July 25, 2014 | 1748 users online

Styling Products - Garnier - Wet Shine Gel

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2013 12:35:00 AM More reviews by missmanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This just went in the garbage after holding on to it for far too long hoping it would magically work for my hair. Dries my hair out like crazy and makes it very unmanagable. I don't know if my tube went bad, but it also smells AWFUL.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2011 7:52:00 AM More reviews by katemvirginia

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

You have to use too much gel for the kind of hold & it is not a wet gel look as well. It does tame frizz well though. This might work for someone with shorter hair than myself. very sticky!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/24/2010 4:16:00 PM More reviews by lonetabby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This did nothing to give my hair a wet look, I was very disappointed. The "extra strong hold" didn't hold very well at all. Gel is too sticky and the packaging leaks.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2009 4:01:00 AM More reviews by subhuman85

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was pleasantly suprised by this gel. I bought it to experiment with slicking my hair back and maintaining a "wet look" without resorting to pomade, but I actually like it even more, and use it more frequently, as a style-setting product to be brushed out once it dries. I air-dry my hair every other day or so, usually when I don't want to be bothered (or don't have time) to blow-dry, and I need a product that will keep my hair's natural volume and frizz in check once it's dry. When my hair is towel-dried I apply a bit of Infusium's Frizzologie leave-in, then apply this gel all over the hair, roots and ends, and brush it through. I slick my hair back, let it dry completely, and then use my hands to "brush" the style out and let the hair fall into place. I'm left with a natural-looking style that has an interesting, piecey, almost-damp texture. This gel would be ideal for achieving those sexy, summery beach waves that you see on red carpet starlets from April to mid-fall every year. It doesn't leave my hair sticky at all, a notable achievement for a gel, and it doesn't dry "crunchy" - just slightly stiff, as all gels will do. It has a flexible hold that maintains the hair's shape but allows for lots of movement, and it doesn't dry the hair out. I swore off gels for years, loathing their stickiness, drying effect, and schizophrenic nature - are they about hold, or looseness? Curl-enhancing or smoothing? But this gel may have turned me around. I'm not giving up my mousses or blow-dry lotions just yet, but Wet Shine is a definite repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2009 8:50:00 PM More reviews by diggity

I like this gel a lot. It's inexpensive and has nice hold (but not too much). I'm confused by previous reviews because I don't see alcohol listed in the ingredients (unless there's an alcohol ingredient with a sneaky name). I posted ingredients below. I like the smell of this gel (consistent with other Garnier products) and have not noticed any dryness or flakiness, like I get with some gels. Nice product, worth a try.

Aqua/Water, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, PVP, PEG 14 Dimethicone, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, VP/VA Copolymer, Acrylates/Steareth 20, Methacrylate Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Polyquaternium 4, Triethanolamine, Parfum/Fragrance, Polyethylene Glycol, Sodium Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Polyquaternium 11, Linalool, Limonene, Amyl Cinnamal, PEG 192 Apricot Kernel Glycerides, PEG 70 Mango Glycerides, Citral, Citrus Limonum (Lemon Extract), FIL

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2009 4:15:00 PM More reviews by Product_Junkie

I agree with boyextraodinaire's review. I bought this gel thinking it would work well, even though it is not alcohol free, I thought the shine factor, along with some of the fruit extracts would make up for it. The only good thing that I found about this gel was that it smelled wonderful and was not overly sticky. The bad things about this product were that it made my hair crunchy, dried out, did not provide shine and did not hold my style the way i wanted it to. Thus, I ended up returning this gel;there are much better ones out there that do not contain alcohol.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2009 2:56:00 AM More reviews by chocolategurl101

This product smells great and holds your hair like hairspary.But it doesn't leave your hair to a major shine unless you apply it on wet or damp hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2009 12:30:00 AM More reviews by itslyndz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

Smells great. Does what its supposed to do. Cheap, around $4. Ill buy it again.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/18/2008 12:45:00 PM More reviews by boyextraordinare

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this product due to its high review by Paula B., whose commentary on items is, in my estimation, fairly accurate.

I don't like this gel because it there are so many more out there that deliver equally well, proving shine, containing no alcohol, while costing half the price.

LA Looks' Wet Look gel, for example, does the same thing as this product, but provides a stronger hold and cost considerably less for 3x the amount of gel.

This is by no means a terrible product but there are better options available that deliver the same - or better - results for less $.

The package quality is fine, but I don't like the look - entirely subjective - so I'll give it the average rating it deserves for the league its in.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2008 5:11:00 PM More reviews by ABC9

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This product has gotten amazing reviews and, with this mine, the streak continues. I don't have frizzy hair, but I did have extremely dull hair. I comb it through my hair while a little damp (just so the gel doesn't clump up in one area = easier to spread) and then muss it up a little so it doesn't look like Snape's slick, greasy hairdo. There's a nice healthy-looking shine to my hair now and because some strands receive the gel (darker) while others don't (lighter), there's a 2-tone color that's very pretty. Repurchase!

Edit: After a couple uses, the effect kind of went away for me. It's just hanging out in my bathroom now, not really being used. And if you use just a little but too much, your hair will clump up and crunch x__X it's kind of gross. Instead, whenever I want to use it, I wet my hands, THEN squirt some gel onto them so it can dilute itself before going on my hair.