September 20, 2014 | 831 users online

Dry Shampoo - Cornstarch as Dry Shampoo

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2014 9:09:00 PM More reviews by AdorkableNargle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

So funny story. I was at a friend's house for a powder paint party, and her DIY powder paint recipe included cornstarch. Everyone was throwing the colored powder around, and naturally everything was a mess and I had all this paint packed into my hair. Once I got home, I picked out all the really brightly colored stuff I could, but a lot was still very attached to my hair. However, I also realized that even after all that sweating from the party, my hair was perfectly matte and had bounce and texture. It looked fantastic! I realized the cornstarch was a natural alternative for a dry shampoo and to test it out, I tried to see how many days I could go without washing my hair. Result: 4 days. 4 out of my 5 school days. (I washed everywhere else though, of course)

I think I'm gonna try those natural recipes for dry shampoo now :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2014 9:16:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

I have been using a mix of cocoa powder and cornstarch for a dry shampoo (you brush it out the same way, it's not as yucky as commercial dry shampoo) every time I want a salon blow dry, to last a week...

It gives body to the hair and it doesn't gunk up the hair as Batiste does. Cocoa powder is crucial since I am brunette.

Anyway I wanted to share that a website called Maskcara.com, has an eyeshadow primer recipe... in which she uses 1 tspn lip balm, 1/2 tspn cornstarch, 1 1/2 tspn liquid foundation, to create a small batch of homemade eyeshadow primer. I hope to try it soon but thought it worth sharing here.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2014 2:59:00 PM More reviews by jpaulhynes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a review for 100% pure cornstarch. this is a great natural product to put on my hair if I have put too much oil in it. It absorbs the oil, and the powder can be rinsed out with water. I recommend it.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2014 11:30:00 PM More reviews by bettybear135

This is honestly awesome stuff!! Instead of wearing foundation, I just put moisturizer on my skin and use this to set it. Even though it's suppose to be translucent, some how it evens out my skin tone, and makes my skin look natural yet matte. I'm in love with this stuff. I used the over rated rimmel stay matte powder( or whatever it's called) as well as some high end brands, but this is my favorite!!!!!!!!! Love it. I don't like it very much for dry shampoo but it's okay, because it works amazing as a setting powder!:)

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2014 11:49:00 PM More reviews by makeupinsider

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is one of the best multi-use powders. It can work as a dry shampoo but it can ALSO work as a setting powder. Did you know Bare Minerals loose mineral foundation is just corn starch and pigment? Well I use this as my setting powder everyday and it works amazingly. I only have to retouch after 4-5 hours which is incredible for my oily/combo skin. Plus, it's really cheap for such a big amount. You just have to be careful to not put too much otherwise there could be a white cast.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2014 3:56:00 PM More reviews by Dozastroze

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love using cornstarch in my hair as a styler. It beats the Hair Volume powders.
I flip over my hair, apply it to the roots and style as usual.
I recommend this over any well known expensive hair powder out there.
Love it, try it- You're Welcome LOL......

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2013 1:15:00 PM More reviews by harrisss

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Brilliant!!!! I have grown my hair quite long and find that just one day after washing it, it appears limp and flat. I try to wash my hair only twice a week, so I began the hunt for a good but inexpensive dry shampoo. I quickly became disheartened because the cheaper drugstore brands all contain denatured alcohol which dries my hair to a crisp. I read the rave reviews here for cornstarch and thought I'd give it a try (I had some in the cupboard...what did I have to lose?). Because I have dark hair, I mixed it with cocoa powder. My husband thought I was nuts. I dabbed some on my fingers and rubbed the mixture along my scalp. I had instant volume and no signs of cornstarch in my hair. My husband complimented me on my hair this morning and I told him I owe it all to cornstarch.
And the bonus...when you add cocoa powder, it smells like chocolate. I'm now on the hunt for an icing sugar shaker for easier application.
**UPDATE
This stuff is still brilliant.
Because this grocery store item adds so much body and life to my hair, I now add it right after I wash my hair instead of waiting until it gets greasy. I put the cornstarch/cocao powder mixture in a shaker and do about four shakes around my scalp. Then I massage my scalp to blend it. I try not to add too much because, if I overdo it, my hair becomes stiff, chalky and tangled. Also, I avoid the ends of my hair because cornstarch will just make them feel more parched. But this mixture is a brilliant rootlifter, better than ANY hair product I've ever tried. Just think of the money I will save.

30 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2013 9:41:00 PM More reviews by Lossea

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I must have been living under a rock, or something. I have no idea why it took me so long to find that cornstarch is an amazing dry shampoo! I couldn't afford to buy expensive dry shampoos and, when I was in a bind, I found a tip to use cornstarch instead. I had no plain cornstarch in the house, so I used the powdered egg substitute, first ingredients in which is cornstarch. Because my hair is dark blond, I mixed the cornstarch with equal parts of cocoa powder and keep it in an old e.l.f. powder jar in the bathroom. I apply it with makeup brush, and the hair is instantly fresh-looking, giving me an extra day of wear. What I love is (apart from having my hair smell like yummy chocolate ^_^) that this powder is very fine, and there is no residue felt on the scalp (comparing to baking soda I tried, which is quite big and has not worked nearly as well for absorbing oils). It is also so cheap, and works every time! I will use this method for the rest of my life.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2013 10:41:00 PM More reviews by mirrkat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I use the Clabber brand as a dry shampoo. I am not spending a lot of money on a dry shampoo from high end stores. Corn starch is just as good. I have light hair so I don't need to mix it with anything. If you have dark hair they say to mix it with cocoa. I just apply it and blend it, then use a brush to style. I tried another brand of corn starch but it irritated me so I stick with Clabber. I try to only use it once a week sometimes twice if necessary. You don't want to use it too much as it can dry your scalp. If you're scalp is dry, I recommend using raw coconut oil as a mask and let it stay in for a little while, and then shower as usual. The coconut oil will moisturize and treat your hair and scalp.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2013 2:23:00 AM More reviews by rosateh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oolalala....this is just AWESOME!!!!

Thanks to all the reviews from MUA I have been apply cornflour as my setting powder for my combination skin. It works great and my face stays matte all day long. I have been spending lots of money in my hunt for long lasting eyebrow pencils and eyeliners but nothing stays on for more that an hour. Just a dab of cornflour will do the job nicely and it costs me almost next to nothing. Works great and easy on my pocket.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No