December 20, 2014 | 1352 users online

Styling Products - L.A. Looks Styling Gel

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2014 10:39:00 AM More reviews by andrea127wv2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this gel for YEARS! I have naturally curly, frizzy, annoying hair. I've tried every hair gel that exists and then tried it all a second time paired with a second product that is just for the frizziness. I continue coming back to this. I put this in my hair while my hair is wet. My hair is just below my shoulders and thick. I use a golf ball sized amount, bend so that my head and hair are upside down, and then cover may hair root to tip front and back. I wrap my hair in a towel and go about the rest of my "getting ready" routine. Once I'm ready to go, I unwrap my hair, straighten my part and go. While my hair is drying, it does not look as though my curls are going to dry and be perfect, but they do every single time! No frizz. ..perfect curls...and lasts all day! The really cool thing about this product is that you can choose how "crunchy" or soft you want your hair. Once it has all dried, sometimes I discover that I used a bit too much and have some "crunchy" curls....All I have to do is work that piece of hair as if I was "crunching" it and it softens the gel. The curls last all day and even survive the night for a second day of excellent curl and shine. It's the biggest size bottle and still the cheapest. And on really good days, I can find it at the local dollar tree for a dollar!! This product is worth it's weight I gold....and I can sometimes find it for a dollar. Awesome!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2012 9:47:00 PM More reviews by buffydog15

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I read the reviews on here after deciding it was time to give my hair a break from daily flat ironing. My hair was breaking, dry and dead on the ends... yeah. It needed to stop. So I began looking for a good gel, and I stumbled on this as a highly rated gel. I was hesitant to buy this, even though it's super cheap, because it said nothing about curls or scrunching (btw I got the sports gel, the blue one). I went out and bought it anyway and wow. I get COMPLIMENTS on my natural hair-- more than I ever did when I was straightening my hair. Not only does it make my hair look great and calms down the frizziness, it's alcohol free so I can just rinse my hair and it goes away (second day hair- yes please!).My friend uses the polish perfect one I believe and she loves it too. And the price- wow. $3 for a bottle that'll last forever. I love this stuff. If you are looking for a good gel to scrunch your hair to perfection, give this one a shot. For the price you can't go wrong.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2011 4:29:00 PM More reviews by Verbena

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I highly recommend the new LA Looks Polish Perfect gel (purple). Ive been researching and trying products for years for my naturally curly hair to no avail. Go figure the cheapest, impulse buy turns out to be the absolute best styling product I have ever used. It leaves my hair totally frizz free and shiny, and with soft clumped curls. Definitely Holy Grail!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/20/2011 3:12:00 AM More reviews by arnaki

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I tried the yellow gel and didn't like it. Way too thick and the smell was horrible. I love that it doesn't have silicones and I know many other curly hair girls love it, but it just wasn't for me. I was going to try to mix it with other products to see if I could get it to work but I just got rid of it because of the smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2011 2:15:00 PM More reviews by Schweet_One

i have naturally curly hair and I bought this because it is "curly girl" method approved. I bought this, took my hair down, wet my hair a little, worked in some gel, and was planning on putting it back up into a bun.. but my hair looked so good I had to wear it down !! love this, sad i havent tried it before..

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2011 11:12:00 AM More reviews by claudiita305

Best gel I have ever tried , even better then high end products. It gave my straight hair pretty waves when I scrunched it and holds a sleek ponytail, even in hot weather. The only thing that sucks for me is ,having bought it while visisting family in the states, now that I am back in canada I cannot find it anywhere not even walmart !
So if your American and can find this take advantage, its cheap and amazing for all hair types .

rated 2 of 5 on 3/26/2011 11:35:00 PM More reviews by NeverEverGuess00

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got mine for oer a year and its more than half full..

it looks great once i put it on but after an hour or so, it doesn't work anymore. my hair went back to straight, the gel became to be a layer on my hair...not sticky but its just there..which it bothers me:(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2011 9:39:00 PM More reviews by kissjacksparrow

I picked this up because it is a "Curly Girl" method go-to. I'm using the Sports gel, but honestly, I would use any from the line up. I would really like to try cashmere curls, but I can't find it anywhere.

It's great to be able to find awesome, silicone-free products that are easily accessible and work great. It rinses out very easily, so no build up here.

I'll be honest, it isn't my first choice in a gel. Let's face it, there is nothing fancy or luxurious about this, and it looks like it belongs in a 15-year-old-boy'd bathroom. It just isn't "appealing" and if it weren't for being told it was a good product, I would completely pass it over int he drugstore.

But no doubt, this stuff exceeds expectations and delivers results.

I use while hair is still wet, after applying my leave in conditioner, and I either "plop", diffuse or air dry my hair. The results are beautiful, defined, shiny, frizz free curls. If I am blow-drying, I use a little extra, because it does seems to evaporate or lose hold a little more quickly. I wouldn't use it full strength on dry hair - that makes it too crunchy.

As long as I use a leave in first, I hardly ever have a problem with crunch. If I do, it is easy to scrunch out once dried - this is known as 'loosening the gel cast'. It provides great hold, but doesn't make my hair look or feel like it's covered in product. It remains touchable soft (but still, keep your hand out of my hair!) and never sticky.

I wished the packing was better. When it gets down to the bottom it falls over a lot. It needs a lager base so It can stand up 'upside down' without falling. But hey, I can deal. I'm considering transferring it to a pump anyways.

The smell is fine, it's clean and non offensive, but I am such a product junkie, that I want it to have a strong smell that is inxoticating like higher end products. But I guess it's better that is doesn't, making it unisex, so that I only have to buy 1 gel for SO and I.

I also wished it was clear - die is really unnecessary.

It's cheap, Like $2 or less for a HUGE bottle, and sometimes you can get lucky and find the ones with a 75 cents off now coupon. (the lady at Walmart looked at me like I was a cheap-ass when I made her use it, but hey, that gets me closer to a latte, right?)

So, heck yes, I would buy this again. It is everything it is made out it be. Try it, you'll be surprised.

Here's a tip: Need a midday pick me up, or a way to revive second day curls? Mix a spray bottle with LA Looks gel & purified water (if using from the tap, boil for 1-hour to kill any bacteria) and you have an instant light weight spray gel without having to buy a second product. I like to add a little lavender and rosemary essential oils to help cleanse and deodorize. :)

Update: I recently bought the Curl Gel (light blue, level 8 hold) which I really like, and the New Nutra-Curl "w/ avocado oil" (which isn't listed int he ingredients) and I am not liking it so much - I will write full reviews after I have used them some more.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2011 12:18:00 PM More reviews by neddykapoozle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I buy a giant bottle of the sport gel (the blue one) and use it to keep my curls nice and frizz free. It's dirt cheap and has nice squeeze flip top. Leaves my hair soft and never crunchy. I scrunch it into sopping wet hair after any curl enhancing stuff I want to use, or mix it in with them.

You don't need expensive gel for good results!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2010 5:56:00 AM More reviews by hamsley72

I have to say I have many gels. This is like two bucks at walmart. I buy the sport one. It's blue I have used it for many years. I always go back to it. It works great has a sorta blueberry sport scent. I have used the best brands and I have used this one. This has never let me down. It is sticky as all gels are at first. It drys clean and clear. When i am breing a snob I will pick up something I ask my strylist about. An it either lets me down and smells great or works just as good but is 100 times more. So yeah I love this gel.