December 21, 2014 | 1787 users online

Sunscreen - Ocean Potion - FACE Potion Clear Zinc SPF 45

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 9/22/2014 3:30:00 AM More reviews by frippery

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

This is a pretty decent facial sunscreen, and I like it more than the many higher priced options I've tried (about $3 an oz).

Texture/Finish:
Thick, creamy but does not feel greasy. You can definitely feel this on, though. The formula is kind of stiff, so you have to apply it quickly otherwise it's patchy and hard to spread around as it dries. It has a semj matte finish, with a very slight greasy sheen. There is also a slight white cast. I apply sunscreen generously and found it impossible to rub in so that the white dissapeared completely. However, it's not as pronouced as pure mineral sunscreens, and there is no weird blue-ish tone.

Staying Power:
Does not rub off easily on me. In fact, I have to carefully remove this at night with cleanser and a facial brush.

Scent:
Typical mineral sunscreen smell--it's not pleasant. I am sensitive to strong scents but thankfully this does not linger.

Irritation:
No fumes. I could apply this around my eyes and on eyelids with a mimimal amount of irritation (on some occasions I noticed a slight tingle, which might be due to the chemical sunscreen ingredients).

Comedogenic?
I didn't experience any irritation breakouts, though it did seem to produce more bumps/milia (as is the case with me and most sunscreens).

Packaging:
This is the biggest downside. It's a small amount (1oz) packaged in a tub. I would have preferred to have this packaged in a squeeze tube, which is less messy, more hygenic and minimizes light exposure.

Active Ingredients:
A mix of chemical and mineral sunscreens. They must have changed the formula-- a few older reviews here mentioned too-low (1%) zinc oxide content, or missing active ingredient percentages. Mine is labeled "broad spectrum" and has actives listed:

Octinoxate 7.5% (Sunscreen)
Zinc Oxide 7% (Sunscreen)
Oxybenzone 5% (Sunscreen)
Octisalate 5% (Sunscreen)
Octocrylene 2% (Sunscreen)

Inactive Ingredients: Acrylates Copolymer, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Dimethicone, Methylparaben, Propylene Glycol, Propylparaben, Sorbitan Stearate, Sorbityl Laurate, Stearyl Alcohol, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Water, Xanthan Gum

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2014 8:42:00 PM More reviews by Lavendork

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

Finally- a face-sunscreen that is EFFECTIVE, GENTLE, VERSATILE, and CHEAP! I always keep this little potion in my purse when I'm on the go. It's GREAT for sensitive skin, doesn't have much odor, and doesn't clog pores. Better than that, it can be worn under makeup (for even BETTER SPF if your foundation is toting some) and it's very affordable. I personally love it! It can be a little harsh on sensitive skin if you apply it RIGHT after cleansing, so give it some time and let it do its thing before hurrying along with your regime. Sometimes, I'll even rub some onto my hands and pat it over makeup if I'm out for a long time. It gets your whole face, your eyelids, your ears and your neck, no problem, so be generous with it! I'd say its only real downside is the packaging- I'm not a fan of tubs, and it can be a little bit messy to reapply once the potion has been rattling around in your purse and sticking to the top of the container. Nonetheless, that's just nitpicking, and it's a great product if you break out or get red from other facial sunscreens!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2013 12:14:00 PM More reviews by gracie114

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have very fair skin and am very concerned about protecting my skin from the sun. I utilized this product this summer and was very pleased with it. The product didn't feel greasy or clog my pores.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2012 10:00:00 AM More reviews by Lunatrick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm trying to figure out what product y'all are reviewing, because not only does my outer packaging list ALL actives (octinoxate, zinc oxide, octisalate, octocrylene), it also says it has 7% zinc oxide, not 1% like a bunch of reviews have stated.

i haven't been able to give this stuff the acid test of a full day in the sun, but my skin seems to like it so far and my skin doesn't really like ANYTHING sunscreen-related.

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate (7.5%), Octisalate (5%), Octocrylene (2%), Zinc Oxide (7%)

Inactive Ingredients: Acrylates Copolymer, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Dimethicone, Methylparaben, Propylene Glycol, Propylparaben, Sorbitan Stearate, Sorbityl Laurate, Stearyl Alcohol, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Water, Xanthan Gum

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2012 2:25:00 PM More reviews by desertdwellr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this in an emergency situation, and glad I did. It's not my usual sweat/water resistant sunscreen, but it held up after an hour and a half run, in the 80 degree Phoenix, winter sun. Also, it didn't cause any breakouts, and most sunscreens do that to me. Too bad the SPF is only 45. It's a thick cream that goes on white but changes to clear, after you rub it in. It didn't look greasy on me either, but there was a slight 'sheen'. Nothing that made me concerned, though. It didn't 'ball up' either. I wouldn't use this under makeup, but that's just me. There are better products out there, for that (Loreal's Sublime is probably better under makeup). It's a nice, cheap sunscreen. No frills. You can find it at Walmart.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2012 2:49:00 AM More reviews by Citadini

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I was never one to wear sunblock. I mean, i always opt for a multitasking product. For sun protection, I always used Physicians Formula tinted moist. with high spf every day. But the thing is, it makes me super oily. But i'm afraid to start using an actual sunblock cause I have sensitive skin. After reading raves about this sunblock, I decided to bought it thinking that it's dirt cheap, and even if it doesnt work for my face, I could always use it for my body.
And boy i'm so glad i bought this. It's texture is like a regular sunblock, i was a bit worried because it's a bit thick. But after leaving it on my face for a few minutes, I top it with my mineral foundation. And believe it or not, my face is not as oily as usual. And no white cast issue for me (i have tan skin). I just wish it comes in a tube to make it more sanitary. But overall, I love this product, and WILL DEFINITELY repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/25/2012 9:59:00 AM More reviews by emeraldlove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

Got this as a gift from a friend and have used this for a few days as my every day face sunblock. Every day feels like a hot summer day here so an SPF45 face cream is a really good choice. Upon application my face is shiny but I still used this under my make-up and just tried to blot the oil every few hours. But after about a week or two, I started to break out.
I think this is more suited if you just use this alone, without any make-up over it, like when you are at the beach and going swimming. But I couldn't be sure as I haven't had the chance to use this alone when going to the beach/swimming. I must try that soon as summer months are fast approaching. :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2011 12:36:00 AM More reviews by kaxel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

The only reason I give this product a 3 as opposed to a 5 is that I found online where it only contains 2 percent zinc oxide. The percentage is not high enough for UVA protection although it does protect against UVB (burning). I am looking for full spectrum physical sunscreen and this isn't it. However, if you are just looking to protect against sunburn, this is an awesome product. 1) goes on soft and moisturizing 2) sinks right in 3) doesn't make your face oily. It's beyond dirt cheap at something like $2.50 a pot. Too bad there is not more protection! Still on the hunt for something with more thorough protection.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/4/2011 3:47:00 PM More reviews by karaquirk24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I surf so I need something that will stay on throughout my session and I'm still coming out with my face burnt. It claims to be waterproof but it doesn' t last for more than a 30 min session out in the water.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2011 8:11:00 PM More reviews by haleyanna19

Highly impressed! I usually wear Coppertone Faces Sensitive Skin, which is 8USD where I live, but decided to try this for 2USD instead. Works just as well, if not better than Coppertone Faces Sensitive Skin!!! It is soft, lasts a long time, and didn't make me any oilier than I usually am when I don't wear makeup. I skipped my moisturizer (I usually wear Yes to Tomatoes anti-blemish moisturizer, and it tends to be thick) and wore this outside. Let me tell you where I wore it--I was outside, in the 87 degree heat of the south, from 9:30 am to 2 pm, picking up wood and sticks. Yeah, I was sweating like a PIG! Lol but this stayed on ALL DAY!