October 20, 2014 | 2060 users online

Moisturizers - La Mer - Creme de la mer moisturizer

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 10/9/2014 3:56:00 PM More reviews by organicsliving694

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Terrible broke my whole forehead out.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/9/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by aenflex

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am not a chemist or dermatologist, I'll freely admit I don't know a great deal about this sort of thing.
I was 'lucky' enough to be given a sample of this at the counter. It's not something I would ever desire to purchase, (the price is ludicrous), but I asked and was given a teeny little jar.
Here's what I do know: Mineral oil is an occlusive petroleum derivative. It absolutely does not penetrate the dermis. Rather, it sits on top of the skin, creating a barrier. Mineral oil is high in concentration in this creme. I suppose in a brutal, windy, dry winter this product may be ideal for protecting the skin, but not without real moisturization first. Honestly, I don't know that any of the 'good' ingredients in the product can even get to the skin through the mineral oil barrier?

It did nothing for me. At least not on my face. It sat on top of my skin and seemed to offer no benefits that I could discern. Smells wonderful to me, but that was it. I actually ended up using it as lip balm/dry patch balm. My skin prefers real moisturizers, like roséhip seed oil, argan oil, coconut oil, etc. For antioxidants and peptides - essential oils like carrot seed, clove, German chamomile, etc can be added to carrier oils or butters.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/22/2014 10:28:00 AM More reviews by sbender

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I had this cream six years ago. It was a purchase based on "great" reviews. Unfortunately, this cream was anything but excellent -- too thick for my combination skin, scented, bad packaging, and of course overpriced. The consistency is like the blue Nivea cream -- very thick. Plus, it didn't help my skin at all -- it made it worse with clogged pores, and pimples. I stopped using it and instead used it for my my dry hands and feet. What a waste of money! Now the price is 20% higher than six years ago when I bought it. Do yourself a favor, and try it first before you purchase it. You can find samples at eBay, or just go to the La Mer counter if you have a chance. Overall, skip this overrated and overpriced product!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/19/2014 4:04:00 PM More reviews by Umayuo

Packaging love it , always nice ribbons and boxes samples always come in nice glass bottles or tubes. Price , pricey but aren't all good ski cares pricey. I bought it because I want hydration. I don't have major problems with my skin, apart from some hormonal acne occasionally. But my face can get fairly dry in winter. The result is ok, but I don't notice miracle plumpness or shine or erase of any acne scars or aging to be honest. I went through two bottles last winter just so that I can see if it actually can hydrate my skin better. No it doesn't, it hydrates me as much as lancomes hydra zen or langeines creams. It leaves a filmy sensation I dislike . So I won't buy it again this winter. Just to be lazy here, Tried samples of the eye creme and the body creme both I think are not hydrating enough. You are better off using natura or la prairie . The only thing I like out of the whole range is the lip balm because it taste sweet and really moisturing and leaves a minty smell! Have already gone through three pots of them, they kept my lips nicely hydrated and no obvious lines

rated 2 of 5 on 9/16/2014 12:29:00 AM More reviews by timmycat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used to like this cream but since finding out that it has mineral oil I stopped using it. Its also very overpriced for the result that isn't that miraculous.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2014 11:55:00 AM More reviews by Mirrten

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a great moisturizer. I have been using this product for over 10 years. I think La Mer has played a role in the fact that I get a lot of compliments on my skin and have minimal wrinkles for my age. The La Mer website is excellent and the video is very helpful for learning how to apply the product. I like the experience of warming the cream between my fingertips and gently patting into my forehead, cheeks, etc.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/30/2014 5:57:00 PM More reviews by SummerGlow

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Go buy Nivea in the blue jar and you'll see the results are exactly the same and so are their ingredients. I've tried both and like that Nivea is the same. I also use it as eye cream. Wow is all I have to say. First few ingredients are same. I've tried both for a few months and Nivea wins. I know. I thought I'd never ever say that in a million years!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2014 4:26:00 AM More reviews by starchild8

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm surprised to read such harsh reviews of creme de la mer. I am acne-prone and am able to use this product.

Being an acne sufferer on retin-a micro, my winter exposed skin was left very dry and sensitive. I used creme de la mer and was amazed at how it enriched my skin and made it glow. Even after i washed my face in the evening (after wearing the creme under my makeup all day, including around my eyes), my skin was soft and smooth and no longer dried out.And studies i have read show that algae/seaweed extracts do thicken skin and promote collagen growth.

Along with the extract it contains many skin preserving minerals like copper while nivea contains none of these. That being said, it is understandable that the price of creme de la mer is off-putting and some consumers may still prefer using a cream that does not contain fermented algae/seaweed or minerals and paying over one hundred dollars more.

I use the creme mainly during cold or dry weather and alternate with other products. Perhaps that is why i've had no breakouts. I do notice that when i use la mer my skin is smooth and glowing even after i wash my face and i can't say that any other moisturizer has quite that same effect, even though they too are good moisturizers.

My main criticism is the high cost makes it necessary for me to use this creme more sparingly than i normally would, but i would never want to go through a harsh winter without it.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/25/2014 1:25:00 AM More reviews by CharcuterieQueen

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

NO LIPPIES. This creme provoked the only vicious breakout I've ever experienced.

Care to know why?

Seaweed extract.

Google it....

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/24/2014 1:38:00 PM More reviews by MDMAmakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Creme De La Mer can give you beautiful results, but the brand itself seems to be a total HOAX. I've been a professional makeup artist for nearly 10 years and have only worked in the retail aspect for 3+ years. I was the biggest La Mer Cheerleader until I started questioning the validity of it's origins. The past month I've spent trying to find information regarding the brand prior to it's "purchase" by Estee Lauder. I wrote a very detailed blog that I continue to update on my findings. I don't recommend anyone buy this product until Estee Lauder can prove their story behind this cream. http://beautystyled.com/2014/08/17/some-thoughts-on-creme-de-la-mer/