August 21, 2014 | 985 users online

Styling Products - cornstarch

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2014 10:25:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Common cornstarch is a great oil-absorber - but you must be careful if you have enlarged pores as it can settle into them and clog you worse than before you started. Also good as a powder for body.

Inexpensive and easy to add to other ingredients.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2014 9:09:00 PM More reviews by AdorkableNargle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

So funny story. I was at a friend's house for a powder paint party, and her DIY powder paint recipe included cornstarch. Everyone was throwing the colored powder around, and naturally everything was a mess and I had all this paint packed into my hair. Once I got home, I picked out all the really brightly colored stuff I could, but a lot was still very attached to my hair. However, I also realized that even after all that sweating from the party, my hair was perfectly matte and had bounce and texture. It looked fantastic! I realized the cornstarch was a natural alternative for a dry shampoo and to test it out, I tried to see how many days I could go without washing my hair. Result: 4 days. 4 out of my 5 school days. (I washed everywhere else though, of course)

I think I'm gonna try those natural recipes for dry shampoo now :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2014 9:16:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

I have been using a mix of cocoa powder and cornstarch for a dry shampoo (you brush it out the same way, it's not as yucky as commercial dry shampoo) every time I want a salon blow dry, to last a week...

It gives body to the hair and it doesn't gunk up the hair as Batiste does. Cocoa powder is crucial since I am brunette.

Anyway I wanted to share that a website called Maskcara.com, has an eyeshadow primer recipe... in which she uses 1 tspn lip balm, 1/2 tspn cornstarch, 1 1/2 tspn liquid foundation, to create a small batch of homemade eyeshadow primer. I hope to try it soon but thought it worth sharing here.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2014 3:53:00 AM More reviews by persephone1985

This stuff is amazing. Not only keep my oilies at bay (when used as a setting powder) it also works just as great as dry shampoo. My hair is black but it doesn't leave any white residue. And I also use this on top of any lipstick when I feel like wearing matte lipstick and this doesn't dry out my lips. All in all, a perfect product (and is cheap as dirt) will repurchase over and over.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2014 12:13:00 PM More reviews by lisa7788

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Great stuff! I just starting using this mixed w/ a tiny bit of my mineral makeup & bronzer & it works great! No more oilies at the end of the day! Thanks everyone for recommending this!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2014 2:59:00 PM More reviews by jpaulhynes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a review for 100% pure cornstarch. this is a great natural product to put on my hair if I have put too much oil in it. It absorbs the oil, and the powder can be rinsed out with water. I recommend it.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2014 5:53:00 PM More reviews by Omykiss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I'm going to try & keep this to-the-point.

1. I have combination skin. Cornstarch is the ONE & ONLY powder I've ever (lightly) applied to my face & had last throughout the day. Unintentionally, I suppose I use it as a setting powder. I use moisturizer, BB cream, concealer if desired, and then dust with cornstarch once my makeup has 'absorbed' a bit. I once received a compliment that I had the skin of a porcelain doll - something I never imagined that I'd ever hear.
>>> I use as light a dusting as possible to achieve a matte finish. This does not affect the warm yellow undertones of my skin.
>>> I have not experienced any break outs, but I do not wear makeup frequently & almost always wash it off my face after. Feel guilty if I don't.

2. I have absurdly oily hair. After years of trial & error, I have determined that any mass produced shampoo from the store exacerbates the issue. Baking soda + apple cider vinegar worked for a few months but eventually made my scalp feel uncomfortable. Now, I use a basic tea tree oil soap bar from head to toe - which has given me my desired results. ANYWAYS..... throughout the last few years of trial & error, cornstarch was a best friend to my hair. Absorbed enough oil from my scalp to make me presentable in public for a day. Adds lovely texture too!

Cornstarch has absolutely earned its place amongst my makeup products.
>>> I keep mine in an empty Olay moisturizer jar.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2014 6:58:00 PM More reviews by miniequalcrzy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh my gosh....thanks to this site I used this to set my Fit me foundation (which transfers like crazy...) and there was so much less transfer! I can touch my face and then my notebook without worrying about brown stains all over the pages now!

I'm going to try it as dry shampoo as well as my hair gets super greasy :/

EDIT: this broke me out! And it didn't take long either...I read a review of someone say something about it not being good for oily skin, something to do with it reacting or cooking or something and maybe that's the reason? Who knows, I'm no Chem major :( either way Im not putting this stuff near my skin again

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2014 1:24:00 AM More reviews by MadchenRogue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

eventhought i am scoring this positively, for me this did not work. i am allergic to talc pure and simple....i was going the natural route and happen to have cornstarck in the cabinet. this stuff made my face react as if i was wearing talcum power. it made me: itch (really bad....which my my nose and sinus flare up) due to itching my skin went all pink. suffice to say i am allergic. i am not down grading this since there is a percentile of ppl who arent and if you are in this group, then lucky you! it sets well and it is super cheap. it you are allergic like me get rice flour or tapioca flour (aka arrowroot powder) i get mine at a korean store for $1.00 a pound! plus no side effect and you can use the rice flour to make a nice rice flour mask with witchhazel or mint tea!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2014 12:24:00 PM More reviews by Zariana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had noticed that corn starch (commonly referred to as corn flour in my part of the world) is an ingredient contained in many setting powders. I have oily skin for the most part, so powdering is an essential step in my make-up routine.

I decided to use some corn flour from the pantry as a setting powder after liquid foundation. I have used regular baby powder before, and was quite satisfied with the results.

It must be said that I am a woman of colour (NC37-40). I was initially apprehensive because I was expecting the corn flour to leave the dreaded white cast on my face. To my surprise, it didn't at all. I applied the corn flour sparingly using a large, fluffy powder brush. It imparted a sort of glow to my face, and somehow blurred my pores and minor imperfections.

What I really love about corn flour, however, is that even if I happen to apply too much, it doesn't leave my face looking cakey. With commercial setting powders (tinted and translucent), I could easily become over zealous with my application, and end up with an awfully dry-looking, cakey face - at the height of an African summer. As for its oil-absorbing properties, it gets an A+. I'm able to carry on with my daily tasks without worrying about my make-up melting off. I very rarely feel the need to touch up. Once my natural oils break through, I am left with a pretty, almost dewy finish instead of an oil spillage.

Just a caveat. This stuff can be terribly messy. It flies everywhere if you aren't careful. When I'm out, I prefer to carry a compact powder for obvious reasons. I'm still on the hunt for a reasonably priced translucent compact powder that absorbs oil on contact with the skin.

Most importantly, it doesn't break me out or clog my pores. I'm very prone to clogging, so this is a winner for me. It's super inexpensive from my local Indian grocery store. I purchase the 1kg packet for 20 ZAR (approximately $2). This is sure to last me a good while.

If you are concerned that corn flour will give you a white cast, I'm sure one could add a bit of tinted face powder to the corn flour to match one's skin tone. Store it an empty loose powder container and powder away!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No