April 21, 2014 | 1027 users online

Shampoo - Bumble & Bumble - Tonic Shampoo

rated 3 of 5 on 4/6/2014 11:37:00 PM More reviews by beautylush77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am always on the search for a Bumble & Bumble shampoo I actually like! I am a fan of their conditioners and styling products. However their shampoos have so far been a disappointment for me. I tried the Tonic shampoo because it is supposed to be good for dry scalp/dandruff, and in the winter I have trouble with dry skin. The tea tree in this is supposed to be effective (and I like tea tree products anyway).

Pros: I like the smell of this, though I am sure others would find it medicinal. I like the small of tea tree, which is definitely strong in this shampoo! I also found this to do its job as far as cleaning my hair. I would follow this with B&B's leave-in/rinse out conditioner (which I would usually rinse out).

Cons: This shampoo is both too harsh and also not ultimately effective. It cleans hair but is a bit harsh: it had a stripping effect and felt like it was harsh on my hair-- and I have very healthy, undamaged hair that can stand up to a lot! I sometimes conditioned twice in order to make up for it. I have seen other users say they use this in rotation with other, gentler shampoos, which is probably the only way that anyone could use this regularly. On the reverse, I also didn't think this was effective at combatting dandruff or a problematic scalp. This didn't help with my winter dandruff, nor did it control my oily scalp. So, it was lose/lose for me.

Overall: I would not repurchase. I didn't hate it so I didn't return it. I will use it in the summer until it is finished! As I mentioned, I like the smell; but this is too expensive to not really DO anything productive for my hair or skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2014 5:53:00 PM More reviews by kfarmer2012

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Cleans very well...and my hair gets oily pretty quick. I used this along with the Sunday shampoo (and used it on Sundays only lol) and my hair was very much saved from the oil devils. It was pricey though.

If you're looking for something to clean very well this is your product.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2012 12:15:00 AM More reviews by domin007

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So, I got this really cheap (4.50 for the 8 oz bottle, which is pricey for normal shampoo but good for this). I have moderate psoriasis and have to say, it was a lot more under control after using this shampoo. Also, it's expensive but it lasted me a good five months (I wash my hair every other day). I just used a little bit on my scalp and it felt nice and looked shiny and had a nice moisture balance. Completely recommend it if you have dandruff or psoriasis but might be a bit pricey for most people.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/31/2012 6:28:00 PM More reviews by princessmariv

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Dried out my scalp! Smells nice. Not using this again!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2011 1:09:00 AM More reviews by SkySapphire

One star off for price and the fact that it tends to leak when I fly. However, I'm addicted to Tonic because it's the only shampoo I've found that managed to get rid of my dandruff. I don't know what it is, but it clarifies my hair really well. I happen to like the smell - it smells like tea tree oil with an herbal touch - but I know that it might turn some people off.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/18/2011 11:50:00 AM More reviews by ElisabethJanePickup

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really wanted this product to work as most normal shampoos dry my scalp out and make it flakey. My normal product is a solid shampoo bar from LUSH but from time to time I get the urge to join the rest of the human race and use a normal shampoo! jSadly, I had to stop using it because after a few days my scalp was the worst it's ever been! I had to buy the 'Snake' bar from lush as an emergency rescue remedy (which worked really well by the way, but it's just for occasional use and not a shampoo). Sorry B&B, but this one is not for me, though I do really like your Seaweed conditioner.
A word to other people as well, becasue of the tea tree oil content, you may also find that this product makes your hair greasy too.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2011 5:42:00 PM More reviews by AmandaGriffin

i LOVE the smell. i used this a couple of times and am storing it for warmer weather. i actually have dry, frizzy hair but this stuff actually makes it tamer. weird because it isn't suggested for my hair type. i think this stuff is amazing!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2010 5:07:00 PM More reviews by scribblegenie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I only purchased a small bottle of the Tonic Shampoo because I wasn't sure if I would like it. I'm glad I didn't purchase the larger one. The smell is VERY strong. I am unable to use it because of the smell. It does lather up well and it cleaned my hair and particularly my scalp nicely but I can't get around the smell. A shame, perhaps if the scent was lighter I could use it.

However since I initially wrote this review, I tried the Seaweed Shampoo. I now use these two together in tandem, Tonic first, Seaweed second. Big difference! Please read my review of the Seaweed Shampoo. I will continue to use the Tonic shampoo. But initially I didn't like it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2010 4:38:00 AM More reviews by discoclemonade

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I am on a never ending search for a shampoo that not only gives my hair incredible shine but makes it feel clean as well. Tonic does just that. Every time I use this shampoo my hair looks commercial worthy. My hair is so shiny that my boyfriend could not even believe it. I love the natural scent to it and the tingly feeling it makes on the scalp while using it. The only downsides are that If you have very thick and long hair ( like I do) this shampoo does not lather up enough and you have to use a lot to cover your whole head which can become expensive because the bottle is fairly small and the lettering on the outside chips when wet so be prepared to have little black flecks all over you and your shower.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2007 10:39:00 AM More reviews by akemikatze

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am suprised that people describe this as "non-lathering". I use a dime-sized amount and get a full head of lather, but I'm also using a showerhead filter (which everyone should have!) I use this 2-3 times a week for oily build up and itchies that Seaweed shampoo don't seem to knock out. I love the scent even though it is a tad masculine. For something with tea tree and eucalyptus this does not strip all my moisture. I'd repurchase even though it's a tad spendy, but a little goes a long way on my short hair.