Maybelline Maybelline Expert Wear Eyes Eyeshadow in Silken Taupe

on 6/24/2015 6:59:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

This is a very light frosted taupe shade. I gave it 4 out of 5 lippies because it's pretty sheer...but it's a pretty color and would look great over the right base. Perhaps Maybelline's Color Tattoo in 'Tough as Taupe' or a shimmery brown base.

I don't wear taupes a whole lot as I'm more of a color-gal. I mainly bought this shade to add to my small collection of neutral shades to wear for interviews and office jobs and the rare moments I'm in a 'neutral' mood. :)

If you love taupes, this is a good one to add to your collection.

on 3/27/2014 12:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'm not sure if I'd buy again or not. Maybe. I wish the shade was more pigmented, but it is nice. It is a light taupe that is close to skin toned with a silvery/lilac tone to it. Very neutral. It's great for a no make-up look. I use applicator include to apply. I feel that works better than a brush. I have deep set eyes with a heavy lid so I do wish shade was a tad richer so I didn't have to layer it on as much. There are similar shades by better brands like Bare Minerals. I believe that I could find one of theirs that is more pigmented like say "bare skin" or "nude beach" tho they may be more shimmery. But overall it is a pretty pale taupe for light make up days.

on 2/20/2013 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I absolutely love this color. I was looking for a light taupe shade I could wear on my lids, and this is it. This shade is a very cool, silvery taupe with slight shimmer, but is probably neutral enough to be universally flattering. I find this to be a good lid color; it is very natural looking.

I have not had any problems pigmentation or lasting power, but I apply this with the sponge applicator included with the eyeshadow, instead of a brush. The sponge applicator seems to pack the color on the lid, giving the eyeshadow a richer pigmentation. At least that's how I think it works, because I have no complaints concerning the quality or longevity.

on 2/13/2013 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have used this eyeshadow every day for months now. This is my go to base! I have green eyes and I feel like this compliments them so well. I can either use it alone or as a base to build up for a smoky eye. It works with emerald greens, purples, and browns as long as there is a golden shimmer to all the shades. I usually use warmer tones with shimmer for a softened daytime smoky look.

This is the exact color match to a shade that I bought at Sephora in one of their eyeshadow quads that I fell in love with. I couldn't bring myself to spend $8 on one color at Sephora but I found this shade at Target for $3 which is a steal considering I use it everyday. I do get fall out but it's not a problem for me. I just use a clean powder brush and sweep away any flecks on my cheeks.

on 4/15/2012 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this in the new black packaging. Mine is labeled "Silken Taupe 180S". Although this one isn't quite as pigmented as the others, it adds a dark shimmer to any eye. I like the way it looks alone or over shadows.

on 3/17/2012 12:08:00 PM

This is just meh. I really like the color in the pan, but the texture is just awful. I almost have to scrape it to get any color, and it requires lots of patting like other reviewers stated to get anything to show, and then I get fall out. The color is ok, but CG Tapestry Taupe looks better on me, and is better quality, IMO.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I have to say this is probably one of my favorite eyeshadows esp from Maybelline. I have since purchased the newer taupe shadow that theyve repackaged which is a touch darker than this one but i still love my Silken Taupe.
=PRICE/AVAILABILITY=
The Maybelline ExpertWear single eyeshadows can be found in most drugstores like CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens as well as mass stores like Walmart & Target. They cost around $3-4. This will vary depending on sales, discounts as well as where you purchase them & your location.
=SHADE/FORMULA/PERFORMANCE=
The Maybelline ExpertWear shadows are actually getting better. I own alot of them. Silken Taupe is an older shade but still a fav. Silken Taupe has been compared to Macs Satin Taupe for a fraction of the cost. Its a tiny bit lighter than Satin Taupe but any taupe is a must for me. Taupes are universally flattering. All skin tones can pull them off. Silken Taupe is a silver gray w/ purple cool undertones. There isnt a brown undertone like some taupes. This is a cool medium taupe. This is a soft, pigmented, smooth shadow. It applies easily, blends smooth. These shadows will wear for around 5 hrs or so before fading or creasing but of course, id suggest Priming your eyes & maybe even using a cream base. If i use a primer, this shadow will stay put for more than 8 hrs without fading or creasing. Oily lids should def prime your eyes. I think the pigmentation, formula & longevity is great on such an affordable shadow. I think if you dont have money to get the HE taupe shadows, try this first. I love Silken Taupe. Its a great color for all over the lid, even darkened in the crease. Its a stand alone shadow. This is great for smoky or even day time looks. This is just a gorgeous, beautiful shadow!!! I am glad they added this, i know they have a new taupe since they have reformulated & repackaged their shadows, its called Tastefully Taupe i think which is also nice, if you cant find this since i think they replaced it with the Tastefully taupe. Also, Its similar to the taupe included in the Natural Smokes quad.
=PACKAGING=
The Maybelline ExpertWear single shadows come in the standard Maybelline packaging which is a hard plastic rectangular compact. The lid snaps shut/open. The backing is a black glossy color w/ a sticker w/ all the labeling/info/shade name. The lid is see thru w/ maybelline logo & a sticker that connects to back w/ shade name & number. Inside- there is a rectangular pan of shadow which is a decent amount of product. to be exact 2.6 grams or 0.09oz of shadow which is alot!! There is also a slot/area where they have included a foam tip applicator which i dont use but some people enjoy them & they do work in a pinch. The packaging isnt the best but not the worst. It keeps the shadows safe, i just care about the shadow inside & if its safe. I may depot my maybelline shadows someday but otherwise, it works.
Overall, I love love love Silken Taupe. I am sad they have replaced it with Tastefully Taupe, they are both pretty & i think must haves but im glad i got to try them both. I def suggests trying the single shadows since they are pretty great. (i know WNW shadow really raised the bar for drugstore companies but i know that its possible) but Silken Taupe or Tastefully Taupe is def a shadow to own!

on 1/9/2012 3:08:00 AM

There was a pretty substantial period of time where I wore this color literally every day, until I discovered the Shimmering Sands trio from Covergirl and made the switch to that (this is like a crappier version of the middle color). It's a great neutral color-- close enough to my skin tone to be appropriate for work/class/Grandma's house/whatever, yet shimmery enough to add a little BAM to my face. The drawback is that it's just not a very good quality eyeshadow. The texture is dry, and the color payoff isn't very impressive. You have to put on a little more to get the desired effect. I still use it every now and then, really only because I don't like to waste things. It's not a terrible product or anything, but when I run out I don't plan to repurchase.

on 11/24/2011 1:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is the only eye shadow that I actually use the included sponge applicator. The times I used my shadow brush, I spent quite a while trying to build up color.

That said, I really like this color. On me, it's a flattering neutral, a bit subtler than CG's Tapestry Taupe (which I also quite like). It also wears well for me, without noticeable creasing (I use a primer). I'm now at 12 plus hours, and I've put eye drops in, and the color is still there.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I got this for 2.59$ at walgreens, because they are having a 40% off sale. The color is shimmery. It creases quickly without primer but it wears great with primer. Its subtle enough to wear all over your lid, and it looks great paired with the tranquil sands eyeshadow single by maybelline too