September 30, 2014 | 1723 users online

Eyeliner - Black Opal - Metallic Precision Eye Definer

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2008 11:41:00 AM More reviews by sumansaran

I also found this accidentally while trying to avoid another expensive-eyeliner disaster. I have tried Black Opal's concealer before and used it religiously for a few years, so I was open to trying other products. I was on the lookout for metallic eyeliners and decided it would be worth checkout the usual cheapy drugstore brands that have been reliable (if not perfect) in the past - Jordana, Wet 'n' Wild, Black Opal, NYC, etc. I picked up the Black Jade Metallic Precision eyeliner because I loved the deep, intense color that was not too green. I love dark green liners for my brown eyes and olive skin, but sometimes they are a bit too green and can fade to a not-so-flattering mossy color. This one retained its black quality with the right tint of jade green. I agree that the color could be a little bit more metallic but for the price ($3.15), it was still worth it. It does require some powder/concealor/primer/whatever around the eyes to avoid smudging but stayed put for the most part. It did not immediately run like some of my prior MAC eyeliners, and was easy to remove. I would repurchase, and I'm going to try the other colors as well.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2006 4:44:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

I only spotted these recently at a drugstore, making me think they're new items, but I could be wrong. These pencils are quite slim, which for some reason makes me instantly like them, and inexpensive at around 4-5 USD each (including tax). I have Black Jade (black with a forest green gleam); Metallic Copper (reddish brown); Metallic Bronze (medium brown with a slight goldish sheen). They are not really that metallic; they only have a faint sheen, but I guess it's better than flat color.

Metallic Copper is very similar to some other things I have (like NYC's Waterproof eyeliner in Mink and Revlon High Dimension eyeliner in Bronze Flash). Metallic Bronze is a slightly lighter version of NYC's Waterproof eyeliner in Dark Brown. It shows up as a medium, neutral brown on me, though the faint gold gleam adds a bit of interest. I like Black Jade because it's not quite black-black, but is dark enough for a smoky eye and the green tinge is subtle but makes my dark eyes look browner.

The pigmentation of these is quite good, and the pencils draw very smoothly and have nice, creamy textures that can easily be smudged. They do smear a little and don't have the best lasting power without a primer of some sort. I wish these were more metallic-looking, but otherwise, they're pretty good eyeliners for the price point. continued >>