December 20, 2014 | 922 users online

Self Tanners - Banana Boat - Airbrush Self-Tanner with Instant Bronzer

rated 2 of 5 on 6/19/2013 12:10:00 AM More reviews by AMMC

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Although the color is pretty good, this stuff takes forever to dry. Also it has a very heavy fragrance. I notice it rubbing off very easily compared to other bands I have tried (Jergens, L'Oreal). Won't re purchase once I run out.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2013 4:34:00 PM More reviews by fasab88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this for the last week in place of the L'Oreal spray I previously used. The L'Oreal one goes on quite orange in some spots and is hardly noticeable in others (I do the usual shower, shave, heavy exfoliate beforehand).

This one has it's pros & cons. The color pay off is great for medium skin. It's a nice olive-bronze color. The initial scent is meh..kind of off-putting with the weird citrus scent. It reminds me of Lemoncello (the lemon liquor) or lemon head candies...which I don't like. The after-tan scent isn't as bad or unbearable really. Also, it takes quite a long time to dry. I hate having to hold my arms out & stand in front of a fan naked for 15 minutes waiting for it to dry.

But despite the cons I will continue to use it because the color is natural on my skin type & it lasts about 5-7 days. It also has minimal visible 'scaling' on my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/4/2012 3:55:00 PM More reviews by annieSFRBeauty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

Being a self tanning addict, I thought a product by Banana Boat would work well. The can and spray tip are fairly cheap, the color is minimal and it doesn't go on totally evenly. Its not a terrible product, but certainly something I would not purchase again unless it was the only option and I was desperate.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2007 3:37:00 PM More reviews by treecatd

Ok, i took a coldish shower, dried off and put on rubbergloves. then i sprayed a little of it on my body and rubbed it in or into my palms. it dries very fast and looks fantastic. just because it says air-brush doesn't mean it's going to work like an airbrush( A there is no steady flow as with an airbrush B there is no person to spray you) and no 'canned' airbrush will ever replace a real airbrush tan or mystic tan,sorry. but it's good enough for at home touch up or if you use it correctly. also just to finish the procedure, i take of the rubbergloves and spray some on one top of my hand and then rub the tops of my hands together until it's even...looks perfect everytime! And you can get dressed with a very short time and the bronzer won't rub off! Perfect for humid Florida!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/14/2007 3:00:00 PM More reviews by jleo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I like this brand, but this particular product was so bad I had to return it to the store. I had to use it outside, it sputtered, it streaked, the applicator jammed up. Don't waste your money on this one!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2007 12:13:00 PM More reviews by rastaxcore

To be honest, this stuff is almost scary. It smells a lot like Lysol to me, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but combined with the strange fumes post-application and the strange things it did to my skin, it was too out of this world. The bottle sputtered a lot, especially when it started to run low, and getting it even was difficult for me. The first time I used it, it seemed to have a drying effect, because I woke up the next day and my skin was flaky -- very unusual for me. However, I threw the half-used bottle into my suitcase going on a two week trip, and it's excellent for last minute touchups. It dried quickly enough that I could zap my legs ten minutes before leaving in a short skirt, and it didn't wear off on anything. But definitely wear socks during application! Some of it clung to my carpet, which was already dark, and the next day I'd bronzed the soles of my feet. Overall, if you want an inexpensive self-tanner for travel, it's convenient and quick. I would not recommend this as a regular self tanner, since it dried my skin and wore off unevenly.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2006 6:37:00 PM More reviews by PoisonedIvy

My sprayer sucked too. Sputtered every few minutes, then sprayed smoothly again after fussing with it for a while. This would be enough to make the product useless if not for the fact that the results are fantastic.

I've had several people say, "Wow, great tan" rather than "What tanning product did you use?" which is a good sign. It's a nice color, not orangey, definitely more my natural shade of brown shading to golden/yellow (the exact color I really tan, sans freckles though).

I like that it sinks in and dries pretty fast- I can spray it on, rub it in and then put on something loose and do stuff around the house without sticking to things or staining them, which is very nice. The smell is fine- it's impossible to make tanner smell wonderful, I suppose, since there's that chemical reaction that makes the smell, but it isn't overpowering and I've definitely smelled much worse. (Though my cat squinted at me and wouldn't let me touch him, he's picky).

It doesn't spray on in such a way as to be no-rub, unfortunately. You have to rub it in. However once you do, there are NO streaks, patchy places, weird dark blotches or other issues such as I've had with every other tanner I've tried, even ones I've rubbed in for much longer. It is a nice gradual effect too. I did three coats and ended up looking like I had a decent light to medium tan. My hands, feet, elbows and knees came out perfect, very natural. The only dead giveaway is that my palms did get dark despite numerous scrubbings. Oh well. At least the backs of my hands match!

The "instant bronzer" color is OK too. You could conceivably put it on in the morning and then leave it for the day. I wouldn't since I can't stand even the hint of smell and it was a little too dark of a look to be reasonable on me. Basically it's worth the annoyance with the sprayer to get nice results.
continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2006 11:13:00 AM More reviews by ErinK

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I agree with the general consensus here: pain in the butt to apply, nice results. Every couple of years I wonder why I'm loyal to ST lotions when these sprays promise easy application and no rubbing necessary, and I cave and buy a spray. Then I use it and I remember why I'm loyal to lotions. Airbrush--hah! Yes, its sputters and spurts out of the nozzle, applying unevenly. Even if there was no color guide, this would result in streaking if you did not rub, so imagine what it looks like with a color guide when it applies this way. Like brown spray-paint stripes. So I rubbed it in desperately, anticipating a streaky mess since it dries FAST. Smell is strong, and don't even think about using this unless you are standing on a large, old sheet. Very unpleasant in general--even though it dries fast I felt coated and so afraid of streaks. I almost took a shower. However, next day: no streaks, light pretty tan. I would not say the results were dramatic (and I am a PPP) but there was enough color to see a difference on my fish-belly body for sure. No orange. I think I will use it up when I feel like the effort but I will not re-buy.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2006 6:01:00 PM More reviews by rockme528

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had been using L'Oreal Sublime Bronze, which was giving me a great, bronzed color, but it took at least an hour to dry and even then, I would have to wear ratty clothes as not to stain my regular clothes. It was just such as hassle, but I kept going back because the color was so great. I decided to give this Banana Boat Spray On a try...it is my first spray on, so I have nothing to compare it to. My sprayer didn't clog like others have said ,but I still had to rub in the color or it would have been streaky. It dries super quick, which is a plus in my book and the color is very nice. I don't think it smells bad either. Oh yeah, and definitely follow the directions about using it in a well-ventilated area..because it doesn't smell bad, but the chemicals will hurt your nose and give you a headache if you don't! I would buy this again, but I think I will try the Neutrogena one that everyone is raving about first.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2006 10:07:00 PM More reviews by ahryb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've used a ton of self tanners (creams, lotions, sprays) and I admit, I had low expectations for this product (but I need to try every self tanner out there just to appease myself). I agree that the manner in which the product sprays out is not ideal (I was quite certain that I was going to be a streaky mess in the morning) so I rubbed the product in by hand. I must say, the "tan" turned out wonderfully the next morning-- probably one of the best ones I've had! It was not streaky at all and not too dark or too smelly. Even my feet looked good enough to wear open sandals! The color didn't last super long and the "color guide" during application didn't seem to help a ton, but I will be using again for the finished result. I would say that if BB improved their nozzle delivery, this could really win some raves!