July 28, 2014 | 2054 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Nice n Easy - Gray Solution

rated 1 of 5 on 2/2/2014 3:48:00 PM More reviews by ashirsch

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been dying my once-red, very thick and coarse hair for about fifteen years and as time has passed, my gray has become increasingly more dye-resistant. The best match to my natural color used to by L'Oreal Colour Riche in Ginger, but doesn't work anymore. The Gray Solution color selection is dreary, but in an act of desperation I chose light-golden brown, the closest option to my natural color. I tried it last week, and am writing this review with another dye in my hair (Vidal Sassoon light auburn, with an additive that claims to help the dye penetrate -- let you know how it turns out.) The Grey Solution did not cover my roots AT ALL, and where the dye worked, my hair turned a dull, mud brown. Terrible product.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2013 11:13:00 AM More reviews by MamaChoobie

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Love the pre-treatment serum; it really allowed the color to be absorbed around my hairline and roots. The color product is extremely hard to get out of the tube, which is so annoying! The color (Light Golden Brown) stayed true for many weeks, which is a far better experience than I've had with L'Oreal Excellence. Love the glossing conditioner: I use it every day in the shower!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/22/2011 3:16:00 PM More reviews by sophialuvz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

So disappointed with this product felt it necesary to warn other women. Followed instructions. Am a frequent hair color consumer as became predominantly gray in my twenties; it is genetic. I have never lost hair color so fast as with this product which is specifically geared for my niche of gray haired women! Less than two weeks and two color safe shampoos later, with the enclosed post shampoo conditioner, I am ugly-predominantly gray again. I really wish I had something positive to say about the product. It is your run of the mill home hair color with much less than desirable results!! Will return to my Feria and Garnier products which are not for predominantly gray hair but do a fantastic job for me and last 70% longer than this Clairol product. As a matter of fact, I think I will contact Clairol, and I have never done anything like this, i.e., written a negative review, nor called the manufacturer of a product am disappointed with. First time for everything. LADIES: PLEASE SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GET A BETTER DRUGSTORE BRAND OF HAIRCOLOR if you are like me and cannot afford the hair salon (with my budget right now)for hair coloring.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/26/2011 9:51:00 PM More reviews by mighttango

I have dark brown hair. Semi Permanent Nstural Instincts in Nutmeg wasn't working for me. My grays are all around my facial hairline. Tried Medium Gray (since other reviews said how dark the colors were). Gray pre-treatment was ok. Product was easy to get out of tube & mix. Looked pretty good for the first week. However, I have noticed color fading. I might try next shade darker next time.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/9/2010 9:26:00 AM More reviews by doctorsirena

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried this product in color 6G Light Golden Brown, close to my natural color. I have some greys at the roots, but not that many (maybe 5-10%). There was definitely not enough of the pre-treatment grey texturizing packet to cover my shoulder-length hair and it was a pain to distribute throughout my hair. I did like the thicker consistency of the coloring product during application. I left it on for about 35 min, longer than recommended, to make sure the greys were colored.

The color came out very dark and I would consider it a dark brown, nowhere near a light golden brown color. My hair stayed that dark color for about 1-2 weeks then began to completely wash out. And I mean wash out, not just fade away. After it washed out, it seemed like my hair was even more grey than prior to coloring. By 4 weeks, it appeared that I had not even colored my hair at all. This is an unacceptable result for a permanent hair color. The conditioner that it came with was excellent. In summary, I do not recommend the Nice & Easy hair color at all. I have had pretty good results with ColorSilk, so I will go back to that.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/8/2010 10:07:00 AM More reviews by calanthe

At first this was great; the gray "treatment" before coloring really softened my short wiry grays. The light brown shade was a perfect match for my natural color, and it didn't leave my hair feeling damaged. Great conditioner, too. However, my roots really pulled out the red, and after only two washes, my grays were poking out again, did not hold color, and my overall color was noticeably lighter even with infrequent washing and no sulfate shampoo. I will be switching to semi-perm hair color for my grays from now on, because it's less damaging and I can get a darker glossier look for the grays.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/3/2009 11:39:00 PM More reviews by jzpeterson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

My natural color is brownish-black-- it's maybe 40% white on the sides, and 10% white on the top and in the back. Even before it started turning white, it was almost un-dyeable.

With that in mind, I chose this product because it claimed to have extra gray-covering powers. It hasn't really delivered; it doesn't seem any different than any other dye I've tried. I colored my hair a week ago, and it has already begun to wash out. At this rate, it will have washed out well before I develop any kind of visible roots.

I tried to investigate what the "pre-treatment" is, or what it's supposed to do, and didn't have much luck. The info on the box and on their site was vague, and just said something about softening the gray hairs. The pre-treatment stuff is weirdly gooey, almost gelatinous. The actual color part is pretty unexceptional; it goes on just like any other box haircolor.

This probably works just fine for most people, but it's no match for my super-slippery resistant hair.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2009 9:45:00 PM More reviews by kassandraamelaniiee

Well, i used this on my grandma, since her birthday was coming up soon, and she likes her pretty hair. =)

Her hair is shorta short, so it took up only half the bottle to dye her whole head, which means that i could use the rest for my hair... which sounded like a good thing at first.

The color we used was Black. It did come out black... sorta. My grandma's gray looks... blue-ish... =S

And for me, it took 5 + shampoos to take the dye out of my hair. When i rinse it with water, no more would come out, but as soon as soap got near it, the water was blue/gray again... !! I gave up after i lost count of how many times i shampooed my hair. I then used the conditioner thing that it came with.

Now i just hope that the dye doesnt come off onto my clothes... !

Oh, and the cream is hard to get out of the tube..>< continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 5/12/2009 9:07:00 PM More reviews by misshcas

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I use this to dye my boyfriend's hair. He is 25 and has been getting grays for a few years :(
We use the dark brown which turns out darker than his natural color but he likes it. Also, the conditioner that comes with this is lovely. I steal it from him, haha.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2009 10:01:00 AM More reviews by JudgeJudy41

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

To begin, I'm about 50% gray with medium length hair. I started using this about 4 months ago and really like it. I use the Light Golden Brown 6G solution . My hair is a medium brown, but found the medium brown was waaay to dark. I leave on for about 35 minutes and rinse for about 10-15 minutes to assure the pre-treatment gel is out. I took off 1 lippie due to the pre-treatment gel burns alittle. However, I find most haircolors irritate some.

My hair isn't that long, but it takes two boxes to color it all : (
With the Clairol Colorsilk it only took one box : ) Unfortunately, Colorsilk's formula lasts about 4-5 weeks and I get thru 6-7 weeks on the Gray Solution. The Color Seal Conditioning Gloss ( included ) is the reason my color stays in longer. Walmart sells the gloss alone. I don't think there are any perfect home coloring or salon coloring kits around.