August 20, 2014 | 1875 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2014 11:01:00 AM More reviews by mitzigaynor15

I've had this sponge for about a year and I've used it many different ways in order to be able to write a comprehensive review on the product. I always begin with a clean sponge that has been soaked in clean water and wrung out but still damp. If I put liquid foundation on my hand and use the large end of the sponge to pick up product to apply to my face, it wastes foundation. It is also hard to clean all the excess foundation the sponge has soaked up. The best way to use the sponge for foundation application is to spread or dot the foundation around the face, then use the sponge to blend. I prefer using the larger side first, then I use the smaller end to blend around my nose, eyes, etc. Let the bounciness of the sponge help blend the foundation for you--don't rub too much with the sponge. The dampness of the sponge leaves your skin with a dewy finish. Another way I like to use this blender is to apply my liquid or cream foundation with my fingers, then use the damp sponge in a dotting motion to set it, leaving it with a dewy, fresh look. After use, I let the sponge dry until I get ready to use it the next time, then I wash it. The best cleanser for the sponge is liquid hand soap or diluted Dr. Bronner's castile soap. Make sure to rinse, rinse and rinse again as this baby sucks up a lot of soap.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/15/2014 4:56:00 AM More reviews by skygazer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm sorry, but this is FIRST time a MUA top pick disappointed me! I can't believe I paid top $$ for this sponge. I've used stipplied it slightly damp as described by many of the reviewers here, on powder foundation, liquid foundation and liquid concealer. There's so much product wastage, and the resulting coverage was so poor! Only concealer seems to apply OK (and not fantastic). I will NOT re-buy.

Returning to my Sigma F82 brush for foundation application..

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2014 12:30:00 PM More reviews by tiffloser

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Worth the money. I periodically buy/use other sponges and brushes, but I always end up coming back to this. It doesn't soak up all of your product and gives the smoothest finish. Will continue to buy.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2014 12:18:00 PM More reviews by RomanXI

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Okay...okay I caved about bought a £16 sponge. I thought it was just marketing and hype for YEARS I mean seriously...it's a sponge. But how wrong I was! It is a shame that everyone's idea of make up sponges are the £1 pieces of crap you can buy anywhere that soak in your foundation, make your skin blotchy and just do not work. This is a revolutionary product, as soon as I opened the package and felt it instantly I knew this is a superior product, it is very well made, very dense, does not feel cheap in the slightest. Very durable product too. As for foundation application, even, packs it into your skin densly so you can really can a flawless finish and can make it full coverage. It is well known but it will not work for water based foundation as they are too thin for sponges, anything liquid/creme/emollient is perfect though. 5/5

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2014 4:36:00 PM More reviews by Dromero03

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

My first foundation sponge was of course none other then those white wedge sponges that at one point everyone including makeup artist used to apply foundation. When I realized that Prescriptives was selling a foundation brush, that was the first time I had ever tried one. So I bought it and used for over 10 years. When kabuki brushes came out, I knew I had to try that so I rushed out and got one as well. I used that one for about a year, but still was never satisfied with how my makeup ever looked with any of those foundation applicator tools. That is until I heard, bought and tried the beauty blender sponge.

Out of all the tools I have used in my life to apply my foundation and concealer, nothing has worked as well as my beauty blender. I cannot say enough about this product. This sponge works like magic. It makes my foundation go on smoothly, leaves no streaks behind and blends so amazingly. It literally gives you a flawless coverage to the point where if you stipple it, it hide your pores with your foundation that it gives you a porcelain like complexion! I know the famous makeup artist Wayne Goss says not to over do it with the perfect no pore complexion, but I just love the way it makes my face look.

However the only problem I have with this sponge is that it started breaking part only after a few months. I would of thought it would of lasted longer then 2-3 month worth of use. Note, I don't wear makeup everyday, so that really disappointed me!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2014 5:55:00 PM More reviews by Applehead09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

Worth the 20$. Dupes just don't give the same effect !

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2014 5:54:00 PM More reviews by BeautyBySantaAna

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I personally love this beauty sponge and work very well with HD camera. No streaks and even application. I use it all the time on all my makeup tutorials.

Check beauty tutorials (All under 4 minutes)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2014 5:31:00 PM More reviews by samanthasundloff

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Best EVER!!!!! No dupe will ever come close. Worth every penny of the $20! I will buy again and again and again!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2014 5:08:00 PM More reviews by Callmecorrina

This beauty blender literally changes everything about your face makeup. For a while I was in love with the Real Techniques buffing brush, then I got this.for anyone in doubt, trust me I get it. A sponge? Really? Yes! The material that this beauty blender uses is a miracle worker, be sure to use it damp. It makes any liquid face makeup go on flawless, from foundation, to tinted moisturizer, bb creams etc. It obviously leaves no streaks & leaves the most natural finish. I also think it is easier to use than a brush, brushes you have to constantly buff the product in, and some ares on our faces are hard to reach. The beauty blender allows you to evenly apply product without streak or cakiness. The shape of the beauty blender allows you to reach in those places you normally can't get, like the nose area and it's perfect for under eyes. It is so easy to layer with this product, you won't get that "cakey" look so soon. I find that it also decreases the chance of creasing because you are pushing the product into your fact rather than just brushing it on. My only problem with it is that, it can get really dirty & so please wash once a week. Especially because you use it wet, bacteria can begin to grow, so clean clean clean. I've also tried mimic sponges, they just don't do the same job, not too sure what it is about the beauty blender, but everyone needs to try it. It changed everything. It is very pricey though.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2014 7:29:00 PM More reviews by NikkiBri88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

YOU. NEED. THIS. IN. YOUR. LIFE. NOW.

I know what you're thinking, a $20 makeup sponge? Not happening. I thought that too, at first. After buying the dupes at TJ Maxx/Marshalls and absolutely hating them (let me tell you, the dupes are NOT the same).. I caved and bought the beauty blender set for $25 on Amazon.

BEST. DECISION. OF. MY. LIFE.

The beauty blender changes the way you apply foundation completely. Being so easy to use, and for the finish it gives to your skin, I don't know how I went without this for so long. I had watched SEVERAL you tube gurus use the beauty blender, but I just couldn't fathom the thought of spending $20+ on a friggin sponge. Like I said, I bought the dupes; I think one of the dupes I tried was by the brand "Revive." That sponge was horrible, it felt like I was punching myself in the face when applying my make up, and the Sonia Kashuk one didn't do anything for me either. The beauty blender can be used with so many different products (foundation, cream blush, conealer)-- Really, just about anything. They last a pretty good amount of time as well.

I haven't used a brush to apply any foundation to my face in nearly a year.. I would HIGHLYYYYY recommend investing in the beauty blender.. you'll fall in love. I promise.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No