December 20, 2014 | 1704 users online

Liquid - Hourglass - Veil Fluid Makeup SPF 15

rated 2 of 5 on 11/18/2014 10:21:00 PM More reviews by shelliemarie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I asked for a medium to full coverage foundation for slightly dry skin, with
a luminous type finish. I was looking a Dior Star, and the sales girl
told me I would like Hourglass Veil better, because it has skin treatments
that would help dry skin. Not only does it not really make any difference
on my dry skin patches,the worst part is this has the coverage of
a tinted moisturizer, at least I think so. It is slightly better when you first
put it on, but it was essentially gone in most areas on my face by noon if
I put it on around 7 am. Definitely not worth the large price tag.
I really am starting to think when it comes to foundations that high
end is really not better. I love my Covergirl Outlast, Revlon Colorstay
Whipped, and Loreal True Match Lumi. All much better than this 60.00
foundation.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2014 5:52:00 PM More reviews by HollyWould123

I have been trying many Hourglass products lately and have been mostly loving them all. This foundation was just so-so, nothing special to me. I preferred the Liquid to Powder one 10x over this. I found this to be a little lighter as far as coverage goes, but buildable. I haven't used this over a long period of time, so I am unsure of whether the anti-aging claims/properties work or not. Regardless, I wasn't a fan of how this looked after a few hours. It looked blotchy and muddy in certain areas. I will say somehow it controlled my oily skin better than most foundations have been lately. Overall, I don't think I'd repurchase this, but will stick within the Hourglass family with the liquid to powder one!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2014 12:13:00 AM More reviews by verte

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I attended an Hourglass makeup session here in Australia with some visiting Hourglass MA from LA. I was matched by her to shade 0 being Porcelain. My skin is normal to dry and I am MAC NW25, Chanel 30, By Terry 8 Intense Beige and was somewhat surprised at being matched to a shade so light (though it is winter here and I am pale/pasty at this time of year), but went with it. There was some discussion she had with the other MA about whether this shade or the next shade (I'm guessing 1?) was the best for my skin and they decided that 0 was the best match. She applied it with the Hourglass foundation brush and when in the chair it looked ok, a little streaky but ok - so I bought it. I think I was under some sort of Hourglass spell that day as I also bought a few other things, all of which I am happy with except for this.

Since this time I have tried using this foundation with my fingers and with every brush and sponge in my arsenal, with and without my sample bottle of Veil primer and I cannot get it to look good. It streaks. It settles into every single fine line I have, every pore and every bit of dry skin. Given that I use peel pads every other day and my skin is generally very smooth because of it, I don't have much in the way of dry and flaky skin, and my pores aren't big at all, but this foundation seems to find and accentuate everything I think is bad about my skin.

Further, the 0 Porcelain shade is just too light - I look pasty, not healthy, wearing this. Maybe I should have put my foot down and asked for the darker shade, I don't know, but I'm not inclined to argue with a makeup artist who supposedly knows her stuff.

The foundation doesn't seem to cover anything at all in terms of redness or imperfections - it streaks right over the top of redness around my nose, for example. This is meant to be buildable in terms of coverage but I can't see how when all it does is streak.

I also hate the sunscreen smell in the foundation. I can smell it when it's on my face and it's just gross.

The packaging is sturdy, minimalist and attractive and I like the pump dispenser but the product is just awful.

So disappointed especially considering the price (AU$79). If you are considering this foundation get some samples first!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/10/2014 12:54:00 PM More reviews by Alice000

I bought this in shade 01 and the colour itself was a very good match (for reference I am a 20 beige in Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, and a 52 in Bourjois healthy mix)

The lady in Space NK applied this to my face with Laura Mercier oil free primer underneath, and Laura Mericier translucent powder on top. It looked really nice at first, gave a light to medium coverage and was glowing and beautifying.

Within a couple of hours I noticed that it had settled in my pores and had accentuated them horribly. I also noticed It looked ashy and grey underneath my eyes.

I will be returning this tomorrow.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2014 4:42:00 PM More reviews by Pianomuse23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am in an odd relationship with Hourglass Veil Foundation, and I have yet to to decide exactly where I stand. After using it for 6 months, I feel like a have a good sense of the product. So here is the rundown:

Who it is for: I think this product is best for someone who needs very light coverage. I think that someone in the range of mid 30s on, who has fairly clear and somewhat dry skin would benefit the most. I am in my lower 30s, but have had my skin turn a bit dry early and have seen some light lines pop up around my eyes as a result, so this seemed like a good fit.

The pros: it is wonderfully hydrating for dry skin. I think that even on combo skin this would come off as too shiny, but on dry skin it looks glowy. A little bit goes a long way - you only need a very small amount for really nice looking skin. It blends well, and the lasting power is pretty good - I put it on around 7am and notice it starting to fade around 7pm. I don't do any touch-ups, either. I am generally really happy with how my skin looks when it's on.

Also, I have EXTREMELY, INSANELY, UNBELIEVABLY sensitive skin. Like, I walk into a store with scented products and I get a rash on my face (no joking). Any many other products break me out terribly. This is one of the few I have found that not only doesn't break me out, but actually seems to actively keep my face calm. Not one breakout related to this product.

The cons: use too much and you are a walking flake factory. It settles into lines even when put on lightly, you really have to use this very, very lightly. Also, because it needs to be used so lightly, it rubs off of places like the nose pretty quickly. Skin does look pretty blotchy because parts of it have worn off by the evening,but to touch it up with any more makes it look flaky.

So I really like it, overall. It's not my HG, but I have tried and tried and this is one of the very very few concealer a for my type of skin I can use that doesn't break me out or irritate my face. If you have clear, dry, and aging skin, you may really like this.

A note: so many people complain about the color matching. For whatever reason, I happen to be an EXACT match for the fair, so I don't have any complaints there!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2014 2:18:00 AM More reviews by msjody

I'm normally a NARS Sheer Glow girl but was given a bottle of this when I ran out.

At the time my Sheer Glow was sitting slightly cakey on my skin as I had become slightly dryer in the winter and this was the perfect alternative.

It gives a lovely luminous finish but I imagine on an oily skin it could slip and slide. I notice it lasts almost as long as my Sheer Glow once applied, so a whole 8 hour shift as long as I powder my t-zone. I reach for the products equally now but will go for Sheer Glow if it's a particularly hot day if I anticipate that I'll be sweating as it's slightly more mattifying and long-lasting

The colour is good for me (Beige 4) but there isn't a very wide range of colours. Overall I was very impressed but £50 is a hefty price tag (although it does include skin beneficial ingredients)

I am an ex - acne sufferer still prone to the odd reaction and this didn't cause anything at all. The veil primer DID cause a few pimples however and I'm guessing it's due to the heavy silicone content. So if you've reacted to the primer, don't let that out you off the foundation!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2014 3:29:00 AM More reviews by anitahsieh

Currently I am on Accutane and my once oily skin has turned extremely dry with tightness all over but especially on the corners of my mouth. I couldn't find any foundation that would sit properly on that area, regardless of how much exfoliation, moisturization, or primers I would prep my skin, I would be up with what I call my 'beard' of flakey skin within the hour of makeup application. Even tinted moisturizers, bb creams, and Bobbi Brown's cream stick foundation exacerbated my dry skin.

Enter this foundation, which the Sephora sales associate told me that this is perfect for extremely dry skinned clients, I immediately asked for a sample. I am usually an NC 25-30, and she matched me to Light Beige, which a bit deeper and pinker than what I usually go for. While the color match isn't amazing, I must say this is the first foundation that A. Gave awesome coverage for my aggravated red areas, B. Made my skin feel and look like skin again (I even got a bit shiny, since I didn't powder), C. Didn't get the dreaded beard, and D. It lasted from 7 am to 10 pm and still looked pretty decent!

I might have to just get this foundation despite the price tag since my dryness currently is on another level, but I'll play around with the generous sample until I commit to the full size for $70 CAD

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2014 7:25:00 PM More reviews by scarattina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ok, so I am a bit on the fence with this foundation. It is a true 4 out of 5 star foundation.

**Start with the bad...
Color selection is just awful. I'm not buying into the whole 1 size fits all makeup marketing thing. Perhaps they thought it was more high end to only offer a few colors. Anyway, I am around NC20-25, Bobbi Brown Sand 2.5-Beige 3, Bourjois 52, Make Up Forever N120. The closest match for me was shade 1.5 Nude. The 2 as mentioned is a strange dark orange color. If you are NC20 which seems to be a very common color, the only way you are going to get a perfect match is by mixing shades 0 with 1.5. If you are someone who doesn't mind a little bit of extra "warmth", or if your neck is darker than your face, then you'll still like this foundation regardless of getting the perfect shade, bc the thin formula still makes it look decent, just adding some peachiness to the face. I however, like to get a perfect color match because just a few shades off ages the face, I feel. Right in between NC25-NC30 should be a perfect match for HGVeil in 1.5 Nude. 0 Porcelain gave my NC20 face a white-ish cast, so I think it's best for NC15-NC20. Any lighter and you're out of luck.

**The Good...
I think this is a must-have for makeup artists, who can buy multiple shades and mix them as necessary.

Beautiful gorgeous lightweight and silken formula that plays on the light really well. Thin consistency with good coverage. Those with redness will LOVE this foundation, as it's really designed to cover that.

Another GREAT thing about this is the peachiness does WORK covering undereye darkness!! I may have to play around with this, maybe use it to blend into areas on top of my other foundations, or pat on where I am getting redness from the sun. Someone else mentioned that being necessary for mediteranean skin tone, and I believe that's true I'm pale olive, (and even for other skin tones to get the most realistic looking coverage.) Kenneth Soh says he never uses just one foundation on his models. I think that is the nature of this product too, it's so realistic looking that it is better suited to applying on certain areas of the face with the right shade.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**Overall
This alllmooost works for me, but I also got Bourjois Healthy Mix in the mail at the same time, and wearing both on my face, they are SOOO similar!! My gosh. Anyway, the Bourjois HM is just a little bit better....err maybe a lot better (can't stop looking at the side with BJHM!), but they're both great. If you like this but can't find your color, try to buy a BJHM online, the price is ridiculously cheap too.

The people that hate this are most likely just using the wrong color. Usually that exaggerating all lines and looking 10 years older is just from the wrong color match.

As a foundation lover, I may keep this in case I darker this summer as the formula agrees with my skin and is one of the best foundations I've tried. SO natural. Looks like you just have amazin' skin!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/5/2014 11:04:00 PM More reviews by Cath12

Probably one of the worst foundations I've ever used! Didn't ditsy on longer than 3 hours in cold weather before it started sliding off my face. Settled into lines and overall just looked awful.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/21/2014 4:13:00 AM More reviews by katieransley

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have very pale skin, and I was matched as porcelain in store. I have quite oily skin, that occasionally breaks out, but for the most part is quite blemish free and even toned. I do have some large pores around my nose but generally my skin is pretty good. This foundation looked quite nice in the store, flawless and luminous, which is what I wanted. I wore it home and as the day went on, it became darker, and almost orange toned, and quite clearly the wrong colour for me. It also magnified my pores and sat unevenly on my skin, and accentuated any tiny flaw on my skin. It also had a funny smell to it, and I am not generally sensitive to smells. It doesn't seem to be a foundation that wears well. I couldn't wait to take it off. I was really disappointed with this, and will definitely return it.