August 27, 2014 | 1724 users online

Skincare - Body - NARS - Monoi Body Glow II

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2013 2:15:00 AM More reviews by violetpython4

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Amazing!!!!! Def a pamper yourself splurge item! What sold me on this product was the story behind it! The founder of nars is obsessed with an island in French Polynesia .. He created this beauty by submerging a bud of a tiare flower in pure coconut oil! I'm a nars addict so this is like a collectors item for me. The smell is Devine and for a girl like me who dosent get out much this allows me to escape to a exotic island :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2013 4:53:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I got this as a X-Mas gift I had mentioned it to my fiance' and amazingly he found me a bottle. I have been in love with Monoi products from hair butter to other oils I have really found this product to be a very important part of my beauty routine. This oil has a lighter Tiare scent but is delicious none the less. i use it on my face because it's been getting so dry with this cold weather. It absorbs so well into my skin and takes away all the dryness and peeling that Retin A can cause with the cold. I use this anywhere I have a dry spot and it's fantastic.
I love the flower in the bottle it's a little bit of a pain because if you want to use it on your hair you don't want to pour it. So I dab out a little bit at a time. It makes my hair smell so good and soft.It's a great refresher for the hair as well.
I have been using Monoi in my hair for years now but this oil from NARS is just excellent. It's not as heavy as other products I have used. Also the benefits of coconut oil are well known especially for the hair and skin. This product makes my skin baby soft with no breakouts and I have acne prone skin. I find it to be quite soothing actually.
I highly recommend this because it is an excellent oil. For your face,elbows,hair, even as a perfume or base before a body glow like NARS has is perfect for this. Easy 5 lippie product and a must try because it has so many excellent uses. Will buy again but I have barely made a dent a little goes a long way so it is worth the money because it lasts so long.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2012 7:17:00 PM More reviews by blondebohemian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

After repurchasing my 2nd bottle, it was time to update my review. I've had both kinds - glow and the regular oil. I'd give the glow/bronze oil 3.5 stars and the regular oil 4 stars (although I'm leaning for 5!) the scents are both the same but the glow oil is supposed to leave a bronzey shimmery effect. However I have problems with this because unless you give it adequate drying time it stains everything - furniture, clothes.

First off I don't think the Monoi oil is a must have for anyone. I buy and use my NARS one for the occasional pick me up, whenever I feel the need to pamper and indulge. Because of the price I'm not slathering it on everyday - although I wish I could. It's a truly luxurious product.

Packaging - glass bottle which with oils can be a yikes situation. At the very end of my first bottle I finally managed to drop it from my vanity to a hardwood floor. I was shocked to see that only the top was broken - the bottle and remaining oil were still completely usable. The bottle is quite heavy glass. Note that the product does solidify at a certain temperature (I believe around 72 degrees?) but running it under a faucet of running water will bring it back to runny oil.

I buy this mainly for the scent. It's so luxurious. It smells like the upscale classy version of coconuts. You get that Hawaii coconut smell mixed in with gardenia and flowers and its so sexy and exotic. Next time you are at a NARS counter smell it!

While I've heard of girls using this on their face I personally don't. I use it as a body moisturizer and afterwards I use the excess on my hands to swipe through my hair. Honestly, while the NARS Monoi oil may be lavishly moisturizing so are many products - the Body Shop Monoi Oil, Dr Hauschka rose oil, Kiehl Creme de Corps, etc.

The scent lasts decently well - but I'm not expecting longevity here since its not a perfume. However I still catch whiffs of the Monoi oil after its been on my skin for 6 or so hours.

Overall, you probably don't need this. You can try the Body Shop Monoi Oil which is very much the same thing (minus the beautiful glass bottle) for a fraction of the price. But if you want to indulge and feel lavish, then buy the NARS for those special occasions.

Tip - The Body Shop sells a very very similar monoi oil - in the Spa Polynesian collection. It's about 25 dollars or so and a lovely daily use alternative of the NARS. Try it :)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2012 4:34:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Intensely delicious scent! But very expensive. It's the scent of gardenia mixed w/something else I can't quite pinpoint. Maybe that's the pure scent of monoi oil, but since I noticed that all monoi products have added fragrance to them, it's hard to tell what real monoi (or tiare flower) is supposed to smell like - I was disappointed to find that various monoi products all smell different. For instance, Yves Rocher Monoi de Tahiti smells close to Nars but it has a sharper gardenia scent - something about Nars is different. And other monoi products smell like bright florals such as lilac & hyacinth, strangely enough.

The first monoi I ever smelled was Nars & that's what I fell in love with - all other monoi alternatives have to measure up to it. So far, none surpass the delicate yet sultry fragrance of Nars. The oil is very lightweight, non-greasy, & absorbs into the skin quickly. Very enjoyable to use on skin (have yet to try it in my hair), feels like a rich experience, but unpleasantly expensive....hence my hunt for less costly alternatives....none of which smell exactly like it. I love the little tiare flowers in the bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2012 8:20:00 AM More reviews by Misskatemurphy

I received a delux sample of this a couple of weeks ago and its wonderful. I'm a user of Elemis Moisture Melt but I find that this tends to sit on the skin. The Nars Monoi Body Glow sinks into the skin straight away and doesn't leave it greasy at all. The smell is subtle but every now and again you get a whiff of it and it reminds you of a hot day on the beach. At first its quite warm and woody however when it settles it smells more creamy which I love.

The delux sample that I received is actually a really good size and considering you don't need to use a lot I think it will last me a long time - long enough for me to save up for the full size version!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2012 1:01:00 AM More reviews by NarsGirl808

LOVE this product!!! <3 This is great for all over the body, hair, face, etc... The smell is Beautiful and not overbearing. I recommend this to all my customers ~ Living in HAWAII we know that the Polynesian's have some of the BEST kept Beauty Secrets... Monoi is a product of the Coconut. And coconut is proven to do wonders for the body and skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2011 4:19:00 PM More reviews by taraven87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I cannot recommend this product highly enough; it has done wonders for my skin. A traveling NARS makeup artist was visiting my local counters, and I asked her what her favorite products were; this was one she recommended that I never, ever would have considered purchasing on my own. A $60 body oil? No thanks, I'd used Neutrogena's for years and was plenty happy with it. I can't explain what happened next, but long story short, I walked out of the store with it, curious and with a bit of buyer's remorse.

That didn't last long. This stuff smells like heaven, but the scent fades quickly enough to let me use whichever perfume I prefer. And it makes my skin so incredibly soft without clogging my pores or breaking me out; some body oils break me out on my upper arms, and forget about using them on my face. At the suggestion of the woman who recommended this product to me, I used a tiny bit on my dry facial skin. It did not break me out, and in fact, has been preventing breakouts since I started using it! She said that it has antimicrobial properties, and I'm willing to believe her, since my skin has been amazingly clear since I started using this. I've also used a few drops of it in my hair with excellent results.

Because of the price, I've stopped using it on my entire body. However, it has become an indispensable part of my skincare regimen. I am blessed with great skin, but as I get a little older, it takes more and more to keep it looking its best; it has a tendency to dry out, and I used to get a pimple about once a month or so, and it was always a whopper. I started using this every night under my moisturizer, and it has helped my skin so much! Sometimes I'll fall out of the habit for a few days, and without fail, the first morning I wake up after using it again, I notice how glowing and fresh my skin looks. Using the oil this way, one bottle lasts me more than a year, making this much more affordable. I try to get my backup during Sephora's VIB 20% sale. I've tried The Body Shop's Monoi Oil as a dupe, and it's too thick to use on my face, although it's great on areas that aren't prone to breakouts. The scent is stronger, too, which is great if you like it, not as great if you prefer your own perfumes.

Ok, sorry for the long review, but I love this product! It is seriously underrated. Even if you can't justify spending this kind of money on a bath or body oil (the most common complaint I hear about it), please consider its other applications; if you have dry skin but are concerned about clogging your pores with heavy moisturizers, this may be an HG product. I've tried a bunch of similar products, and this is incomparably gentle and effective.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2011 4:33:00 AM More reviews by blondex199667

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a gorgeous product.
My first experience with monoi was in Hawai'i where I bought the real deal. Nothing but coconut oil, tiare, and a bit of vitamin E which they add as a preservative. Well, I liked it but didn't love it. For one thing, the smell was nice but not awesome. But the real problem is that authentic monoi is solid or mostly solid at room temp.
As many of you know, Francois Nars lives in and is infatuated with Tahiti. He clearly wanted to offer the luxury of monoi in a more useful form. I love that it stays liquid at room temp and that he significantly improved the scent, ramping up the tiare (Tahitian gardenia). Like everyone else I think the price is outrageous and the bottle, while lovely, is impractical and a bit dangerous! A slippery glass bottle in the bathroom?
Truth be told, the Body Shop makes a monoi that is almost identical in scent and quality and comes in a plastic bottle. I've had it and enjoyed the product itself just as much, and for the relative bargain of 25 bucks. But there's just something about that gorgeous, dangerous Nars bottle...! Maybe I should decant the Body Shop monoi in to the Nars bottle LOL! Also, for those complaining that the smell doesn't last, it's not supposed to. It's not a fragrance product, it's a skin treatment that has an amazing smell. And if it lingered too long it might clash with your perfume.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2011 7:17:00 PM More reviews by evalovescake

Beautiful packaging, gorgeous smell and a lasting formula! A little on the expensive side, but just a whiff of this brings my summer memories back on a winter day. Not sticky, not runny or even greasy - I love putting on this oil!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2010 5:32:00 PM More reviews by Affascinante

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My HG light weight oil / moisturizer. Scent is subtle, sweet and sexy. Not greasy at all! I will continue to use this as long as I continue to score deals at TJ MAXX at a great price.

Nars has PERFECTED the formulation in this product making it superior setting apart from all the other posers.

Simply Excellent!