Hourglass Veil Fluid Makeup SPF 15

3.4

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Octisalate 4.0%, Oxybenzone 3.0%. Inactive Ingredients: Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Cetyl Peg/Ppg 10/1 Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glycerin, Glyceryl Behenate, Glyceryl Dibehenate, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Hexyl Laurate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydroxypropyl Cyclodextrin, Isododecane, Isoeicosane, Macrocystic Pyrifera Extract, Magnesium Sulfate, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-38, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Phenoxyethanol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Potassium Sorbate, Propylene Carbonate, Pvp, Quaternium-90 Bentonite, Silica, Sodium Benzoate, Tocopherylacetate, Tribehenin, Triethoxylcaprylylsilane, Water. May Contain (+/-): Iron Oxides (Ci 77491), Iron Oxides (Ci 77492), Iron Oxides (Ci 77499), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891).

on 7/23/2015 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

There's a lot to like about Hourglass in general, but I'm not in like with Veil Fluid.

Veil Fluid is a very thick liquid which doesn't run easily. It's heavily pigmented and upon application, gives medium-to-full coverage right off the bat, so if you prefer fuller coverage foundations, this will be up your alley. If not, you could use a Beautyblender to sheer it out, but the sheerest I was able to get it is towing the line between light to medium coverage, so if you are looking for something light--this is not the one for you.

Upon application, it is heavy. You can feel it on your face while you wear it all day, and it definitely transfers. Even lightly scratching my face, I would wind up with foundation under my nails. It gives a dewy finish, but it does not emphasize dry patches on the skin, nor did it break me out when I tried samples of it. For those that are looking into cruelty-free, high-end options, this product is vegan. It also wore well throughout the day, no issues with it wearing off, but it does tend to take on a very dewy/greasy looking appearance at the end of the day.

The packaging is very lovely, though. A weighty bottle with simplistic packaging, however, I don't like that it doesn't give you an idea for how much product is left inside. It also contains SPF 15, which is something I'm not fond of in foundations. No one ever wears enough of it to confer actual protection and it tends to cause flashback in pictures.

My last quibble over the product is that the shade range is limited. The lightest shade is definitely a cool yellow (yay!), but going forward, the undertones are a little wonky. For whatever reason, although 0 (Porcelain, which I'd put at ~NC10-15) is neutral/yellow, the next yellow undertoned shade is allegedly 3 (Sand), which is a huge jump (and when I tested it in store, it definitely did not seem to have yellow undertones). In addition to this, there are limited options for POCs as well.

Overall, I didn't have an entirely bad experience with this foundation, but it wasn't one that fit me, ymmv.

Pros:

- Medium-to-full coverage (with Beautyblender); full coverage (fingers or brush) (for those that are looking for this)
- Vegan/cruelty-free
- Did not cause break outs
- Does not emphasize flakes
- Beautiful packaging

Cons:

- Feels very heavy
- Takes on greasy appearance at end of day
- Transfers easily
- Weird and limited color offerings/undertone classifications
- Cannot be sheered to light coverage
- Potentially might cause flashback due to SPF (which doesn't give adequate sun protection in any case)

on 7/11/2015 12:32:00 PM

This foundation doesn't give me the nice finish I want. I'm currently experimenting with different moisturizers and serums to see if I can get the satin finish it promises. I'm not sure I want to keep it but because it's fragrance free (and I'm sensitive to perfumes ever since I used a retinol product almost a year ago) I keep trying to make it work. The Ivory color is not quite right either. It's too dark for my light neutral complexion, even for summer, so I'm mixing it with a bit of my Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk, which is a lighter shade. The two formulations seem compatible and the color is much better with a bit of the lighter GA (which I wear in the wintertime) mixed in. I use the Veil with the HG Mineral primer but the primer does nothing to fill in or minimize my pores, even when I let it dry. So I'm totally on the fence about the foundation and am considering returning it to Sephora. I wouldn't really recommend this foundation if you have any issues with fine lines or large pores because it seems to seep into these crevices even with the Mineral primer underneath. If I return it, I think I will just order the GA in a color that's a little darker than the one I have. I love the finish of the GA and it truly does make my skin look luminous (but without shimmer). So all in all, I have mixed feelings about this HG foundation. It's taking far too much work to make it look nice. Foundation is so important so I don't want to waste the $60 this foundation costs by just tossing into my drawer of product FAILS. If I change my mind or decide to definitely return it, I will update this review. Sorry to be so vague but it's one of those much raved about products that hasn't totally worked out for me. I keep thinking there's something I'm doing wrong. But maybe it just isn't meant to be.

on 4/6/2015 10:27:00 AM

I bought this foundation from Mecca a few days ago in the shade beige which is a perfect match for my skin tone. The packaging is retarded it comes out on a stick, like a lipgloss applicator but no sponge on the end. The consistency of the foundation is really nice and soft and a tiny amount goes a long way which is great considering the price you pay! Coverage is pretty good I think it's like a medium coverage and quite a dewy finish, still looks nice after a few hours. So far no skin issues with this foundation

on 2/27/2015 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

The first few times I used this at honme I didn't like it. I was using it over Dr Brandt primer. It was cakey and terrible.

As a last ditch attempt before I returned it to Sephora I tried it over a generous application of the Arbonne primer which is VERY siliconey and slippery. OMG. This foundation, buffed in with a dome brush is amazing! Airburshed, perfect finish yet looks like no makeup. If you're having problems try it over a very slippy primer.

on 2/17/2015 11:57:00 PM

A beautiful foundation. Especially if you have the right color. It tightens pores like you wouldn't believe. Helping with lines around my eyes. Expensive but you get what you pay for. I find that a full pump is to much for my face so I expect this to last awhile. So happy with this foundation and the look of my skin.

on 11/18/2014 10:21:00 PM

I asked for a medium to full coverage foundation for slightly dry skin, with
a luminous type finish. I was looking a Dior Star, and the sales girl
told me I would like Hourglass Veil better, because it has skin treatments
that would help dry skin. Not only does it not really make any difference
on my dry skin patches,the worst part is this has the coverage of
a tinted moisturizer, at least I think so. It is slightly better when you first
put it on, but it was essentially gone in most areas on my face by noon if
I put it on around 7 am. Definitely not worth the large price tag.
I really am starting to think when it comes to foundations that high
end is really not better. I love my Covergirl Outlast, Revlon Colorstay
Whipped, and Loreal True Match Lumi. All much better than this 60.00
foundation.

on 10/25/2014 5:52:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have been trying many Hourglass products lately and have been mostly loving them all. This foundation was just so-so, nothing special to me. I preferred the Liquid to Powder one 10x over this. I found this to be a little lighter as far as coverage goes, but buildable. I haven't used this over a long period of time, so I am unsure of whether the anti-aging claims/properties work or not. Regardless, I wasn't a fan of how this looked after a few hours. It looked blotchy and muddy in certain areas. I will say somehow it controlled my oily skin better than most foundations have been lately. Overall, I don't think I'd repurchase this, but will stick within the Hourglass family with the liquid to powder one!

on 9/9/2014 12:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I attended an Hourglass makeup session here in Australia with some visiting Hourglass MA from LA. I was matched by her to shade 0 being Porcelain. My skin is normal to dry and I am MAC NW25, Chanel 30, By Terry 8 Intense Beige and was somewhat surprised at being matched to a shade so light (though it is winter here and I am pale/pasty at this time of year), but went with it. There was some discussion she had with the other MA about whether this shade or the next shade (I'm guessing 1?) was the best for my skin and they decided that 0 was the best match. She applied it with the Hourglass foundation brush and when in the chair it looked ok, a little streaky but ok - so I bought it. I think I was under some sort of Hourglass spell that day as I also bought a few other things, all of which I am happy with except for this.

Since this time I have tried using this foundation with my fingers and with every brush and sponge in my arsenal, with and without my sample bottle of Veil primer and I cannot get it to look good. It streaks. It settles into every single fine line I have, every pore and every bit of dry skin. Given that I use peel pads every other day and my skin is generally very smooth because of it, I don't have much in the way of dry and flaky skin, and my pores aren't big at all, but this foundation seems to find and accentuate everything I think is bad about my skin.

Further, the 0 Porcelain shade is just too light - I look pasty, not healthy, wearing this. Maybe I should have put my foot down and asked for the darker shade, I don't know, but I'm not inclined to argue with a makeup artist who supposedly knows her stuff.

The foundation doesn't seem to cover anything at all in terms of redness or imperfections - it streaks right over the top of redness around my nose, for example. This is meant to be buildable in terms of coverage but I can't see how when all it does is streak.

I also hate the sunscreen smell in the foundation. I can smell it when it's on my face and it's just gross.

The packaging is sturdy, minimalist and attractive and I like the pump dispenser but the product is just awful.

So disappointed especially considering the price (AU$79). If you are considering this foundation get some samples first!

on 7/10/2014 12:54:00 PM

I bought this in shade 01 and the colour itself was a very good match (for reference I am a 20 beige in Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, and a 52 in Bourjois healthy mix)

The lady in Space NK applied this to my face with Laura Mercier oil free primer underneath, and Laura Mericier translucent powder on top. It looked really nice at first, gave a light to medium coverage and was glowing and beautifying.

Within a couple of hours I noticed that it had settled in my pores and had accentuated them horribly. I also noticed It looked ashy and grey underneath my eyes.

I will be returning this tomorrow.

on 6/17/2014 4:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I am in an odd relationship with Hourglass Veil Foundation, and I have yet to to decide exactly where I stand. After using it for 6 months, I feel like a have a good sense of the product. So here is the rundown:

Who it is for: I think this product is best for someone who needs very light coverage. I think that someone in the range of mid 30s on, who has fairly clear and somewhat dry skin would benefit the most. I am in my lower 30s, but have had my skin turn a bit dry early and have seen some light lines pop up around my eyes as a result, so this seemed like a good fit.

The pros: it is wonderfully hydrating for dry skin. I think that even on combo skin this would come off as too shiny, but on dry skin it looks glowy. A little bit goes a long way - you only need a very small amount for really nice looking skin. It blends well, and the lasting power is pretty good - I put it on around 7am and notice it starting to fade around 7pm. I don't do any touch-ups, either. I am generally really happy with how my skin looks when it's on.

Also, I have EXTREMELY, INSANELY, UNBELIEVABLY sensitive skin. Like, I walk into a store with scented products and I get a rash on my face (no joking). Any many other products break me out terribly. This is one of the few I have found that not only doesn't break me out, but actually seems to actively keep my face calm. Not one breakout related to this product.

The cons: use too much and you are a walking flake factory. It settles into lines even when put on lightly, you really have to use this very, very lightly. Also, because it needs to be used so lightly, it rubs off of places like the nose pretty quickly. Skin does look pretty blotchy because parts of it have worn off by the evening,but to touch it up with any more makes it look flaky.

So I really like it, overall. It's not my HG, but I have tried and tried and this is one of the very very few concealer a for my type of skin I can use that doesn't break me out or irritate my face. If you have clear, dry, and aging skin, you may really like this.

A note: so many people complain about the color matching. For whatever reason, I happen to be an EXACT match for the fair, so I don't have any complaints there!