't use a thin formula of foundation such as MUFE Face & Body with the sponge because it would simply just absorb and render it more work than necessary (Fingers or paddle brushes are much more effective in those cases). But I certainly do recommend the sponge with heavier coverage products such as cream foundations. The specialty of a sponge is sheering out a product and should be treated as such.

on 7/10/2015 3:32:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the only make up tool use to apply foundation and concealer with! You absolutely have to use it damp it works better and leaves a flawless finish! The only reason I took off one lippie was because the sponge doesn't last as long as make up brushes. It is recommended to switch it out about every three months or so. I would repurchase and have been repurchasing this sponge for over a year now.

on 7/7/2015 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

no no no! I have very oily skin and acne scars (also active acne). Since I have been using the BB I noticed that my foundation after a couple of hours started to look cakey and like separated from my skin... also, after applying foundation it feels like it never dries competely...dont know how to explain...Although at the beggining the application looks flawless I feel my face sticky all the time and after a couple hours mainly in my nose and forehead the foundation starts slipping so I end up having some patches without any foundation and others with a lot....hot mess! I thought it was caused by the primer...until I appied my foundation with my expert face brush and I realized the cause of all my problems was the beauty blender.... So now Im only using it for applying concealer and to erase any possible brush stroke ...Over all I don't find this so marvelous as many do...I have use the real Techniques sponge and i like it better,,,I guess that the flat side helps foundation really sink in my skin...definitely the BB is not worth the money...won't buy it again...i prefer the finish my real techniques expert face brush leaves.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I've tried both the BeautyBlender and a couple of cheaper dupes. They all performed about the same for me. Not horrible by any means (they do work!), but they're a PITA to keep clean. The outcome never justified the extra hassle, especially since my fingers get the job done just as well or better.

On a certain level, I admire the ingenuity of the BB but my fingers are always conveniently attached to my body and are much easier to clean, IMO. I also feel like they're less wasteful of product.

I've tried the BB with a variety of foundations and never once felt like it achieved anything I couldn't do with my fingers. When I buy a new foundation that doesn't quite work, I sometimes experiment with different modes of application (fingers, brush, BB) to see if they change the outcome.

There has only been one instance where the mode of application resulted in a substantial improvement, but that was from using a buffing brush with the Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation (BTW, I quite liked it, but ended up returning it because it was a bit too heavy for my needs).

Maybe my makeup routine is just too simple for me to appreciate the BB. I don't do any contouring or anything superfancy, and while I dabbled in highlighting for awhile with the Hourglass ambient lighting palette, that's more of a brush thing (I do use brushes for anything powder-based).

Anyway, meh about this. Probably won't buy another, although time and again, I'm occasionally tempted to give it another go as it seems to work so well for other people. Do I recommend it? Not for me personally, but based on the number of positive reviews, it definitely works for a lot of people!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools