Bumble & Bumble Tonic Shampoo

3.8

on 7/17/2014 11:25:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Bought an 8oz bottle from the Estee Lauder company store last week for $10 bucks - always interested in trying bumble and bumble products. I think it's a good shampoo, but not for my hair type. My hair is still recovering from being bleached blonde a few years back, and the tonic shampoo totally dried out my ends and made my split ends more apparent. I wish I could like this product! The smell is invigoration and a cool tingling sensation to the scalp. Probably will use once in a blue moon as a clarifying shampoo.

on 4/6/2014 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I am always on the search for a Bumble & Bumble shampoo I actually like! I am a fan of their conditioners and styling products. However their shampoos have so far been a disappointment for me. I tried the Tonic shampoo because it is supposed to be good for dry scalp/dandruff, and in the winter I have trouble with dry skin. The tea tree in this is supposed to be effective (and I like tea tree products anyway).

Pros: I like the smell of this, though I am sure others would find it medicinal. I like the small of tea tree, which is definitely strong in this shampoo! I also found this to do its job as far as cleaning my hair. I would follow this with B&B's leave-in/rinse out conditioner (which I would usually rinse out).

Cons: This shampoo is both too harsh and also not ultimately effective. It cleans hair but is a bit harsh: it had a stripping effect and felt like it was harsh on my hair-- and I have very healthy, undamaged hair that can stand up to a lot! I sometimes conditioned twice in order to make up for it. I have seen other users say they use this in rotation with other, gentler shampoos, which is probably the only way that anyone could use this regularly. On the reverse, I also didn't think this was effective at combatting dandruff or a problematic scalp. This didn't help with my winter dandruff, nor did it control my oily scalp. So, it was lose/lose for me.

Overall: I would not repurchase. I didn't hate it so I didn't return it. I will use it in the summer until it is finished! As I mentioned, I like the smell; but this is too expensive to not really DO anything productive for my hair or skin.

on 1/22/2014 5:53:00 PM

Cleans very well...and my hair gets oily pretty quick. I used this along with the Sunday shampoo (and used it on Sundays only lol) and my hair was very much saved from the oil devils. It was pricey though.

If you're looking for something to clean very well this is your product.

on 6/2/2012 12:15:00 AM

So, I got this really cheap (4.50 for the 8 oz bottle, which is pricey for normal shampoo but good for this). I have moderate psoriasis and have to say, it was a lot more under control after using this shampoo. Also, it's expensive but it lasted me a good five months (I wash my hair every other day). I just used a little bit on my scalp and it felt nice and looked shiny and had a nice moisture balance. Completely recommend it if you have dandruff or psoriasis but might be a bit pricey for most people.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

Dried out my scalp! Smells nice. Not using this again!

on 5/30/2011 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

One star off for price and the fact that it tends to leak when I fly. However, I'm addicted to Tonic because it's the only shampoo I've found that managed to get rid of my dandruff. I don't know what it is, but it clarifies my hair really well. I happen to like the smell - it smells like tea tree oil with an herbal touch - but I know that it might turn some people off.

I really wanted this product to work as most normal shampoos dry my scalp out and make it flakey. My normal product is a solid shampoo bar from LUSH but from time to time I get the urge to join the rest of the human race and use a normal shampoo! jSadly, I had to stop using it because after a few days my scalp was the worst it's ever been! I had to buy the 'Snake' bar from lush as an emergency rescue remedy (which worked really well by the way, but it's just for occasional use and not a shampoo). Sorry B&B, but this one is not for me, though I do really like your Seaweed conditioner.
A word to other people as well, becasue of the tea tree oil content, you may also find that this product makes your hair greasy too.

i LOVE the smell. i used this a couple of times and am storing it for warmer weather. i actually have dry, frizzy hair but this stuff actually makes it tamer. weird because it isn't suggested for my hair type. i think this stuff is amazing!

on 11/14/2010 5:07:00 PM

I only purchased a small bottle of the Tonic Shampoo because I wasn't sure if I would like it. I'm glad I didn't purchase the larger one. The smell is VERY strong. I am unable to use it because of the smell. It does lather up well and it cleaned my hair and particularly my scalp nicely but I can't get around the smell. A shame, perhaps if the scent was lighter I could use it.

However since I initially wrote this review, I tried the Seaweed Shampoo. I now use these two together in tandem, Tonic first, Seaweed second. Big difference! Please read my review of the Seaweed Shampoo. I will continue to use the Tonic shampoo. But initially I didn't like it.

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

I am on a never ending search for a shampoo that not only gives my hair incredible shine but makes it feel clean as well. Tonic does just that. Every time I use this shampoo my hair looks commercial worthy. My hair is so shiny that my boyfriend could not even believe it. I love the natural scent to it and the tingly feeling it makes on the scalp while using it. The only downsides are that If you have very thick and long hair ( like I do) this shampoo does not lather up enough and you have to use a lot to cover your whole head which can become expensive because the bottle is fairly small and the lettering on the outside chips when wet so be prepared to have little black flecks all over you and your shower.

Popular Shampoos