October 25, 2014 | 1809 users online

Nail Tools - Sally Hansen - 2-In-1 Nail White Pencil

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2014 10:17:00 AM More reviews by Krunce

I really like this product. It's not too tricky to use, but if you don't read the instructions and don't use it correctly, you'll probably hate it.

DON'T USE IT OVER YOUR NAILS! This is basically a white chalky pencil that only leaves traces of pigment when it's wetted. You wet it under the tap, pull the skin under your nail back, and swipe it under your nail, pushing it in. It'll leave a white trace underneath the natural white parts of your nail, making them significantly whiter and brighter.

It does, of course, also get white stuff on your finger. This is super easy to get rid of. Right after you've swiped it under your nail, simply immediately wipe the excess off on a towel. Since it's super water soluble, it'll transfer to the towel just as easily as it transfered to your hand, but onnnly when it's wet.

I usually paint my nails, but am travelling a lot for the next 5 months and 1) really couldn't make choices about what nail polishes to bring and not to bring and 2) really need to give my nails a break. Unfortunately, though I have thick and hard nails, and don't have a super hard time growing them out to medium length, they are more transparent and yellow than I'd like. This does just the trick, and you also don't have to worry about it chipping off like with a manicure.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2013 8:48:00 PM More reviews by monalisa

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used this pencil for years and unfortunately it's getting harder to find in b&m stores. I tend to buy a couple at a time when I can find them. I prefer a natural look and can't remember the last time I've used color polish. Actuall, for the better part of the last decade I've just buffed, shine and used this pencil. I love the look of a short lengthed French mani, but don't really care for the thickness of the white paint- this pencil paired with a pink or buff tint clear polish makes for the perfect version. I don't use is everyday, but when used regularly, it has a staining effect- nail tips stay whiter longer. So, even though the original coat will wash away when you next wash, the stain builds. I've actually repeatedly received compliments on my nails- using nothing but this and a clear coat; I've never had my nail done. If you like nice tidy, healthy (looking) nails, but can't be bothered with a full mani and fussing over your routine- pick this up. I get this pencil, the apricot cuticle cream, and a clear polish - all for under $10 total and people think I get my nails professionally done.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2011 12:13:00 PM More reviews by Robabyluv

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this product dry *under* my nails. I pull back the skin under my nail with my thumb so I don't get much product on my skin. I also sharpen it like a regular pencil so the tip will be longer. I use it to clean under my nails as well. Since I kinda have OCD I use it several times during the day. It lasts me through several hand washings (again, OCD). I don't think it's supposed to make your nails super white, just brighten them. It does seem to have a better effect if you have thin nails, but if you have thick nails like mine your only going to get a brighting effect.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2010 6:39:00 AM More reviews by Caty_23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like this product, which I have been using on and off for a few years now. Whilst the tips of my nails used to be quite naturally white, since polishing my nails regularly, they seem to be a lot more transparent (I'm guessing this may be due to nail polish remover?). I don't leave polish on all of the time, I usually just wear it on a weekend, so on the days when I don't wear it, I was becoming self conscious that my nails looked unhealthy and in bad condition with almost transparent tips. I now use this pencil every night before bed and it has solved this problem, with my nails looking healthy again.

I notice that some of the reviewers below are having trouble getting the whiteness to last on their nails. The best way I have got the effect to last is by applying the pencil under my tips right before bed. I always wash my hands thoroughly, then pat them dry so moisture is left under my nails. Then, making sure the pencil is sharp, I run it underneath my nail tips. The moisture softens the pencil, making it apply easily and leaving plenty of "whiteness" behind. It can look a bit chalky after being first applied and can leave some residue behind on your fingertips, but this is why I apply it right before bed. By morning, the product has "stuck" to my nails well and when I shower any residue is washed away but my tips are still left white. The whiteness increases after several uses.

I have used other brands of nail white pencils and this is the best in terms of staying power and whiteness (some cheaper ones give a yellow tinge). The pencil is called a 2-in-1 as the angled lid of the pencil can be used as a cuticle pusher (though to be honest it is of little use). I will continue to purchase this pencil.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/1/2010 2:13:00 AM More reviews by MissDizzle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Love what the product actually does, makes the tips of my nails look whiter without looking overdone. However, it is a bit messy to apply and it doesn't stay put for very long...and once you wash your hands it completely disappears :(

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2009 4:00:00 PM More reviews by mulhollanddrive

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used this to give my nails a natural french look. It works well, giving my tips a natural ivory look. However it is not waterproof, meaning you will have to reapply. Therefore I only gave it 4 lippies. If this was waterproof, I'd give it 5. Much better and less hassle than trying to do your own french nails traditionally.
Oh please do not bother buying Sallie Hansen's French Manicure Pen - it's White-Out in nail pen format - Beware!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/25/2009 8:08:00 PM More reviews by kakkostiuk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

have had same problem with this not staying on long. Now I use a white eyeliner pencil that's waterproof - works much better!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2009 11:44:00 PM More reviews by Karin1539

I did not find that this product whitened at all. I followed the instructions but found it did nothing. I will not buy again and think I am going to throw away the one I bought. Waste of money.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2009 2:53:00 PM More reviews by noname103

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I would totally love this thing if it didn't just wash off with water. Ugh. It definitely made my nails whiter but seriously, after just getting my hands wet the effect was gone. For now I guess I'll carry it in my purse. No point in purchasing this until they come out with a waterproof version.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/7/2009 5:06:00 PM More reviews by Candice72

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I remember my mom using this (or a very similar) product when I was younger. When I saw it on clearance packaged with vitamin E oil at Wags, I figured why not give it a try. Why not? Well, because it does not work. I wet the pencil and used it on one hand, then compared it to my other hand. ZERO difference. Not to mention, it's messy and it all washes right away. Disappointed, glad I only spent $1.50 or so on this.