Wella Color Charm Toner

4.2

on 5/25/2015 6:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

okay, my mind is blown. to better illustrate the amazingness that is this product, I'm going to break my situation down into parts. Ahem..

MY GOAL: Elizabeth Olsens hair. As in, level 6 ash blonde roots then like level 8/9 ends and balayage; basically highlights that end with an ombre. All very ash/neutral. Which leads me to the unfortunate...

PRIOR HAIR: Level 6 reddish brown with lots and lots of warmth. Like I had hennaed a couple times months and months ago and colored over that with red dye, both demis and permanents so I was well aware that it would be **highly** unlikely to get my goal.

THE PROCESS: first 30v + bleach on ends and here and there in mid shaft. Shampoo and rinse. then, application of 6AA (dark intense ash blonde) on roots and anywhere that wasn't bleached. Rinse. Then applied Wella T14 to whole head (mixed with 20V ion developer) and rinse (with a light shampoo).

RESULT: fucking miracles. The orange bleached bits are blonde. Like beige blonde. Like what I actually wanted. I am FLOORED. it never turns out this way. The yellow and orange cast is gone its just natural and lovely and not too damaged (c'mon, I used bleach). The only problem is that my roots are still reddish which is not gonna work. So I'm reapplying the 6AA with a little of the toner and I might re-tone before I condition just for the hell of it.

Fyi, I only left the toner in for like 6 minutes from the time it touched my head because it started looking a bit gray (but now I think I didn't leave it in long enough or shouldn't have shampooed). Also, I should mention, my hair has never ever been able to achieve blonde this easily before...and its great thanks to Wella.

If its not working for u, perhaps different developer strength or maybe your hair hasn't been bleached to the proper level (I previously gave this product a bad review because it didn't work on my burnt orange hair a while back)

I used this on my recently highlighted medium brown hair (DIY using L'oreal Cremelights Highlighting Kit) which were turning too brassy (bright yellow and somewhat orangish brown on the parts I hadn't left the bleach on for very long). I was happy with the highlights themselves and knew that seeing brass was the nature of bleaching and that I needed to tone to get them to look right. I was nervous because I'd never toned my hair before but it was actually pretty easy.

I didn't want any of the lighter blue/violet toners, like the T11, T14, T18, etc. because I think those are more for achieving platinum and to color-correct bright orange/yellow (I.E can leave you with a gray cast if you aren't ORANGE, based on Youtube videos I watched). So I picked up T28 Natural Blonde and used a 10 Vol toner because I was depositing color and didn't need lift. (If you use 20 Vol don't be surprised if you don't get the result you're aiming for if you don't take into account that it will lift your hair. 10 Vol is plenty strong enough for toning). I was mostly aiming to cover the bright yellow.

Left on for about 20 minutes until the highlights turned dark. I was nervous after I got out of the shower and my hair was wet because I thought they looked more red or orange somehow, but I didn't have very good lighting and now that its dry I LOVE the result. My highlights are now a sort of dark honey color, there is still some warmth though, which I am ok with. They look much better than they did and more blended. I do think that if you have orange or need more hardcore toning this probably won't be strong enough for you. It's pretty subtle but did tone down the yellow and was gentle on my hair. Quality product and inexpensive.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This works great on yellow hair, tones it perfectly! A lot of people are using it on orange hair and complaining that it doesn't work. This is a violet toner so it only works on yellow hair. Violet only cancels out yellow/slightly brassy hair so it will not work on orange. Orange is opposite to blue on the color wheel, so you want to get a BLUE toner for orange hair. Wella T-14 will work great for that.

Good luck!

on 2/8/2015 6:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Used this inT10 to tone yellow/orange bleached hair, I put it on dry hair and left it on for 25 minutes, it took some of those horrible tones but I don't think it was as effective as using regular hair color, it gave me a rash anywhere it touched my skin even though it doesn't have any PPD. Took the fluorescent color out and made it look more natural but that was it. I washed it with shampoo since I didn't want those chemicals on me and deep conditioned. Will go back to toning with any blonde Colorsilk.
Update: fries my ends like nothing else.

Previously used Wella's T18 and it barely did anything to my hair. After two uses, it left my hair (previously neon orange) pale yellow, then golden blonde. I had left it on for at least 40 minutes each time and always saw only a minimal difference. I left this on golden blonde hair for 7 and a half minutes. Ash blonde, definitely. No question about it. If I left this on any longer it would have made my hair silver. This toner MEANS BUSINESS. Highly recommended!

on 12/22/2014 3:45:00 PM

This is HG. I tried other products before and nothing works like this. I am reviewing the T14 (silver lady). My hair is a level 8-9, dyed and highlighted (at home), natural color is a dark ash blonde. I have short, fine, overprocessed hair. I mixed the toner with a 20 developer (generic drugstore brand) and did my whole head at once. Left it for 7-8 minutes (i stayed in front of the mirror to check) and after 2-3 minutes my hair APPEARED a darker, ashy/silvery blond. I freaked out, but didn't rinse, as i know it can do that sometimes. After i saw that i was starting to get too silvery (8 minutes) i rinsed without shampooing. I blowdried my hair and it is a GORGEOUS shade a light ash blonde, very beautiful, i couldn't be happier.

Pros:
cheap (2 for 8$ online + shipping)
easy to mix (1:2 ratio)
easy to apply, not runny
No bad smell
Easy to rinse
Beautiful results in no time
Roots (virgin hair) are blended as well =)

Cons:
You have to wait in front of the mirror bcz it goes fast
it's a little freaky to see your hair turning dark and silvery....I ALMOST rinsed
My hair is short and i had just enough product
If your hair is darker than a level 8 and you want a light blonde, you might want to lift some more before using this toner.

Overall, this is HG. I am glad i ordered 2!!!

on 11/7/2014 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Alot of people are giving this a bad review, but they arent using it correctly. You need to have lightened your hair to a light yellow blonde. No product will bring your hair from red to blonde, its not magic you must know what youre doing. This and wellas t18 are my go to toners for cancelling out brassiness/yellow tones in blonde hair.

on 8/4/2014 10:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Used in a salon where I used to go - to counteract brassiness and neatralize ceratin colors.
Very good products line and I never had any issues. Mid-priced - not cheap but not expensive either.

Reliable.

on 4/2/2014 12:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this after a friend dared me to dye my hair red for a party. After following the instructions very carefully and applying as needed i found that it did not work as promised. I have long thick brown hair and all that this product did was give it a slight redish tinge. It was also streaky and only affected some parts of my hair. Next day spent three quarters of an hour in the shower attempting to wash it out. Didnt work, so i had to go to school looking really weird. Nothing special and i wouldnt recommend.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This review is for T15 in pale beige blonde on BROWNISH hair :). My goal is to go back to my natural after dying my hair dark brown for the last 5 years. I left my hair to grow out for about 7 months and decided I want to make the blending of my roots with the rest look more natural. So I did balayage highlights at home. I bleached my hair twice in 2 months and dyed over it both times with a medium ash blonde dye. This still didn't help me get the orange tones out and in turn, there was a very strong yellow tint to my hair. In some lights it looked nice ad golden, in others it looked yellow. So I researched a bunch of toners with everyone saying that a toner is only for very light blonde hair and not dark blonde (which is what the bottom of my hair was basically). So I mixed the Wella T15 with 20 developer and left it on my hair for 15 minutes. I did not put this on any roots that have grown out. My hair is now a nice ashy, light brown and I absolutely love it. Everything blednds together. The color might get lighter after a few washes but I plan on toning it again in a month to completely get rid of any spots I might have missed. I LOVE THIS TONER.

Popular Hair Color Products