August 1, 2014 | 953 users online

Hair Color - Ion - Color Brilliance

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 7/10/2014 12:14:00 PM More reviews by Jhernandez214

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Bought this product for my mom she had a natural level 5 her new growth was a level 2 bought an ion color natural 4 so she wanted it darker .....did an all over color, sectioned, saturated really good used 20 developer it should've deposit the color good her new growth came out good but the level 5 was not so great it still looked the same as if the color did not deposit. Ok my mom has a lot of grays the only reason her gray came out good was because I added some drops of gray magic other than that I didn't not like

rated 2 of 5 on 5/25/2014 8:01:00 PM More reviews by AwesomeAkwardness

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This has been one of the most disappointing products I have used. I purchased Jet Black in the permanent range and colored my hair less than two weeks ago. I made sure to apply everything evenly and left it on for the suggested amount of time... And it's already faded so badly and unevenly.
I don't know if it's the product itself or something I have done.
I will say I don't currently use a sulfate free shampoo, but even the crappy black box dyes held up at least a month.
Now one of the good things about this is that it did not dry out or damage my hair very much at all, in fact my hair was very soft and SOOOO very shiny

I will use up the rest of the dye and see if goes better next time, but I will probably not be buying this ever again. I will either try a different cheaper brand like Wella or just suck it up and buy something like Redken.

*EDIT*
I have recently switched to a sulfate free shampoo, and while it doesn't fade AS quick, it still fades super unevenly.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2014 1:48:00 AM More reviews by dayle81

I've been going to salons for years to keep my naturally dark brown hair a medium coppery color. They do an okay job, but at $120 plus tip it had gotten a little old. I picked up two tubes of light copper brown and the sensitive skin 20vol developer as well as the ion color sealer and shine treatment. Twenty minutes on the dark regrowth and an additional fifteen pulled through the lengths, followed by a shampoo and the ion sealer and shine treatment mixed 1:1 for about five minutes. The color is radiant, deep, shiny and gorgeous. It's even root to tip with no hot roots. I spent about five dollars on two tubes and another five on the developer. I mixed two tubes to 4oz developer in a bowl and first painted my regrowth then I pulled out through the lengths. It turned out AMAZING. I can't believe ten bucks and some online research will save me a thousand bucks this year. Be advised that their colors do tend to pull darker by about a shade. I'll update when I know what fade will look like. All in all, its a good buy.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2014 9:19:00 AM More reviews by tillyred

I bought Ion color to cover my grey roots as finding anything to do the job in the drug store was a waste of money and time. Anything with a hint of red in it turned my grey regrowth "pink" or anything with golden left me with "orange roots" and ash just didnt cover at all.I truely dont think shop bought colors work for anyone with more than a hint of grey.
It does take a lot of research though before you attempt to use Ion though as really it is a professional color and if like me you want to mix a couple of shade together you should try read up on using professional hair color and look at the color wheel to see what will work together.Ive been using the 5 n (you need the natural or neutral for grey in the base or it wont cover the grey. I use 1/1/2 n and then add 1/4 red and get a lovely color which I was never going to get from shop bought colors.It also works out so much cheaper than shop bought too which is great! What you pay big money in the salon for you can do yourself for a fraction of the price!
The only downside of all this is that while it is a great produce and will save you an absolute fortune in salons be very careful chosing a color. The product will only work when used correctly, for instance if you already have colored hair "Color wont lift already colored and will only turn your hair DARKER ! It's fine if you want to go darker but if you are trying to lift already colored hair it will only work on the regrowth and it's very difficult to match roots to already colored hair. please remember this as it is VERY IMPORTANT.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/10/2014 2:57:00 AM More reviews by Bloodrush192

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this in two different colors from the Mochas line, the 4WR and 5WR which is medium and light golden mahogany brown. The product itself is nice and thick when rationed into a bowl. The dye is a creamy consistency that doesn't drip. For me this color is very deceiving, it comes out a LOT darker than the swatch shows when using a 20 developer, an almost ebony/red color and it takes a few weeks for the color to finally show. The only upside to these two colors is that when it does lighten over time it doesn't look too drawn out, the reds in the color do tend to stay quite well, which is why I gave it 3 lippies.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2014 12:54:00 AM More reviews by Lauraasti

I finally got the courage to look into coloring my hair with professional products after using box dye for the last 10+ years. Turns out, it was nowhere near as complicated as I thought, even for someone who has never been to cosmetology school! It just takes some research and a few late-night binges on youtube tutorials :)
My hair had been dyed with Garnier Nutrisse's Light Intense Auburn for dark hair and I loved the color, but I knew my hair wasn't in the best shape. I also had a previously bleached spot that turned an obnoxious reddish orange while the rest of my hair was a beautiful shade of red, so I thought using a low volume developer would help deposit color rather than lift like the box did. My hair (and roots) are naturally a dark ash brown.
Everything I bought was from Sally Beauty Supply. I used 6IR 66.66 in Dark Intense Red Blonde in the creme version with 20 volume Ion Sensitive Scalp developer for my roots and the majority of my hair, and mixed a separate bowl (using just .5 oz) of the color with the same developer in 10 volume for the bleached part, using a 1:1 ratio for both (2 oz of color, 2 oz of developer). I also added in 1/4 tube the Red Hot Intensifier for good measure ;) I used the Colorful Neutral Protein Filler on my hair beforehand as well. After application, I let it sit in my hair under a plastic wrap shower cap for about 45 minutes.
The color is beautiful! It blended very nicely with the red already in my hair and no obnoxious hot roots! And I can IMMEDIATELY tell the difference in my hair by not using box color. Dry hair that easily fell out was common in the first week of coloring, even after using a deep repair masque with the box. Now my hair is SO much softer and more manageable and did not get oily as quickly (i wait 48 hours after rinsing to shampoo). I don't know how to describe it, it just doesn't FEEL like dyed hair after this. It feels healthy and the smell is a million times better than box dye smell. And the color is beautiful, vibrant and pretty much even (except for my ends, where there are remnants of previous black dye and the previously bleached spot was still kind of bright, but no longer orange). A tiny bit darker than I would have liked, but it's still a good, deep red, which is what I wanted.
My hair is a few inches past my shoulders and I juuuuust made it with one tube of the color-might have fared better with another 1/2 tube. That's one of the great things about these products, you can customize how much or little you use. And the price for the color + developer was actually cheaper than my usual box! Because of the great price, I grabbed a few tubes in other colors I was considering as well.
I took off 1 lippy for a few reasons: The color is SO hard to get out of the tube, it's very thick and I had to wrestle with it. It also stains much longer than box color. Usually after one wash with the box, there was no more red residue on my hands and hairline, but the pink residue from Ion is sticking around a little longer (It stains like no other, definitely invest in a stain barrier/remover!). It also was very hard to really get it through my hair. Box dye always seemed to condition my hair in combination with the protein filler and the application was effortless. This stuff was a big time pain, I'll just have to do smaller sections and find more patience!
These products are great for doing your hair professionally, but still having control over the precise desired color/timing/etc (you know your hair better than anyone) and for a fraction of the salon prices! Absolutely recommend!

EDIT 1/31/14: This stuff seems to fade a little faster than I'm used to. I know red fades quicker than any other color, but I'm still put off by how much seems to come out in the shower when I shampoo. I wash my hair twice a week in cold water with sulphate-free shampoo specifically made for red hair and in between those two washes, I put just a dab of shampoo on my usual greasy spots (bangs, where my part ends in the back, behind my ears) just to break down the excess oil, not even enough to create a lather. My water has been so ridiculously pink! Thankfully, I was already a box-dyed red underneath, so it's not fading to my natural color, but still. Luckily this stuff is cheap, so I'll try one more time with my leftover tubes, but I'm a little disappointed. So many people use this and I've only heard about fading once or twice. There's a very good chance it's just my specific hair because I've heard heaps of positive reviews, so I still recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2014 4:49:00 PM More reviews by rose313

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using the High Lift Blondes for years to do my roots. They work exceptionally well on virgin roots that are easy to lift like mine. I also like that I can use either natural, ash, or golden high lift blonde. It doesn't dry my hair out as much as bleach, in fact it doesn't dry my hair out at all.

I've also used the copper browns and because my hair is porous, it sucks the dye right up. Might come out darker than expected if your hair is porous like mine, but the fade is so nice. I can see the copper undertones ever so slightly as it fades, and it's still a nice chocolate brown.

I normally do not use permanent browns (semis only) but this is my exception!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2014 8:14:00 PM More reviews by allymack

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I purchased several Ion Color Brilliance Creme tubes to fulfill a yen I have to go back to blonde hair. My hair is naturally medium brown. I initially messed around with two drugstore box dyes (John Frieda foam and Nice n' Easy) spaced a month apart, before realizing there was no way I would ever get to blonde going that route from my starting hair colour. After both these drugstore dyes, I had only really gotten myself to a very ugly reddish light brown/dark blonde.
Yesterday, I mixed together Ion color brilliance cremes 10v and 8v with Ion sensitive scalp developer, vol. 40, 1:1. I left it on for 45 minutes, followed with a Clairol shimmer lights shampoo, then Ion after-colour treatment, then a mixture of Dove intensive damage therapy conditioner and Clairol shimmer lights conditioner. I am left with what my sister calls honey blonde hair, an 8-level blonde with a hint of strawberry, in good condition - it feels soft to the touch, slightly more dry at the very ends.
I'm really impressed. This colour is not the cool blonde I'm going for (I've picked up Wella Color Charm T15 and T18 and 20 vol. developer to mix together and tone this week), but considering how much my hair loves to pull brass, the fact that I'm not left with unflatteringly strong orange or ginger tones is awesome. I only left in the shimmer lights conditioner for a few minutes, and the shimmer lights shampoo I hardly left in for any time at all (not wanting to damage my hair further), so I doubt this provided enough toning to fully account for the lack of brass. The only con I would really say is that the cream consistency of the dye was a bit more difficult to mix with the liquid developer.
Bottom line, I would definitely re-purchase Ion color brilliance creme. While I didn't get the cool blonde on the swatch, I think the flattering shade I ended up with is pretty darn good considering I was going all the way up from brown hair. I intend to use the leftover 8v and 10v (or maybe some 9v I also have on hand) to take care of my roots, and just make sure to follow with toner.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/1/2013 11:49:00 PM More reviews by mzmaheen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Ok I'm annoyed beyond belief

I bought Ion for my mom and dad to cover their graying hair (root touchup mainly)
and this use to work soo well..

I buy the Darkest Brown or Black
and now it turns their hair this hideous greenish color and doesn't really cover the hair properly...I mean i made sure to use tons and it still didnt do anything..

So will I repurchase..NO

Going back to nice and Easy

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2013 12:01:00 AM More reviews by robbiephilpott51

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I used Ion Color Brilliance shade 7IR-77.66 (liquid formula) with Ion Sensitive Scalp 30 Volume Developer. I processed for 45 minutes and covered my hair with a plastic cap for maximum lightening and brightening. I am a plain Jane natural level 4N (medium neutral brown.) This didn't lift and deposit as much as I had hoped, I was aiming for a level 7 with as much red as possible. This lifted only one and a half levels and gave me an intense red result that I was satisfied with nonetheless. My hair was virgin and in good condition to begin with for the record. I was going for a edgy, avant garde, punk look and that is what I got. The dye itself looked pure red in the applicator bottle, a little dripped down onto my forehead and stained it the same color so I'm sure that the pigment used in this particular shade was completely red, pretty much a permanent version of Manic Panic. The consistency of this formula wasn't so thin as to drip everywhere but not so thick that it was hard to mix and apply using an applicator bottle. It was stated on the box that this contained less ammonia than other permanent colors but it smelled like it had just as much as Wella Color Charm or Clairol liquicolor permanente however the fragrance used to mask this was much more pleasant than both of the other mentioned brands, kind of fruity. While processing it itched a tad like all permanent colors but it did not burn or cause any kind of allergic reaction. My hair came out feeling just as soft as it did before I colored it and had a lot more shine. It has been a month and a half since I used this (I only do a retouch every other month to maintain the integrity of my hair as much as possible) and it has faded out into a more natural looking orangy red that color looks good also. All in all I would say this is a standard decent performing product but it's saving graces were only the pleasant fruity fragrance, the dye's box design, the developer's bottle design, and the Ion Color Brilliance applicator's design. I know that those things aren't very important to the average consumer but I am a very visual person and these things matter more to me than they matter to other individuals. Bottom line this is as good as anything else Sally Beauty Supply carries but way better than drugstore box color. As always, with professional color you know the exact level and base of the color and you are able to choose the strength of the developer. In a few weeks I think I will use the darker 6IR-66.66 for my retouch, hopefully this will deposit even more red. The higher the level of color the more bleach the formula contains and less actual pigment is included. This was my mistake with the actual formulation, there is nothing wrong with the product itself. I do recommend this product and I will definitely use it again. I give this a 4 out of 5. If this contained less ammonia as stated on the packaging would give it a 5.