Cornstarch as Dry Shampoo

4.6

Price: $

Price: $

I have a short, A-line bob that requires a lot of flat ironing to look decent. I use this at night after a wash, and I wake up with fresh, not greasy hair. I'm trying to go longer without shampooing my hair, and cornstarch is my bestfriend!

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

By itself, as a dry shampoo, I'd never use it: I can't blend it in well enough with my level 7 roots to get rid of the grayish cast. It's definitely taken some time to get the formula and application right, but now that I have it down, this is a "product" that I'll keep around and use often, but it won't completely take the place of dry shampoo from a aerosol can. Why?-- Because cornstarch seems to make my hair softer and less able to hold styling, I have no added body or grip, unlike the dry shampoo from the spray cans.

MIXTURE SUGGESTIONS
-- 1:1 ratio of cornstarch and baking soda. This left the most desirable result for me, but I'm suspicious of the baking soda's alkalinity having a negative effect on hair health over time, so I've moved on.
-- 1:1 ratio of cornstarch and cocoa powder, for darker hair. I actually use less cocoa powder than this, I add in just enough to turn the mixture to a slightly taupe/tawny sort of color. This is my current mixture and I'm pretty happy with it.

APPLICATION
Go slow, it's easy to add in too much so that you can't work it into your hair. IMO, application is best done with a stiff/dense brush, like a kabuki or bronzer brush. A powder puff also works alright. Fingers are an option of last resort and can be messy. You can also try putting the powder into a small baby powder bottle with a sifter and applying it that way, but this method was always way too messy for my uncoordinated self, or I would squirt out too much to able to blend in.

HACKS
-- Add your own fragrance: a few drops of essential oil, or a pump of your favorite perfume sprayed into the mixture, shake mixture around and allow it to dry.
-- Doing that whole primal or paleo thing, or just don't want to by a Monsanto product?--me too. You can try substituting arrowroot powder for the corn starch.
-- Traveling a lot? Just use a cheap, mattifying face powder compact from the drug store instead. Same effect, easier to carry around and gives hair more body.

on 9/30/2014 8:48:00 PM

I have not tried this as a setting powder but as a dry shampoo it's awesome! I just bleached my hair and trying to go long in-between washes to keep it healthy. Someone commented on my hair today saying I have thick hair, but really it's thin! Didn't know it was even good for volume

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

So funny story. I was at a friend's house for a powder paint party, and her DIY powder paint recipe included cornstarch. Everyone was throwing the colored powder around, and naturally everything was a mess and I had all this paint packed into my hair. Once I got home, I picked out all the really brightly colored stuff I could, but a lot was still very attached to my hair. However, I also realized that even after all that sweating from the party, my hair was perfectly matte and had bounce and texture. It looked fantastic! I realized the cornstarch was a natural alternative for a dry shampoo and to test it out, I tried to see how many days I could go without washing my hair. Result: 4 days. 4 out of my 5 school days. (I washed everywhere else though, of course)

I think I'm gonna try those natural recipes for dry shampoo now :)

on 5/27/2014 9:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using a mix of cocoa powder and cornstarch for a dry shampoo (you brush it out the same way, it's not as yucky as commercial dry shampoo) every time I want a salon blow dry, to last a week...

It gives body to the hair and it doesn't gunk up the hair as Batiste does. Cocoa powder is crucial since I am brunette.

Anyway I wanted to share that a website called Maskcara.com, has an eyeshadow primer recipe... in which she uses 1 tspn lip balm, 1/2 tspn cornstarch, 1 1/2 tspn liquid foundation, to create a small batch of homemade eyeshadow primer. I hope to try it soon but thought it worth sharing here.

on 4/20/2014 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is a review for 100% pure cornstarch. this is a great natural product to put on my hair if I have put too much oil in it. It absorbs the oil, and the powder can be rinsed out with water. I recommend it.

on 3/21/2014 11:30:00 PM

This is honestly awesome stuff!! Instead of wearing foundation, I just put moisturizer on my skin and use this to set it. Even though it's suppose to be translucent, some how it evens out my skin tone, and makes my skin look natural yet matte. I'm in love with this stuff. I used the over rated rimmel stay matte powder( or whatever it's called) as well as some high end brands, but this is my favorite!!!!!!!!! Love it. I don't like it very much for dry shampoo but it's okay, because it works amazing as a setting powder!:)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is one of the best multi-use powders. It can work as a dry shampoo but it can ALSO work as a setting powder. Did you know Bare Minerals loose mineral foundation is just corn starch and pigment? Well I use this as my setting powder everyday and it works amazingly. I only have to retouch after 4-5 hours which is incredible for my oily/combo skin. Plus, it's really cheap for such a big amount. You just have to be careful to not put too much otherwise there could be a white cast.

on 1/31/2014 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I love using cornstarch in my hair as a styler. It beats the Hair Volume powders.
I flip over my hair, apply it to the roots and style as usual.
I recommend this over any well known expensive hair powder out there.
Love it, try it- You're Welcome LOL......

on 12/31/2013 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Brilliant!!!! I have grown my hair quite long and find that just one day after washing it, it appears limp and flat. I try to wash my hair only twice a week, so I began the hunt for a good but inexpensive dry shampoo. I quickly became disheartened because the cheaper drugstore brands all contain denatured alcohol which dries my hair to a crisp. I read the rave reviews here for cornstarch and thought I'd give it a try (I had some in the cupboard...what did I have to lose?). Because I have dark hair, I mixed it with cocoa powder. My husband thought I was nuts. I dabbed some on my fingers and rubbed the mixture along my scalp. I had instant volume and no signs of cornstarch in my hair. My husband complimented me on my hair this morning and I told him I owe it all to cornstarch.
And the bonus...when you add cocoa powder, it smells like chocolate. I'm now on the hunt for an icing sugar shaker for easier application.
**UPDATE
This stuff is still brilliant.
Because this grocery store item adds so much body and life to my hair, I now add it right after I wash my hair instead of waiting until it gets greasy. I put the cornstarch/cocao powder mixture in a shaker and do about four shakes around my scalp. Then I massage my scalp to blend it. I try not to add too much because, if I overdo it, my hair becomes stiff, chalky and tangled. Also, I avoid the ends of my hair because cornstarch will just make them feel more parched. But this mixture is a brilliant rootlifter, better than ANY hair product I've ever tried. Just think of the money I will save.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products