Ion Color Brilliance

10 Volume Developer Ingredients: Water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Fragrance, Cetrimonium Chloride, Ethoxydiglycol, Disodium Pyrophosphate, Methylparaben, Oxyquinoline Sulfate, Simethicone, Phosphoric Acid, Glycerin, Wheat Germ Protein.

Liquid Permanent Hair Color Ingredients: Laureth-3, Water, Alcohol Denat., Propylene Glycol, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Oleic Acid, Ammonia, Fragrance, Ethanolamine, Sodium Sulfite, Erythorbic Acid, Lauryl Alcohol, Tetrasodium EDTA, PEG-15 Cocopolyamine, Myristyl Alcohol, TBHQ, Glycerin, Wheat Germ Protein. May Contain: 1-Naphthol, 2,4-Diaminophenoxyethanol HCI, 2-Amino-3-Hydroxypyridine, 2-Methyl-5-Hydroxyethylaminophenol, 2-Methylresorcinol, 4-Amino-2-Hydroxytoluene, 4-Chlororesorcinol, 5-Amino-6-Chloro-o-Cresol, m-Aminophenol, N,N-Bis(2-Hydroxyethyl)-p-Phenylenediamine Sulfate, p-Aminophenol, p-Methylaminophenol Sulfate, p-Phenylenediamine, Phenyl Methyl Pyrazolone, Resorcinol, Toluene-2,5-Diamine Sulfate.

on 4/30/2015 12:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I didn't care much for this product... I got purple to touch up my previous sort of electric purple balayage that I got from a salon a while back, but this was a very lackluster shade (more of a dirty purple), not to mention it basically washed out after one shampoo. I also really disliked how pasty it was. I've heard that you can add conditioner to it to make it easier to apply, but I still think that because of the poor longevity I will not be buying this product again. I should have just bought the Pravana vivids purple which is what my stylist used, but I was impatient and picked the Ion purple up at Sally's. If you want lasting, high saturated pigments go with something else...

on 3/16/2015 9:44:00 PM

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have used PPD free liquid Ion color in jet black for about a year now. I have very sensitive skin and have noticed ppd free dyes seem to not irritate my scalp (allergy maybe?). Ion liquid has been great! No stinging, no overwhelming smell, rinses out well, color lasts forever ( as a natural light red head that dyes their hair black, well, it can fade a little if the dye isn't potent enough). Sallys was out of the liquid. I bought the cream. I mixed it with the recommended developer and went to town on my 3 inch roots. It was like Elmers glue. Chunky clumpy unspreadable Elmers glue. I have very thick hair and have to occasionally use two bottles of the liquid ion if I go more than 2 months without doing my roots. It had been 3 months since I last dyed it. I bought three bottles today because it was on sale. I ended having to use all three bottles to do my roots because it was completely unable to spread through my hair. The color results were amazing and more potent than the liquid but I cannot recommend a dye, or use it again, that made me use three bottles because it was too hard to work with. I will use the liquid from now on.

on 3/6/2015 5:52:00 PM

This is a review for: Ion Color Brilliance dark intense blonde amonia free hair dye, Used with Ion Color Brilliance Ammonia Free Developer 18 Volume.
I decided to write a review on these products, because I did research before buying, but could not find anything specific about this product and how it would develop on my hair. Now a little bit of hair back round on myself, My hair is naturally a grayish ash blonde color, (very lack luster if you know what I mean.) It was recently bleached, and white toned, to the palest blonde, (very healthy, and in good condition, Also my hair was just trimmed, so no dead ends or anything) - Just a tip, anyone dying, or bleaching their hair, go out and immediately buy unrefined coconut oil. Slather it on your head before dying/bleaching and your hair will be in perfect condition! - I had planned on dying my hair a lavender color, Or some other pastel color of the like. But changed my mind, bc 2 weeks after having pale blonde white hair, my ugly gray-ash roots started growing back. So I decided I wanted a very neutral, dark blonde color.
After using the cap to open the dye, I want to add it was really hard getting the whole tube of dye out to mix with the developer? I had to push really hard and it hurt. Lol. This was also a creme hair dye, Which I have not had experience with, But have heard good things about creme dyes, whereas they do not drip as much. So I figured what the heck and gave it a shot. Putting it on though, was a disaster... It matted my hair immediately, and was almost IMPOSSIBLE to get a comb through it, And I've had my hair knot up like that w hair dye before... But not like this. I was very scared and just kept slathering it on as best as I could to saturate everything. -This also was not that much of a big deal for me, Bc my hair is so thick, but when I was applying this my hair was coming out in lil clumps? ... So I would not recommend this product AT ALL for people with very thin hair. So be warned about that also.
My hair is a little past shoulder lengthy, fine, and super thick, So I bought two tubes, I got really nervous towards the end of the application bc I thought I wouldn't have enough, But it was JUST enough, so warning, for very long thick hair you may need 3 or 4 tubes to be safe.
I left it on for the recommended time, Which is 40 mins... I suggest 25, or less if you just want an actual DARK blonde color. By the time I went to check on it it was a very very very DARK color, Not blonde at all, almost looks like a dark brown with gold? I don't hate it, And I know the color will fade quickly, Especially since my hair was bleached near white prior, But still, Definitely not the color it implies. But over all for the price and the ending results not a bad product, Looking back, I probably should have went with the medium intense blonde, as opposed ot the dark intense blonde. But i just wanted to warn others and give a proper review!

on 3/1/2015 8:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

LONG LASTING RED!
I don't know why I've waited so long to rate this product. I have been coloring my dark blonde hair with red dye for years. I've used L'Oreal, Wella(both drugstore and professional), Clairol, and many others from beauty supply chains. I have settled on the dark red blonde from Color Ion (level 6R). I use this with the sensitive scalp developer 3% or level 10, as I don't need to lift color; just deposit. This product is amazing, in that it fades much more slowly and naturally than any red color I have seen. It leaves my hair soft and shiny and natural. I only color my ends about twice a year, and do my roots about every 4-5 weeks. I prefer the liquid, as opposed to the cream, as I feel it is easier to apply and it doesn't seem to stain my skin or bathroom as easily. I have used this for 2+ years now and will continue for years to come.

on 12/13/2014 11:56:00 AM

Alright, I have dark brown hair just to my ears...that pulls red(Oranges etc)..... In the past 14 months I have been a regular at Sallys and in hair color lane at pharmacies etc. Learning testing as a semi-beginner.

I'm still trying products to be sure....but wanted to let anyone interested know the Ion 5A light Ash brown perm at least does something compared to the many products out there that just basically suck.

I look at all my pics from the last year of experimenting and although this isn't my ideal color it's done best job all in all.

If you have dark brown hair and want it light , try this. It's not going to be 'blond' etc........but if your hair pulls reds , put this 5a perm ion on it. Follow directions etc...

*******prefer to bleach my hair ( area I want light) out first to light orange or close enough....then color with this , about 10plus minutes and start watching....... it get it a light color with no reds....I m not sure what the effect if I just add to virgin hair...hmmmmmm might have to test that out...

on 12/12/2014 8:43:00 PM

I used this color on my and my daughter's hair for over two years. Overall, the blonde shades came out nice on my daughter's hair, but the reddish brown shade on mine just made it seem dull. I wanted a rich color, and I think my hair looked worse after I colored it! The color didn't have a strong smell while I was applying it, but it had a fairly strong smell later that evening. It took a couple days for the smell to go away. It also seemed to fade fairly quickly. Overall, I was not happy with my results. I switched to the Aragon Oil Hair Color brand and am much happier now.

on 11/29/2014 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

12.1A High Lift Ash Blonde
I've just used this but it's lifted my hair a level or two [my sister said, wow did you hair get blonder?] and it actually turned my hair ash unlike the 8A. The ash faded in a couple of washes, but my hair was left a nice creamy blonde.

8A Light Ash Blonde
My hair turned orange after a couple of washes. After looking through the reviews, my experience mimics CR000's. Their review is a lot more detailed than mine. If you go to Most Helpful, you can see his there.

Ion is gentle, as always. On the bright side, it did nothing, but it also did NOTHING. Why does this have such high marks? I used 8A light ash blonde on my bleached yellow and all it did was kept the undertone and simply darkened it. Not light, not ash, or blonde really. The reds and golds might be good, but stay away if you're looking for an ashy colour...

on 10/29/2014 12:13:00 PM

First of all, do not buy the cream, buy the liquid. I cannot stand the cream. It doesn't mix well and is a lot harder to work with than using the liquid in a bottle. I have been dying my hair with 2/3 8RC and 1/3 7RC mixed with 20 volume developer. My natural hair color is a level 9 ash blonde. Initially the red faded out very badly but this is likely due to the fact that my hair was over bleached by a salon "professional" who had no idea what he was doing. I have now been dying my hair red for almost 6months. Initially the dye takes fairly dark but within a week fades down to a natural red/copper color. I will say that it looks nothing like the swatch as Sally's. My mix is closer to a 5 or 6 RC, not a 7 or 8. Overall great price and it leaves my hair feeling soft and pretty after each dye. Note, I do use the ion after color sealer as well as the ion deep conditioner in the red bottle afterwards.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i'd consider this a pretty decent hair dye.
here's some specifics:
pros:
-it has lasted longer in my hair than any semi permanent hair dye ever has, 3 weeks and counting
-it hasn't bled at all. like, on anything.
-super cheap ($7)
-not the most vivid colour, but a really nice colour
cons:
-was hard to work with. almost like gel.
-went on unevenly
-not a very vivid colour
-not much dye in the package. i have a pixie cut and i used all of it
-made my hair look greasy
-probably the biggest con.... i bought the sky blue colour and well... it was green.
now you might think that the fact it turned out green would be a dealbreaker, its still a super nice colour, and i'm okay with it to be totally honest.
if you're looking for a specific colour, i'd say go with something more reliable like manic panic. but with how long this stuff has lasted in my hair, i'm pretty impressed so i'll give it a good review.

on 8/8/2014 8:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I've used quite a few shades from this brand in the past. I do agree with previous reviewers that the colors run dark. My virgin roots are about a level 2 with some grey now starting to appear. I chose a neutral shade for its grey coverage, originally I tried their 6N shade with a 30 volume developer but it only took my roots to a medium brown. So I moved to their Level 8 (Light Blonde) mixing 1/2 oz 8N plus 1/4 oz each 8A and 8V with 1 oz of 30 volume developer, apply this to my roots only and process for 25-30 minutes. It turns my roots the perfect light neutral brown color I am looking for. If my color needs to be refreshed (I have highlights that are growing out and they tend to get brassy) I now use One n' Only Demi Permanent Argan Color in 7N on the midshaft & ends to minimize further damage.