Maybelline Maybelline Expert Wear Eyes Eyeshadow in Silken Taupe

on 7/21/2015 4:54:00 AM

This is such an easy everyday eyeshadow for me because it's subtle but has enough shimmer to add 'dimension' - the cheat's way of looking like I've made more effort. It's completely foolproof as a crease or lid shade and lasts all day too. I gave it 4 out 5 lippies because it's not as buttery or pigmented as some other drugstore brands but other than that it's a favorite.

on 6/24/2015 6:59:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

This is a very light frosted taupe shade. I gave it 4 out of 5 lippies because it's pretty sheer...but it's a pretty color and would look great over the right base. Perhaps Maybelline's Color Tattoo in 'Tough as Taupe' or a shimmery brown base.

I don't wear taupes a whole lot as I'm more of a color-gal. I mainly bought this shade to add to my small collection of neutral shades to wear for interviews and office jobs and the rare moments I'm in a 'neutral' mood. :)

If you love taupes, this is a good one to add to your collection.

on 3/27/2014 12:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'm not sure if I'd buy again or not. Maybe. I wish the shade was more pigmented, but it is nice. It is a light taupe that is close to skin toned with a silvery/lilac tone to it. Very neutral. It's great for a no make-up look. I use applicator include to apply. I feel that works better than a brush. I have deep set eyes with a heavy lid so I do wish shade was a tad richer so I didn't have to layer it on as much. There are similar shades by better brands like Bare Minerals. I believe that I could find one of theirs that is more pigmented like say "bare skin" or "nude beach" tho they may be more shimmery. But overall it is a pretty pale taupe for light make up days.

on 2/20/2013 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I absolutely love this color. I was looking for a light taupe shade I could wear on my lids, and this is it. This shade is a very cool, silvery taupe with slight shimmer, but is probably neutral enough to be universally flattering. I find this to be a good lid color; it is very natural looking.

I have not had any problems pigmentation or lasting power, but I apply this with the sponge applicator included with the eyeshadow, instead of a brush. The sponge applicator seems to pack the color on the lid, giving the eyeshadow a richer pigmentation. At least that's how I think it works, because I have no complaints concerning the quality or longevity.

on 2/13/2013 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have used this eyeshadow every day for months now. This is my go to base! I have green eyes and I feel like this compliments them so well. I can either use it alone or as a base to build up for a smoky eye. It works with emerald greens, purples, and browns as long as there is a golden shimmer to all the shades. I usually use warmer tones with shimmer for a softened daytime smoky look.

This is the exact color match to a shade that I bought at Sephora in one of their eyeshadow quads that I fell in love with. I couldn't bring myself to spend $8 on one color at Sephora but I found this shade at Target for $3 which is a steal considering I use it everyday. I do get fall out but it's not a problem for me. I just use a clean powder brush and sweep away any flecks on my cheeks.

on 4/15/2012 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this in the new black packaging. Mine is labeled "Silken Taupe 180S". Although this one isn't quite as pigmented as the others, it adds a dark shimmer to any eye. I like the way it looks alone or over shadows.

on 3/17/2012 12:08:00 PM

This is just meh. I really like the color in the pan, but the texture is just awful. I almost have to scrape it to get any color, and it requires lots of patting like other reviewers stated to get anything to show, and then I get fall out. The color is ok, but CG Tapestry Taupe looks better on me, and is better quality, IMO.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I have to say this is probably one of my favorite eyeshadows esp from Maybelline. I have since purchased the newer taupe shadow that theyve repackaged which is a touch darker than this one but i still love my Silken Taupe.
=PRICE/AVAILABILITY=
The Maybelline ExpertWear single eyeshadows can be found in most drugstores like CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens as well as mass stores like Walmart & Target. They cost around $3-4. This will vary depending on sales, discounts as well as where you purchase them & your location.
=SHADE/FORMULA/PERFORMANCE=
The Maybelline ExpertWear shadows are actually getting better. I own alot of them. Silken Taupe is an older shade but still a fav. Silken Taupe has been compared to Macs Satin Taupe for a fraction of the cost. Its a tiny bit lighter than Satin Taupe but any taupe is a must for me. Taupes are universally flattering. All skin tones can pull them off. Silken Taupe is a silver gray w/ purple cool undertones. There isnt a brown undertone like some taupes. This is a cool medium taupe. This is a soft, pigmented, smooth shadow. It applies easily, blends smooth. These shadows will wear for around 5 hrs or so before fading or creasing but of course, id suggest Priming your eyes & maybe even using a cream base. If i use a primer, this shadow will stay put for more than 8 hrs without fading or creasing. Oily lids should def prime your eyes. I think the pigmentation, formula & longevity is great on such an affordable shadow. I think if you dont have money to get the HE taupe shadows, try this first. I love Silken Taupe. Its a great color for all over the lid, even darkened in the crease. Its a stand alone shadow. This is great for smoky or even day time looks. This is just a gorgeous, beautiful shadow!!! I am glad they added this, i know they have a new taupe since they have reformulated & repackaged their shadows, its called Tastefully Taupe i think which is also nice, if you cant find this since i think they replaced it with the Tastefully taupe. Also, Its similar to the taupe included in the Natural Smokes quad.
=PACKAGING=
The Maybelline ExpertWear single shadows come in the standard Maybelline packaging which is a hard plastic rectangular compact. The lid snaps shut/open. The backing is a black glossy color w/ a sticker w/ all the labeling/info/shade name. The lid is see thru w/ maybelline logo & a sticker that connects to back w/ shade name & number. Inside- there is a rectangular pan of shadow which is a decent amount of product. to be exact 2.6 grams or 0.09oz of shadow which is alot!! There is also a slot/area where they have included a foam tip applicator which i dont use but some people enjoy them & they do work in a pinch. The packaging isnt the best but not the worst. It keeps the shadows safe, i just care about the shadow inside & if its safe. I may depot my maybelline shadows someday but otherwise, it works.
Overall, I love love love Silken Taupe. I am sad they have replaced it with Tastefully Taupe, they are both pretty & i think must haves but im glad i got to try them both. I def suggests trying the single shadows since they are pretty great. (i know WNW shadow really raised the bar for drugstore companies but i know that its possible) but Silken Taupe or Tastefully Taupe is def a shadow to own!

on 1/9/2012 3:08:00 AM

There was a pretty substantial period of time where I wore this color literally every day, until I discovered the Shimmering Sands trio from Covergirl and made the switch to that (this is like a crappier version of the middle color). It's a great neutral color-- close enough to my skin tone to be appropriate for work/class/Grandma's house/whatever, yet shimmery enough to add a little BAM to my face. The drawback is that it's just not a very good quality eyeshadow. The texture is dry, and the color payoff isn't very impressive. You have to put on a little more to get the desired effect. I still use it every now and then, really only because I don't like to waste things. It's not a terrible product or anything, but when I run out I don't plan to repurchase.

on 11/24/2011 1:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is the only eye shadow that I actually use the included sponge applicator. The times I used my shadow brush, I spent quite a while trying to build up color.

That said, I really like this color. On me, it's a flattering neutral, a bit subtler than CG's Tapestry Taupe (which I also quite like). It also wears well for me, without noticeable creasing (I use a primer). I'm now at 12 plus hours, and I've put eye drops in, and the color is still there.