October 23, 2014 | 1428 users online

Loose Powders - Lancome - Absolue Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2014 1:32:00 PM More reviews by A88A

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Full disclosure: I used to work for Lancome. I didn't review a single Lancome product during my time with them as a Beauty Advisor, as I felt like writing reviews for products I sold was a huge conflict of interest. Now that I'm doing something else, and have no dog in this fight, so to speak, I want to give a shout out to one of the finest products Lancome makes. This is the best loose powder I've ever used. The shade I use, Absolute Pearl, is one of the two lightest natural finish shades, along with Absolute Ecru Light. Absolute Peche and Absolute Golden are better suited for highlighting, as they contain a large dose of sparkle. I also own and love NARS Light Reflecting Loose Setting Powder, as well as Chanel's Poudre Universelle Libre loose powder, but this is my favorite out of the bunch. It's the most finely milled talc in the whole universe, and every powder you use after it will feel like sand. It gives the face the most beautiful soft focus finish I've ever seen, and never looks dry or powdery. NARS and Chanel both give a lovely finish, too, but this powder is a bit smoother and more comfortable. It has no mattifying properties like the NARS, but it blurs pores and fine lines just as well, while feeling a bit more soothing on the skin. It's actually a bit more finely milled than the decidedly smooth Chanel, but the lightest shade, Absolute Pearl, is a bit darker and more pink than Chanel's lightest shade. It doesn't really matter, however, as the light shades are more or less translucent, and don't really offer anything in the way of color or coverage. None of the natural finish shades contain as much shimmer as the Chanel or the NARS. The only negative point I can make is that it's absurdly expensive for the amount you get. Luckily, I ordered two backups on my last gratis order. Hopefully I'll be set for a while.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2013 5:46:00 PM More reviews by KatiAnnBeautyDesign

I see a lot of people on here are older that like it and younger that don't. I'm 26 and usually have oily skin but my thyroid has changed that and now it's combination. I originally purchased this for my 83 year old great grandmother along with lancome age foundation. When I got home I was trying to get ready and find my powder but couldn't so I decided to just use this, we'll I'm glad I did, do to have I g oily skin in the T zone my pores are big and ladies I'm a makeup artist and I'm still trying to figure my skin out because its always changing. Trying to fight my pores, acne,and oily skin has always been hard. I always went for matte everything but to tell you the truth it always made me look older and like I had makeup on, and I have tried every brand in the world no matter the price but I was just never happy, sure they covers well and some lasted all day but my pores would look big and no matter how little or what products I used it would cake in the creases of my nose and on my chin and cheeks. Well I finally decided that what looks natural and youthful is a radiant glow to the skin, not a doll pancake face. I still use a almost full coverage foundation lancome 24 one, but so I won't cake I use concealer to hide acne kat von d tattoo cover. Both are water based so it won't break out my side tube skin and u have to use likes with likes so I use a water based primer as well. But to give me that gorgeous flawless youthful glow I use this powder over all of that and bam the pores, bags, wrinkle and everything else is gone, I use the shimmer one in peche and god it's gorgeous. Look younger ladies this is ok to use with oily skin because instead of later in the day having oily glow its powder instead and you can't tell the difference , And FYI you have to blot just as much with this as u do with the thickest of matte oil absorbing foundations which is only like maybe once or twice later in the day and I live in Deep South Texas were its like a sauna outside almost all year around. Point being ladies Is that that matte pastie foundation makes you look like your wearing a pound of makeup and older and fake. Take off your makeup and walk around for a day and look in the mirror and see how youthful glow your skin look natural and not matte like a mask. You can fight the oily and still look radiant. Oh and by the way my great grandmother loved it so much after getting over the shock of the price that two more of my grandmothers own it now. It's freaking amazing I mean the pores are just gone.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2012 12:35:00 AM More reviews by KittySkyfish

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Absolue is a tinted microfine loose powder available in four natural finish shades and two shimmery highlighter shades. The natural finish shades are: Pearl, Ecru Light, Ecru Medium, and Almond. The shimmer shades are: Golden, a medium pinky-peach (quite blushy) and ... wait for it... Peche, a fair golden shade with no peach tones at all. What were they smoking? SMH.
The Absolue line is marketed toward normal to dry skin types. Don't expect any significant oil control with this loose powder. I've used this powder on and off for over a year and it's one of my favorite loose powders in the winter, when I need something very delicate and non-drying.
My biggest love for Absolue is the fact it diminishes the appearance of surface irregularities (by cutting back on some of my skin's shine) without any powdery tightness or over-mattifying. It's extremely finely milled - finer than Chanel or Laura Mercier. It's a great powder since a small amount goes a long way and the tint keeps the powder from taking on an ashy finish. I find that colorless or pale translucent powders dull the appearance of my foundation. Sweeping this on, it looks completely invisible without any ashy dullness. The natural shades are great for anytime, the shimmer shades are best as highlighters unless you prefer a shimmery finish to your foundation.
I own Pearl and Golden (the shimmery pinky-peach highlighter). Pearl is used all-over to set and a tiny bit of Golden is used on my cheeks and brow bone to spot illuminate, add warmth, and blend in blush.
At $56 for .35 oz, this is about the most expensive loose powder around. Chantecaille's loose powder is $62 for 1.2 ounces. La Mer is $65 for .88 oz. By Terry is $69 for .52 oz.. If you go through powder fast and like to apply it liberally, be aware that you don't get much compared to other brands.

Attached are some pictures comparing Pearl and Golden. Pearl is really gobbed on my wrist because otherwise it wouldn't show up. Golden, not a lot was needed to bring out the sparkle. Select "continued" to see the pics...

continued >>

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2012 4:33:00 PM More reviews by dariagabriel

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The retail price of this is $56 but I got mine for $22 at an outlet. At first when I tried it on my hand I didn't like it. It seemed too shimery. But when I applied it onto my face it gave me such a beautiful glow! I'm medium - tan skin and I got mine in the peche color which is too light I thought but it actually blends in with my tan skin tone and acts as a highlighter. It's lightweight and makes my skin feel so soft. Love this product .

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2012 4:52:00 PM More reviews by joy2uandme

I bought this in golden after deliberating for quite awhile to splurge on this costly powder. When I got it I was initially pleased that the container was so large until I noted that it wouldn't fit in my vanity--now what was I going to do with it? Puff included was indeed hard and cheap for the price but my biggest surprise came with the intense glitter of the powder. This was highlighter disco ball stuff and not finishing powder like I was expecting. I tried it on expecting it to calm down once on my skin but nope hours later and my face was lit up like a Christmas tree--pretty like tinsel but not what I was hoping for as I bought it for a finishing powder. This will have to go back.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2011 12:36:00 PM More reviews by bleuday

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Right now, this is my go to powder.

Been using it for a month and a half, and I love it. Love the light and radiance it gives, without shimmer. I purchased online, and when I opened the box, I thought that it would be too orange and dark (Absolute Ecru Light). Almost didn't even try it.

Wow. Was I wrong. What the pigment does is warm up my skin and bring luminosity to it, I don't know how or why this stuff morphs from a nasty near orange to a perfect finish in my very fair, blue based skin, but it is divine.

I've been searching for a good finishing powder for awhile. I was a long time user of the Prescriptives compact that had the shimmer finish, but that has bee impossible to find (pretty certain it's been discontinued). Other powders have been going on too matte for my over forty skin. This is so finely milled that, as others have written below, it just melts into the skin.

After 40, we need light without shimmer, luminosity.

This is working perfectly for me. Color is perfect, does what I want, brings a luminous finish to my skin, sets my foundation, great staying power, doesn't look masky or cakey, doesn't require a delicate hand for a fantastic finish. Great big yes on repurchasing.

For this week, at least.

p.s. I wouldn't even dream of using that worthless puff for application. Just use a big fluffy brush or kabuki. I see some reviewers are basing their criticism on the entire package as sold: my review if for the powder only. Never bothered with the puff.

Also, it seems to me that many of the reviewers who love this are older, those who don't are younger. Perhaps a consideration in your decision.

Lastly, I am vain, I didn't look at the price. I wanted something that worked. :-)

UPDATE 6/27/2014: I purchased yet another jar of this stuff, for all the reasons I mentioned above. Since finding it over three years ago, this is still the only face powder that I use. Formula's the same as it was, and it still works wonderful.

That's some kind of record for me.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2010 12:13:00 AM More reviews by kemingj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

Great product, long lasting effect, gives skin clean and matt feeling for long hours. Very natural color tones.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2009 7:52:00 PM More reviews by luvbeauty27

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

i really like this powder a lot , looks good over scarring or wrinkles . I wish they had a lighter shade the pearl is not pearl its kinda orange but i used darker shades when i was tanner and i loved them

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2008 1:38:00 AM More reviews by STEPHANIESUN

This is the worst loose powder I 've ever bought. It looks unnatural on my face as the powder does not melt with the foundation well and just sit on it. When I look closely at my face, I can clearly see those powders. After hours of wear, it become worse: some powders slide off and others dry the skin. It does have sparkling effect and does not bother me though. The overall finish on the face is just not good enough to justify its price tag. I returned it to Nordstrom for good after a week. My HG is Dior and Paul&Joe.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2007 11:19:00 PM More reviews by maren

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this when I saw how great it looked on my sister-one of those "what have you done, you look great" moments after not seeing her for a couple months. We are in our 40's. It is hard to put in words, but it just makes both our complexions look younger and brighter. I am very happy with it, as is she. I have comination skin, she has normal to dry. $50 is a ridiculous amount for powder, I agree. Buy hey, at my age if it looks good, I buy it!