Bumble & Bumble Thickening Spray

3.6

Water, Alcohol Denat., Isopropanol, Vp/Va Copolymer, Polyquaternium-11, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey, PPG-12-PEG-65 Lanolin Oil, Polysorbate 80, Sodium Chloride, Sorbic Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Eugenol, Limonene, Fragrance.

on 2/28/2015 11:51:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This stuff was a dud. I have fine hair, but a decent amount of it. It's super straight, super silky, doesn't like to hold style and desperately wants to be limp and flat. I'm always looking for body and products to help a style actually stay.

I'll start with the most glaring problem--IT BURNS! It makes my scalp feel like it's on fire! Not much more to elaborate on with that one.

So does this stinging liquid at least thicken? No. There was no discernible difference between styling with this and styling without it. I was using it with the Prep spray, Styling Creme, Does it All, and Thickening Dryspun Finish. My hair comes out the same with and without.

Glad I only bought the trial/travel size!

on 1/16/2015 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I received a few samples and bought the full size when I ran out. I wanted to review to let everyone know how I use this since a lot of people are having trouble making it work for their hair. I can only attest this method works for my fine long aging (thinning but not too bad), pretty healthy blonde hair. On towel dried hair, I use the bumble and bumble tonic spray first. I spray it in my hands, rub them together and distribute to bottom half of hair. Then I scrunch my hair to make sure it soaks in. Next I take a drop of the Rusk thermal serum with argan oil, rub it through my hands to warm it up and distribute to bottom and ends of hair. Then I brush my hair with the wet brush to get the tangles out and evenly distribute the two products. Finally, I take the thickening spray and spray it on my hands rub it once through my hands and apply it to my roots, underneath, at the ends.... Basically all over. I do this with my head up side down. And pick the spray through my hair with my fingers shaking my hair and pulling it at the roots to lift it like when I blow dry. Finally I blow dry my head upside down til it's almost dry. And use my round brush to finish it straight. I get the best volume and thickness. I think the Rusk thermal serum balances out any dryness cuz my hair always looks silly smooth. If I just use any serum on my hair without a volumizer, it lays flat. But using the thickening spray after my serum works best for me. I love their Tonic spray as well. I also love the Rusk thermal serum for my hair type too and I've tried every high end serum out there but I will save that for another review. So using the thickening spray after my serum helped me. I can see where people said its drying Cuz a lot of volumizing products are so you have to be careful. In the winter if I need to I just take half a drop of serum and use it on my hair when it's dry but I rarely need to. I just go over it again with the dryer and round brush in the morning cuz I wash my hair at night. I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week.

on 1/15/2015 12:13:00 AM

Gave me a VERY BAD hair day! I had heard about this for years, touted in beauty magazines as such a great hair-thickening product. I came across it while shopping at Sephora and decided to give it a try. The nice sales associate gave me a sample in a small container, and a separate sample of the B&B creme product as well. I have baby fine blonde hair and always have to use some sort of thickening product after towel-drying my hair. I ran the small sample through my hair while damp, then blow-dried as usual (with very little brushing). My hair felt very wispy, flyaway and static-y; the worst it's been in years. I tried to improve it with extra hairspray but to no avail. The next day I tried the creme version without much success, either. Though it didn't leave my hair so flyaway it did leave it greasy in some spots -- not a good combination for fine hair (I should find out the exact name to review elsewhere). Bottom line -- did nothing to improve the thickness or body of my fine hair and actually made it worse. Thank goodness I didn't have to waste $29 to give this product a try. Will stick with my Sebastian Texturizer.

on 1/5/2015 10:40:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Hate it. Makes my hair extremely dry and stiff. No wonder - it's full of alcohol denat. Smells awful. Can't stress enough how drying this stuff is. Can't believe how anyone can like it.

on 12/16/2014 9:48:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

My bottle says its a 'Thickening Hairspray' It can be misleading and you can use it the wrong way which makes it sticky and uncomfortable in the hair. I'm not saying there is a wrong or right way but definately can be the difference between a horrible product to a great one. This is not really a hairspray but more of a thickening volume spray best used with wet hair and blow dry.

This works great in wet (close to damp but not dripping wet) hair. Make sure you dont sprits too much because you can feel it in your hair and can be sticky. 1 spray on each area would do and then blow dry your hair. Combing or rubbing it in as you go.

I feel like a lot of bumble and bumble hair products work best with shorter hair eg. Surf Spray so I'm not sure if it will tangle your hair if you had extremely long hair. Certainly combing as you blow dry would help.

When I finish washing my hair, I wouldnt use anything in my hair because I like to keep my roots clean and clear ( I dont like the idea of products clogging my roots) But after blowdrying it, this is quite a light spray. It gives me volume, a little shine and fullness. It leaves your hair weightless. I really like how I cant feel anything in my hair after using it but I stil have thickness.
I would still use a hair treatment oil in the ends of my hair to keep the ends tame and frizz free.

The smell has some alcohol smell with a light sweet fragrance. I dont really enjoy the scent but I dont hate it. After spraying it, you cant smell it anymore so its nothing to worry about. It doesnt seem to dry out my hair but maybe because I'm using a oil treatment. I might not have use it long enough to feel any damage from the alcohol(if there is any) but I have very oily roots so maybe thats preventing my hair to dry out.

Overall, this is a great spray to thicken your hair but use it with wet hair. And a tip is to comb it while you blow dry your hair so it doesnt tangle and distribute it evenly.

All the experience I got was because I didnt spray too much in my hair. Its light and doesnt cake up in my roots or leave any residue.

Whats really great is that its easy to use, no need to wash it out, doesnt leave any feeling in my hair and makes my hair thicker + doesnt dry my hair out. Thats everything I wanted any cant find a product with all that in 1 product.

on 11/30/2014 8:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Got a deluxe sample of this bottle via Sephora. It helps thicken fine hair prior to blowdrying, however alone it does not work very well. I have used it along with mousse from Drybar and the mouse and spray combo works very well. Pleasant smell. It can also be used as finishing spray. I like it but don't love it...not repurchasing.

on 10/29/2014 5:48:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I love it! it really does icken my straight hair and blow drying does no longer give me boring pin straight hair! I use this along with B&B texture for more volume and texture overall perfect together! I like the smell when spraying it to my hair it does not smell like rubbing alcohol!! Also, I need only a few spritzes on my long hair so the bottle really lasts!! I would definitely recommend that to everyone with straight hair that need some volume

on 10/20/2014 10:32:00 PM

I've used this a couple of times and have mixed feelings...

It does seem to work as a thickener - I spray it onto my towel dried hair before blowdrying and do find that it gives me noticeably more thickness. I'm careful not to spray too much, as it does leave the hair a bit coarse - I average around 3 sprays each side on my shoulder length hair.

However, for my hair (Asian and straight but lacks volume), it's not a stand alone product - it doesn't provide any hold, so I also spray KMS Heat Flex spray before I blowdry. I then curl my hair with a curling iron and hop into bed!

Although it does thicken my hair, it's not enough to give me the body I need, so I put a sea salt spray on the roots in the morning to give my crown area an extra bit of lift.

I'll keep using it until the bottle is finished, but unsure about whether I'd buy it again. To its credit, it's quite a generous sized bottle, considering how little you need in each application, so it will last a while.

on 9/24/2014 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I got this as a sample with a purchase, and I surprisingly use it all the time. I have long, healthy hair, and it's good when I need to "put a little dirty in it" for styling. I haven't tried their mousse which is on my list to buy next, but I do use this with the tonic lotion, and my hair feels healthy, but not too smooth to style. And my hair looks pretty good when I spend the time to actually blow it out.

on 8/16/2014 7:11:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought a travel sized bottle of this thickening spray when I bought full sizes of the shampoo and conditioner. My hair is fine, shoulder-length, coloured and foiled blonde, with my natural light blonde colour underneath. I have always had trouble finding products that will give me volume and body that lasts throughout the day and night. Sadly this spray is not the answer to my prayers. A little goes a long way and it's easy to overdo it and end up with sticky hair. Applied sparingly it still makes my hair knotty and dries it out. It doesn't really add any volume or body to my hair. Not a big fan of the smell either. I'm glad I only bought a small bottle. Won't repurchase.

Popular Styling Products