December 22, 2014 | 1685 users online

Moisturizers - Kiehl's - Ultra Facial Cream

rated 2 of 5 on 12/11/2014 7:42:00 AM More reviews by Muneequin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I had such high hopes for this cream and I really wanted to like it, but I just didn't. Let me start off by saying that I generally do not have an oily face. I do, however, live in a place that's always hot and humid. And I've never had any skin issues. I also hardly have pimples and stuff like that. I don't use foundation so I usually have to top my powder up once or twice throughout a long day, just on my t-zone area, but this thing made my face 2x more oily and sticky. I like my face smooth and matte after putting on makeup, but having this cream on made that totally impossible. Plus, when I first started using it I had tiny bumps on my cheeks. Not noticeable to anyone except for me, but nevertheless still there. It went off the more I use it though.

As recommended by the lovely man who helped me at the Kiehl's outlet, after washing my face, I use toner, followed by this cream, and then Kiehl's Ultra Light UV Defense SPF 50. I initially thought the product that was making my face so sticky was the sun protector, but it wasn't. It was this. This cream is thick and sticky, comparable to drugstore moisturizers. I also don't like that it comes in a jar because it's not very hygienic. I use a cotton bud just so that my fingers don't come in contact with the whole jar's content.

I wanted to throw this away after like... the first week, but the environmentalist in me would have had a heart attack. So I didn't. I decided to carry on using it anyway, but only on days when I stay home.

I have to say that this cream actually does hydrate and moisturize well, if you don't mind the thickness, stickiness, and added oiliness on your face.

I've gone back to my HG moisturizer (Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel!!), and I think I'll stop experimenting with moisturizers and just stick to that from now on.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/1/2014 1:56:00 PM More reviews by lolapaddy

I live in a hot and humid climate and I don't know other people deal with it. I wish I could return this product because it cost so much. Every time I use it, it just sticks to my skin. It never fully absorbs. I can't tell if my skin gets any softer because it's always so sticky. When I put on foundation, it causes the foundation to clump up in different places. Overall it's a mess. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with oily skin living in hot and humid climates.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2014 11:31:00 AM More reviews by dilllll90

the packaging is poor because a jar always has cross contamination issues. It is quite moisturizing all right but would also break me out from time to time, not serious, just few tiny bumps that is kind of itchy. I guess it is too oily maybe in the ingredient list, I would not buy it again because for half or a third of the price, there are lots of other wonderful products, including cetaphil, eucerin etc.
Another downside is that in humid climate, where I lived now, it is difficult to apply this product evenly and even more difficult to apply sunscreen and foundation immediately after because it does not absorb too well, the oils always stat on top of the surface.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/11/2014 12:29:00 AM More reviews by Jamie2206

Once autumn and winter hits I break open this cream. I've always had issues with dry and flaky skin during the cold seasons but ever since I started using this I've had no problems at all. It's light but packs a lot of moisture and absorbs fast. A little goes a long way, if you do put too much the extra will sit on your face and make you super shiny.

Taking away a lippy because it is pricey and there are some naughty ingredients in there. But nothing has worked so well for me before so I'll be sticking with it.

I do love the ultra line of Kiehl's. I use the ultra overnight face mask as well and while it can be a little sticky it's like pumping water into your face, I highly recommend!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/10/2014 4:20:00 PM More reviews by MelyC

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this moisturizer in the winter in hopes of finding a thick hydrator for my dry skin. As time went on using it on a daily basis, i found that I had a reddish rash-like irritation around my nose and mouth area. It lasted months - i went to a dermatologist and she said it was Perioral Dermatitis which forms around the mouth and nose area. She gave me a medicated cream and thankfully it went away. I had to stop using every product during the medicated process. I remember asking the doctor if a product could've caused this and she said no, it's caused by an overproduction of yeast in the skin. I then searched online and found that the ingredient "isopropyl myristate" can cause this, which was in this Kiehls cream. I since then have stopped using the cream.

This is not to say this will happen to everyone, I have very sensitive skin and i believe everyone has their own unique reactions to different ingredients. But thought i'll share my personal experience in case someone too is having same reaction.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2014 10:52:00 PM More reviews by Cattcattcatt

I love this moisturiser, light but also really hydrating and nourishing. It isn't scented and it doesn't irritate my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2014 7:17:00 AM More reviews by kennyfortaleza

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this as a sample from what I bought at Kiehl’s. And I absolutely love it. It leaves my skin hydrated even if I have a combination oily skin it doesn’t get too oily. I use this also at night and when I wake up it gives me a fresh looking skin in conjunction with other kiehl’s products like Midnight recovery, Line reducing concentrate and clearly corrective dark spot solution. Must Buy!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by solg

I've never had issues with my skin, but after having a baby my hormones were all over the place and my skin felt the consequences. I started using a couple of Weleda products that I think made my skin worse, so I needed something to soothe it and calm the redness, spots and bring it back to normal. I was going to get the Skin Rescuer from Kiehl's but the SA advice me to get this one.
I've been using it for the past two weeks morning and night and my skin is starting to feel normal again. I don't know if it's just this product, because I stopped using everything I was using and simplify my routine to an Avène cleanser and this moisturizer, but I really do feel like it's helping my skin.
For now, I'll keep using it until I feel my skin is on the right track and I bring back the rest of the products I was using. It's a good product to have on hand, since my skin seems to agree with it. If things get crazy again, I know I count on it to make me skin feel right.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/23/2014 3:03:00 PM More reviews by joanneteo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've tried so many moisturiser and this is definitely the best. Love the consistency. It's not too thick nor watery. It absorbs really well but the down side is the bottle being too small. I use one bottle every month, thus making it kinda pricy cause I've gotta replace a new one every month.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2014 12:39:00 PM More reviews by georgiagemma

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

To be honest I'd give this a 3.5 instead of a 3!

I have trouble with oily skin at night and it bothers me having to wake up with a greasy, gross face. I asked the shop assistant about it at the store and she recommended me this cream, which I was doubtful about as I thought it would make my face greasier as I am used to gel based creams, and I felt it would be too heavy if I use it as a night cream. She reassured me by saying it will replenish moisture in my skin and thus make my skin less oily in the morning - so I decided to give it a try!
When I tried it out I was surprised at the consistency - its super moisturising and thicker than a gel cream, but still lightweight and spreads easily. The first night I used it I was impressed at how it made my skin lovely and soft, but then I realised that it worked better only for the drier patches, which are my cheeks and chin, but in my t zone it would still get slightly oily. Even so, I can definitely say it minimised the oiliness in those areas, it just didn't manage to control it well enough. I wasn't totally disappointed though, as this is probably meant more for drier skin types.
The thing is I live in a humid country and when applied in room temperature it feels like it wouldn't absorb into my skin especially in the t zone, like it was just sitting on top of my skin, and I guess I could say it felt abit too heavy. I realised I needed to apply it in air-conditioning for it to absorb better and I definitely only need a small amount. Now when I wake up in the morning after using this I only have problems with oiliness in my t zone, but in the other areas it feels wonderful and super soft.
I give this a 3 because it didn't suit my skin type terribly well but I highly recommend it to people with normal to dry skin as it works wonderfully for those skin types! The price also isn't that great but I feel that it does what it says and is worth the money!