September 17, 2014 | 1266 users online

Powder - Shu Uemura - Velvet Perfect Lasting Powder Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2013 12:09:00 PM More reviews by lollsazz

UPDATE:
giving this one more lippie as my very sensitive skin absolutely doesn't react to this, and it's good as a setting powder. Would I recommend buying? No, not if you don't have very sensitive skin and need only very light coverage - there are many better things out now. One of them are the Kanebo Sensei Powders, which are also very good for sensitive, dry skin, but have much better coverage, longevity and look much better on the skin.
END OF UPDATE
I bought this because the few reviews here were so good. I'm not sure if 2 years ago powder foundations were generally so bad or that my application doesn't suit this.
I got this in 774, which is a light neutral-yellow colour. I would like it to be even more yellow for my very yellow skin, but I think lot of Shu Uemura's makeup is getting discontinued since he died :( The colour would suit a slightly neutral NC15. I haven't got much to complain about when it comes to the colour though.
My problem is mainly the coverage, how the powder looks on and the lasting power.
The coverage is sheer-light and only blurs out imperfections without much coverage at all. I have a couple of darker pigmented areas (after a recent breakout) I would like to hide and this doesn't really do it.
The way the powder looks on is also not optimal: it's not quite even, can separate a little and look a bit powdery, which gives the impression of bumpy skin. It looks less bumpy if you use a sponge to apply, and more if you apply this with a brush, but the rest of the problems still remain.
About lasting power: this slides around a little bit and creases around my nose and in the laugh lines I don't have. I'm not sure you could fixate this with a spray, you MAY be able to, but this is very non-water-proof and I'm afraid it may come off if you spray it with anything.
My face tends to look a bit flat with this powder on. And other powder products don't apply well over - they don't stick properly, fade quite fast and apply blotchy :(
There are still some good things though:
- the colours are very good
- this powder doesn't oxidize AT ALL
- I have dry sensitive skin that gets oily through the day with other powders, but THIS powder balances my skin very well - there is even no shine on my t-zone at the end of the day. My skin reacts to many things, but not this - my sensitive skin really likes this powder and looks soothed when I take this off at the end of the day :)
- this powder has SPF
- although it doesn't look optimal on me on its own, it looks very well layered OVER other powder foundations (yea, I sometimes do that when the colour of the powder isn't quite as I want it to be) and looks very natural, and not caky, over fluid foundations
I don't think I will buy this again - I need something that looks a little more natural on me on and preferably has a little more coverage, but for those that have VERY sensitive skin this may be one of the rare things that work because this has no irritating ingredients. But, as said, you need to want only sheer coverage.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2010 8:42:00 PM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I wore this over the Face Architect. The powder totally finishes and complements the Face Architect by making the appearance of the face seamless and perfect. It is also sweatproof which in hot/humid weather makes this a must have for anyone.

I love this combination and will use it everyday. My Cle de Peau Satine will be used for night time only!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2008 10:06:00 PM More reviews by kikay_carrie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a great powder that keeps you looking "finished" but natural.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2008 12:06:00 PM More reviews by chia021

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Great product overall

Provides a sheer coverage and is relatively sweatproof. Still get oily in the middle of the day but is tolerable (unlike all other foundations. I hate clarins the most - you look like a carrot in oily stew). The powders are finely milled and provides sheer coverage but enough for breathing power.

Agree that it's a bit hard to find your right color since I come close to 774 and 974. After much debate, I went for the whiter one coz the powders do oxidise over time, and may end up looking more orange/pink/red towards the end of the day. Never tried using this powder wet... The sponge will crumble.

The sponge is a nightmare... just buy manicare ones instead.
And shu uemura should bloody start selling the powders together with a brand new compact.

I'm guilty of stocking up on this powder coz I quite like it. I have 2 on standby...

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2007 11:12:00 AM More reviews by ilovelomos

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Talc, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, titanium dioxide, silica, zinc oxide, alumina, dimethicone, synthetic fluorphlogopite, caprylic/capric triglyceride, aluminum hydroxide, C9-15 fluoroalcohol phosphates, glyceryl ethylhexanoate/stearate/adipate, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, acrylates/dimethicone copolymer, methicone, cerium oxide, disodium stearoyl glutamate, helianthus annuus/sunflower seed oil, paraffinum liquidum/black currant seed oil, tocopheryl acetate, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, ethylparaben, butylparaben, isobutylparaben, propylparaben [+/- may contain: mica, CI 77891/titanium dioxide, CI 77491, CI 77492/iron oxide, CI 77007/ultramarines, CI 77288/chromium oxide greens] Code F.I.L. :B 0611/2.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2007 2:30:00 PM More reviews by Daniela1977

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love SHU UEMURA
And ones again my new product!!!
Fantastic Foundation-powder. Great cover. No spots. I just love this brand!!!
UPDATE / This clog my pores SHAME!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2006 8:37:00 AM More reviews by julienrei

The best powder foundation I have used. This beats my Chanel, Jane Iredale, Shiseido Fitit, and Kanebo Freshel White C powder foundations. The powder is finely milled, very soft and smooth, and comes in a refillable white rectangular compact with a huge mirror (like most Shu products, packaging is very understated; however, in this case, the compact looks elegant in a subtle way). In the summer, I use 774, which is just right, but in winter I become too pale even for this shade. **sobs** When I applied the foundation with the sponge provided, it went on very thickly and made me look like a geisha. Subsequently, I used my JI Handi Brush and the color is less piled on and hence more natural. This makes me look fair and glowing, and not cakey at all.

Staying power is quite good, about 8 hours in heat/humidity (think HK summer) without touchups (although by the end of the day, if I use a finger to touch my face, it comes away with makeup). Coverage is light - medium; it is not as good as my Kanebo Freshel White C powder foundation's coverage, but I'll deal with it and use a bit of concealer on obvious areas. The price is steep, as with all Shu products, but this makes my skin look so naturally good that I will pay for it. I am using the summer version, where the SPF has been bumped up to 25.