November 27, 2014 | 996 users online

Eye Shadow - Everyday Minerals - Eyeshadows All

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2013 2:49:00 PM More reviews by dddoxie

grumblegrumblegrumble...
Never tried EDM eyeshadows before, so I made a purchase of about 8 or 10 'baby' sized shadows. The colors look beautiful online, but looks ARE deceiving.

These are right there with Lily Lolo eyeshadows in formulation and pigmentation. Very poor in both categories. The only one I really liked was Nutmeg as a transition/crease shade. All others are misses. Will not repurchase and will most likely end up getting rid of the ones I have.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/4/2012 10:04:00 AM More reviews by lilywolf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Like a previous reviewer said, all of the EM eye shadows I ever saw are just to glittery. Too glittery to even see the color!

But I have another, bigger problem with them. After I first tried a new pan of eyeshadow, Jasmine Tea I guess, in a few days I got very severe cystic acne on my EYELID. I did not make a connection then, but I didn't use any eye shadow either for a while. Two weeks ago I reached for another EM eye shadow, and I immediately developed cystic acne under my left eye.

The story continues, I only had an EM corrector handy, so I put it on the spot and some other blemishes before going out, and every place I touched with it got inflamed like, well... like hell. I don't know what EM puts in their products, but apart from their fairly good powder makeup they will not touch my face. Ever.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/3/2012 3:20:00 PM More reviews by mararum

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've brought their foundations, blushes, and finishing powders; their eye shadows are the worst of their products. They have no staying power and are so, so glittery.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2012 12:15:00 PM More reviews by jkpetite

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

So I've given EDM e/s about as much of a chance as I could. End result, I'm glad all the E/S I have were free samples or part of a promo where they were given to me for free. I would be PISSED if I paid for money for these. It's quite disappointing because I've been a loyal EDM customer since 2007 and am a huge fan of their foundations, blushes, and brushes. I just can't get on board with the rollerball applicator - it makes it too difficult to get an even application not to mention there's a ton of fallout because there is nothing to control how much actual product comes out. The pigmentation is fair, at best, and the shadows do not wear well, even with primer. I've found that within a few hours of applying, the shadows start to look blotchy and uneven. No bueno. These are going up on the swap list.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/24/2011 8:03:00 PM More reviews by IccGirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I once bought 10 sample shadows at one time as a part of some package/deal. I pretty much regret buying everyone of them. Oasis was my favorite color (it's a glittery bronze color) but it has absolutely no staying power on my skin, even with primer! I brush it on my eyelids and it's gone after I blink a few times. It is also very hard to pack on color no matter what brush or method I try. I also find them really messy even though I use their foundation and finishing powder all the time.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2011 9:32:00 PM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Of the 30 shades I have tried, the only EM eyeshadow I recommend is "In the Garden" applied wet as an eyeshadow or eyeliner, and perhaps "Cypress" and "Mistletoe".

QUALITY
The matts are too chalky, the shimmers too sheer with glitter that goes everywhere, the shades too dirty to flatter fair/pale skin. The shades all have a "muddy greige" base (greys/beiges) and are disappointingly dull and similar to each other. Very little color payoff if stroked on with a brush like a normal eyeshadow. They look better 'pressed' and pushed into the skin with a 'firm' brush or finger. Try a firm synthetic hair brush designed for cream eyeshadows, then blend afterward if needed with a fluffy sable eyeshadow brush. Bobbi Brown's cream eyeshadow brush, or EM's eyeshadow brush are both suitable. No staying power on their own, you will need to either use with an eyelid primer or base underneath, or mix with water and apply wet .

PACKAGING
The packaging for these all eyeshadows is a huge mess (jars) or expensive, messy and and overkill (roll-on tubes).
1. For the jars. The sifters trap pigment up higher and the cheap jars and lids don't gel together properly. The pigments travel over the tops of the rims and into the threads of the jars and lids, so that when you unscrew a lid (even before you take it off!), the shimmers and pigments puff out everywhere. Not good if you are wearing white or black or have a light carpet! If you never take the jars anywhere so they are always sitting flat and motionless on a table then opening a jar is less messy but who wants to do that? If you remove the sifter, or better yet tip the whole powder into an empty jar from another brand then these eyeshadows travel better. I put mine into clean labelled "The Body Shop" sample jars and now they are much tider to use.
2. The Roll-on Tubes. They sound fab but they aren't in practice. Applying is messy. If you roll on the eyeshadow directly to the eyelid it goes on thickly plastered on and ugly. If you dab at the roller ball with a brush it is awkward. The best thing is to roll onto your fingers and apply with fingers, then adjust with a brush. They are also not very hygienic as you can't wash a ball like you can a brush!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/6/2011 11:14:00 PM More reviews by giasabine

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have really tried to like these eye shadows, but no matter what I have tried, they look like mud on me by lunch. I have very oily eyelids and I have tried using foundation underneath, finish powders, even bought a very expensive Urban Decay eye shadow primer - basically any suggestion given to me. Urban Decay helped some, but not well enough to warrant that much money for a primer. I loved EDM's color selection, but I just can't make them work for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/13/2011 10:10:00 PM More reviews by zazubinx

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

EM shadows go on better and last longer with a primer, however, even with a primer they aren't the most strongly pigmented shadows. That said I still really like some EM colors like Smokey Pink and Diary. I'll continue to use what I have on hand, but once I run out I probably won't bother ordering from EM again. Especially since they've gotten rid of their smaller tubs and replaced them with those useless rollerball applicators.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/23/2011 2:04:00 PM More reviews by psych12

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used to be a strong supporter of Everyday Minerals. I still use their makeup, and I do love their base and correctors in general.

I've changed my mind for two reasons:
1) When I complained about the packaging, which I've detailed below, they never responded.
2) The new packaging for their correctors and eye shadows are truly awful. They used to come in small round tubs. The new ones come in chic-looking tubes with roller ball applicators.
In the realm of mineral makeup, roller balls are useless because you need to be able to control the amount that goes on your skin. Mineral makeup is strong stuff, and with a roller ball, you have zero control over how much gets rolled onto your skin. It might work better with lighter colors, but with anything dark, the roller ball is only going to give you the "crack whore" look.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/19/2011 1:42:00 AM More reviews by ransomnote

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am kind of surprised that I have spent so much time trying to make these work for me. I guess I really wanted to fit the whole idea of mineral makeup into my life and I suspect that I am not a mineral kinda girl. Perhaps it's my age but I just don't want to spend this kind of time. It's like the difference between going to a self serve cafeteria (EDM) or being waited on in a full service restaurant (Traditional pressed MU). I can spend alot of time looking at EDM eye shadow online and be taken by the winsome names they give their MU (Love Letters, Ballet Slippers etc) and carefully order it after much consideration only to find it is too chalky, too sheer, too cool, too warm, has more shimmer than I realized and isn't the color I thought it was. I bought EZ PREZ from Coastal Scents and pressed two unlikely-to-work shades into little pans to give it my last shot but I think I just wasted time, again, on this line. I have ordered many samples by now. Tonight I finally got up the nerve to open all those other tiny little samples I have been trying so hard to like, and emptying them in the trash so I can use the little sample container to carry lipstick in my handbag. No more powder mess on the counter-top. No more pushing myself to make-it-work when I can just buy makeup that works hard for ME instead. I'll try the two I pressed and probably throw them out - ending my involvement with EDM eye shadow. I am glad so many people enjoy the line and love the offerings...I just can't figure out why I tried so hard to be one of them. There's enough variety out there to please us all.