September 16, 2014 | 1953 users online

Other - Shu Uemura - Brush Cleaner

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2014 11:55:00 AM More reviews by azmuslima

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

EDIT: Revision needed as this has acetone and is extremely drying on brushes...

I have tried many many brush cleaners and even made some myself. This tops them all...not sure what is in it but it is truly amazing. Just pour a little in a cup, dip your brush in, swirl it around, pull it out and wipe on paper towel etc. amazing, removes makeup residue and any staining! Brushes dry quickly! Love it

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2013 1:58:00 AM More reviews by Babyivyc

Great brush cleaner to use between washes

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2013 3:16:00 PM More reviews by lidyachu

I love this brush cleaner although sometimes I couldn't stand the smell. The smell is so strong. But apart from that, it does a great job. This product really helps to clean my brushes thoroughly, leaves all my brushes with soft feeling like they are brand new. I found this cleanser better if I compared with baby shampoo and olive oil.

The only bad thing about this product is the value. I always clean my brushes every week, and one bottle only last me about two to three weeks (I have quite a lot of brushes to clean).

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2013 1:41:00 PM More reviews by JLeroux

The Good: Cleans brushes thoroughly, even my foundation caked stippling brush. Since the cleanser doesn't have to be rinsed out, it's really quick and convenient to use as well. My brushes feel soft after using this cleanser.

The Bad: It smells strongly of alcohol. However, the smell completely disappears when the brushes are dry. I also find that the brushes soak up a lot of the cleanser, so the bottle isn't going to last very long. As such, it's pretty expensive.

Overall: Great cleanser! Cleans brushes thoroughly and leaves them feeling soft.
Value: Not great. My botte is half empty after 2 rounds of cleaning (all of my brushes). Going forward, I'll probably use this cleanser only for quickly cleaning more heavily used brushes between monthly cleanings.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2012 6:16:00 PM More reviews by huntingjanuary

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I do like this product as it does the job VERY well. It cleans out the product quickly but I'm still not sure how to make the best of it as I tend to have to use so much of the product to clean all my brushes. Love the packaging and while pricey, it is a really good product. I have sadly switched to BareMinerals brush shampoo though but I will definitely buy this in a heart beat when that runs out.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2012 6:49:00 AM More reviews by lulumelody

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I usually wash all my brushes with the baby shampoo every one or two week, and use brush cleaner for a quick cleaning everyday (I pour a small amount of the brush cleaner directly onto a piece of facial tissue, then sweep the brush on the tissue till it is clean.) Compare to the MAC brush cleanser, Shu uemura brush cleaner is much better: 1, you need much less amount of Shu to do the quick clean job. Although it costs 9.5 for 233ml MAC and 11 for 120ml Shu uemura, I won't say Shu is expensive. 2, Shu makes brushes dry naturally more quickly. After cleaning, brushes are almost ready to use. 3, After cleaning, Shu keeps the brush condition like new without any sticky part, even it contains some seeds oil. On the other hand, MAC always make my brush bristles a bit sticky. The only thing make me unhappy about Shu is the smell. OMG, it smells like nail polish or nail polish remover, and really gives me headache.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2011 7:45:00 PM More reviews by 1Agatka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Wow... it works!
It's expensive but removes all kinds of make-up (even dried Draline from Inglot!) from my brushes and a little goes a long way. I'm puzzled as to how some of the other reviewers said the bottle is small and doesn't last...
I pour a small amount in a little glass souffle dish, tilt it to the side, immerse the brush in the liquid and work the bristles gently against the flat bottom of the dish removing most of the products. Then I pat brush in kitchen towel removing the rest of the dirty liquid and let the brushes dry flat. The toxic-smelling solution evaporates quickly leaving brushes like new. This way use very little product yet get my brushes clean, sanitised and conditioned.
I will be buying this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2009 5:24:00 AM More reviews by super77

The smell is really strong! It is more expensive as compared to MAC and Bobbi Brown. I like the way it is packaged because it is no mess after I pour the solution unlike MAC and Bobbi brown's brush cleaner. Be very careful not to let the solution touches the brush handles, it really will wear out the paint.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2009 4:28:00 PM More reviews by bren81

Hmmmm I'm on the fence for this one. It does do what it promises. It is a fantastic cleanser for brushes. I pour some of the liquid into a ceramic cup, swirl my brushes in it, rub if needed to get all the makeup out, and wash thoroughly in running water and lay it flat to dry. It takes next to no time to thoroughly clean your bruchse (even my concealer brushes get cleaned right to the core with no residue), and dries very fast. What more can you ask right? Well..... Let me first start with the price. For the little glass bottle, you only get maybe 7 washes out of it. I typically clean all my brush at once so maybe that's why I only get 7 washes. But still, for the price I really wish they'd give me a bigger bottle. Next the smell. Oh my God. The smell is terrible to say the least. Everytime I breathe that fume in by mistake, I gag. It is horrendous. It's probably the alcohol but it stinks up my entire bathroom. And this is why I rinse my cleaned brush with running water although the SA said I just need to let it dry without a rinse. I can't imagine putting the stinky brush with all that product to my face. I would rather wash it off thoroughly and dry for longer. I have used two bottles of this already and it was by far the most effective product compared to other I've used so far (MAC, Clinique, and Bobbi Brown). However, I don't know if I want to fork out that much money again. I am going to try the homemade cleanser and see how that turns out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2009 10:06:00 AM More reviews by lilmisssunshine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The SA talked me into buying the 'bottle' cap which is independent of the brush cleaner bottle, and costs me an additional $15 (about $2 USD). THE CAP IS MADE OF PLASTIC so i don't see anything wrong with using this cleanser with plastic material.

You'd need a GREAT amount of product and the cleaner would only last you 6-8 times of cleansing, which is bad, and awful for the price you gave. But the cleanser would make your brush dry pretty quickly, and clean them thoroughly...I have yet to wash my Shu brushes with baby shampoo to see how it works... but i will try :)

probably NOT repurchase due to the price and the number of uses you can get.