October 21, 2014 | 1985 users online

Self Tanners - Dove - Summer Glow

rated 1 of 5 on 6/24/2014 6:21:00 AM More reviews by eshillingxxox

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I exfoliated before use, but it still left horrible streaks! I tried several times with different methods to get this off, but ended up getting it evened out with a spray tan :/ Maybe it works better on darker skinned people? Either way, I think I prefer to stay ghostly until I can find where to buy my old self tanner again...

rated 3 of 5 on 1/16/2014 3:08:00 PM More reviews by annaliiiisa

I have pake scandinavian skin. To get an actual result with this prodyct i use the one for medium to dark skin and i add 2 coats after each other. I apply the first layer after shower and after its absorbed i do the second layer. This works for me when i already have a bit of tan underneath. Otherwise even eith 2 layers and applying for 3 days straight it doesnt give much of a result. The price is good but i wouldnt buy it again cos i simply dont see the result..

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2013 12:34:00 PM More reviews by Rosahelen

I like this gradual tanner it applies well and it is moisturizing however I do not like the smell that develops along with the tan. the packaging is good it looks like any other dove lotion. this would be the perfect gradual tanner if the smell wasn't so bad, it makes you smell dirty, i wouldn't call it the typical fake tan smell but another smell i cannot explain.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/27/2013 6:54:00 PM More reviews by Froozygirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Gosh... What a nightmare! I was looking for a gradual self-tan-I was running out of my beloved Lancaster one and I thought for some reason that it would be a good idea to change... I seem to remember that I tried that in the past and I remember it didn't really smell that bad, so I thought I should try that again.
Well, it actually felt very sticky on application (I don't remember it being so sticky when it was first launched, so perhaps they have changed the formulation or something?) that I actually had to have another shower to get rid of it. I mean, really very sticky. As for the smell, well it doesn't really smell of self-tan a lot (the smell if actually fairly pleasant) but frankly, I couldn't stand the stickiness, so I can't even say whether you can tan nicely with this thing or not.
Not a good product for me - yes it's cheap, but perhaps try Lancaster's gradual tanner. It does a magnificent job, and it's not sticky at all. I don't think I will buy that again...

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2013 2:32:00 AM More reviews by NitaJ

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This product is great if you want a really natural looking gradual tan, it really does work however the smell is not so nice and i felt really sticky after applying it. I really wish Vaseline had not discontinued theirs, it was the same concept but much better!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/17/2013 4:22:00 PM More reviews by AnnaAshton

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

not so good!! don't bay it again .

rated 2 of 5 on 6/17/2013 7:49:00 AM More reviews by powdayoface

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Skin tone: NC15-20 naturally, NC25-30 summer, NC30-37 fake tanned
Skin undertone: WARM yellow
Skin tolerance to the sun: Easily burnt (painful!) with tan afterwards

This was my first ever tanner that i bought at the mere age of 13. (yes, I know tutt tutt) SInce I didnt know anything about self tanning, I believed that this gave me a gorgeous summery glow and made me look like like an ethereal goddess. Oh, how very wrong I was. More like tangerine, carrot legs. yup. -.-

It wasnt until I began to buy more and gradual tanners and eventually self tanners that i finally realised how incredibly naive i was. The colour was streaky, orange and artificial compared to my current HG, St Moriz Dark Mousse.

The smell was also horrendous. It smelled really heavy and perfumed on application and when it developed, it smelled like feet and biscuits. Urgh. My sheets and clothes smelled of it as well. To top it off, this took ages to completely dry and when it did, my skin felt tacky.

NEVER buying again.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/12/2013 3:39:00 PM More reviews by ebett

I have given this a couple of chances and although it does give me a tanned glow, it always turns so streaky and patchy for me and is so difficult to scrub off. It smells lovely at first but the self tan smell really does come through. It gave me the colour I wanted, but the fact it is so hard to scrub off and left such dirty streaky marks put me off.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/7/2013 7:10:00 AM More reviews by Suli8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

EWWW this is awful!! It turns you a disgusting orange/yellow colour and it stinks! At first it smells nice and then the smell develops into a granny biscuit rotten mushroom smell! EW. I have this normal one and recently bought one with +soft shimmer which i saw my auntie use, and she says it works well, but no... no! It looks ridiculously unnatural. It can get rather blotchy on me too... I wont be buying this again, such a shame, i really wanted it to work well. I noticed that maybe with one application every now and then you would probably look fine, but i applied two coats.. 2 days in a row, like it says.. apply daily! And its turned into awful orangey yellow. Thank god ive only done one of my arms, couldnt bare my whole body being like this. EW. Maybe I can use up what I have with just applying it say.. once every 3-4 days.. But wont be buying this again!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2013 12:15:00 PM More reviews by HelloLucy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Even though my skin is a lot more on the fair side, I use the 'Medium to Dark' instead of the 'Fair to Medium' version of this bodylotion, as the latter doesn't really give me that much of a visible tan after using it once.
The 'Medium to Dark' bodylotion gives me a nice tan overnight without making me look like a tangerine, which is always a good thing. It gives me a tan with a yellow undertone, which is a bit different from the tan I get by sunbathing, but it still looks natural.
When I'm happy with how tan I am (mostly after using it one or two days in a row), I keep up my tan by mixing a bit of Dove's summer glow with a regular bodylotion of a similar texture to avoid becoming too dark and streaky.
The bodylotion gets absorbed quite quickly and makes my skin feel soft and smooth.
The scent of this product is nice, fresh and sweet when you apply it onto your skin, but after a few hours it unfortunately develops into the typical musty 'fake tan smell'. I use this self tan before I go to bed though, so I can rinse off the smell and the 'film' that the product has left over my skin during my morning shower.
Also, the body lotion rubs off onto my bedsheets, so you may have to think twice about the combination of sleeping with this fake tan and white/light-coloured bedding (or clothes, if you want to use this product during the daytime).
Overall, the bodylotion is worth the price. I've recently finished yet another tube, and as I'm still happy about the effect of this self tan, I'll buy a new one again soon.