Cornstarch as Dry Shampoo

Price: $

Price: $

on 10/10/2015 2:06:00 PM

This is the beauty of makeup alley - word gets out about a DIRT cheap product that works so damned well on your face and hair. Have bleached blonde hair, and my bangs get a bit oily overnight. In the morning throw my head over and take say half a palm's worth of cornstarch and rub it into my roots. Then comb out. If you're blonde, the cornstarch will make your hair lighter.

Now, the thing is, after using the cornstarch your hair is going to look very MATTE. So what I do is apply a serum or you can use a shine spray or glosser. The cornstarch - I use Maizena which is like a freaking DOLLAR for 14 ounces - also plumps your hair and gives VOLUME. Using this stuff find it really cuts down on the need to do the regular shampoo/conditioner routine. By shampooing less you preserve your hair color big time.

This is THE perfect setting powder, and just rub this stuff between your fingers. It feels like silk. Who needs pricey Bare MInerals?

Lastly, I regularly dump a couple of teaspoons into my ash tray to control tobacco smell and to easily extinguish my cigarette.

on 10/4/2015 3:55:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

ive been using cornstarch as dry shampoo for probably about a year and a half now. i started using it with cocoa powder but eventually decided it was easier to blend without any add-ins, plus i didnt like how red the cocoa made my hair look.

i have applied before using a powder brush and at the moment im just using a salt shaker to shake it out into my hair and apply directly to my hair. I prefer this method just because i have an oily scalp and it doesn't take as long to build the product up - using a brush can take a while, even if it does mean you dont have to blend as much afterwards. i do use a regular hairbrush after every application to evenly distribute the CS and don't usually have an issue with conspicuous residue but it's definitely there if you look hard enough because I have brown hair.

ive heard cornstarch is comedogenic and i do find that i get scalp breakouts occasionally when i use it as dry shampoo, which usually aren't a big deal since they're easy to forget about and aren't visible to others. for this reason though i can only give it four stars.

on 8/14/2015 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I LOVE this stuff!!! It removes the oil and gives my hair bounce and volume it doesnít weigh it down or give me that sticky residue as with regular aerosol spray dry shampoo. I tried the cocoa powder mix but I did not like it I prefer it on its own. The cocoa powder left a lingering scent and on itís own it has no scent which I prefer. I have dark hair but I have no problem with it being very visible, the trick is to use a kabuki brush (elf $6) it helps blend in and buff the product into your roots. This stuff is also easy on my wallet I get a Argo 16oz can for $1.40. The kabuki brush makes it a lot less messy but I still donít take my chances, I get dressed after I apply the cornstarch. I transferred a spoonful onto a plastic container and dip and tap my brush there. I should also add this makes an AMAZING SETTING POWDER. It keeps my face matte better than anything!! If you struggle with oily skin give this a try you will not be disappointed! I have acne prone skin and it has never made me brake out. Cornstarch is a miracle product

on 4/23/2015 6:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I use cornstarch mixed with unsweetened cocoa powder & ground cinnamon as a dry shampoo (I have henned auburn hair). I kept it in a container with holes in it (purchased from Walmart's kitchen section originally for stored grated parmesan.) I sprinkle a bit in my hair and then brush it out over the sink (sto prevent a residue on my clothes).. It works beautifully and smells great unlike many of the spray dry shampoos which smell nasty. Super cheap too!

I have a short, A-line bob that requires a lot of flat ironing to look decent. I use this at night after a wash, and I wake up with fresh, not greasy hair. I'm trying to go longer without shampooing my hair, and cornstarch is my bestfriend!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

By itself, as a dry shampoo, I'd never use it: I can't blend it in well enough with my level 7 roots to get rid of the grayish cast. It's definitely taken some time to get the formula and application right, but now that I have it down, this is a "product" that I'll keep around and use often, but it won't completely take the place of dry shampoo from a aerosol can. Why?-- Because cornstarch seems to make my hair softer and less able to hold styling, I have no added body or grip, unlike the dry shampoo from the spray cans.

-- 1:1 ratio of cornstarch and baking soda. This left the most desirable result for me, but I'm suspicious of the baking soda's alkalinity having a negative effect on hair health over time, so I've moved on.
-- 1:1 ratio of cornstarch and cocoa powder, for darker hair. I actually use less cocoa powder than this, I add in just enough to turn the mixture to a slightly taupe/tawny sort of color. This is my current mixture and I'm pretty happy with it.

Go slow, it's easy to add in too much so that you can't work it into your hair. IMO, application is best done with a stiff/dense brush, like a kabuki or bronzer brush. A powder puff also works alright. Fingers are an option of last resort and can be messy. You can also try putting the powder into a small baby powder bottle with a sifter and applying it that way, but this method was always way too messy for my uncoordinated self, or I would squirt out too much to able to blend in.

-- Add your own fragrance: a few drops of essential oil, or a pump of your favorite perfume sprayed into the mixture, shake mixture around and allow it to dry.
-- Doing that whole primal or paleo thing, or just don't want to by a Monsanto product?--me too. You can try substituting arrowroot powder for the corn starch.
-- Traveling a lot? Just use a cheap, mattifying face powder compact from the drug store instead. Same effect, easier to carry around and gives hair more body.

on 9/30/2014 8:48:00 PM

I have not tried this as a setting powder but as a dry shampoo it's awesome! I just bleached my hair and trying to go long in-between washes to keep it healthy. Someone commented on my hair today saying I have thick hair, but really it's thin! Didn't know it was even good for volume

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

So funny story. I was at a friend's house for a powder paint party, and her DIY powder paint recipe included cornstarch. Everyone was throwing the colored powder around, and naturally everything was a mess and I had all this paint packed into my hair. Once I got home, I picked out all the really brightly colored stuff I could, but a lot was still very attached to my hair. However, I also realized that even after all that sweating from the party, my hair was perfectly matte and had bounce and texture. It looked fantastic! I realized the cornstarch was a natural alternative for a dry shampoo and to test it out, I tried to see how many days I could go without washing my hair. Result: 4 days. 4 out of my 5 school days. (I washed everywhere else though, of course)

I think I'm gonna try those natural recipes for dry shampoo now :)

on 5/27/2014 9:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using a mix of cocoa powder and cornstarch for a dry shampoo (you brush it out the same way, it's not as yucky as commercial dry shampoo) every time I want a salon blow dry, to last a week...

It gives body to the hair and it doesn't gunk up the hair as Batiste does. Cocoa powder is crucial since I am brunette.

Anyway I wanted to share that a website called, has an eyeshadow primer recipe... in which she uses 1 tspn lip balm, 1/2 tspn cornstarch, 1 1/2 tspn liquid foundation, to create a small batch of homemade eyeshadow primer. I hope to try it soon but thought it worth sharing here.

on 4/20/2014 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is a review for 100% pure cornstarch. this is a great natural product to put on my hair if I have put too much oil in it. It absorbs the oil, and the powder can be rinsed out with water. I recommend it.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products