August 27, 2014 | 968 users online

Sunscreen - Avene - Ultra High Protection emulsion 50 [DISCONTINUED]

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2013 12:48:00 PM More reviews by calooza

I love the packaging. It's a tube with an airless pump dispenser, which is very hygienic and handy.

As for the product, it didn't convinced me, at all... I paid 12 euros (with 5 euro discount) for a 50ml tube.

The consistency is very light and runny, yet it's not easily absorbed. The instructions say that you have to use 7 pumps to get the right protection... well, i use two and i have to massage really well to get it all absorbed. And still i get a white cast on my face, it looks very shiny and feels sticky. Needless to say that i really can't apply makeup over this mess...

It claims that it has some sort of oil control, but for me (oily skin) it has none. It never stops feeling greasy, which is a shame. When i got this, i was looking for the sunscreen of the cleanance line, but it was out of stock.. probably it was more suitable for my skin.

I used this for direct sun exposure, and i didn't got a sunburn. But i got tanned, and my dark spots (pigmentation spots) went darker :( baah.. but i only used 2 pumps (although i apply it every 2 hours or so), so i didn't use the amount recommended.

It didn't break me out, which was a plus.

I will not repurchase. It's not for me, i don' like having a shiny face at all. I prefer the Vichy Capital Soleil Dry Touch so much more... It has a matte finish, control the oils, and doesn't leave a white cast. I failed by not repurchasing it :(

-----
UPDATE: I'm now on accutane and i have been using this product for everyday protection. I still don't use the recommended dose, i only use 1 to 2 pumps, and apply makeup after 5 minutes to let it sink in. It absorbs easily and i can apply makeup over it with no problem. It doesn't make my skin any more shiny or greasy. So i guess it's suitable for normal to dry skin. I'll give one more lippie for my update review.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2012 6:03:00 PM More reviews by SalmaM

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is by far the best sunscreen I've ever used in my life. I was on Bioderma Photoderm Lait for years and it was just horrible greasy, but I had to stick with it for its high SPF.
I'm on Retin-A and this Avene Emulsion is just perfect for skin, it doesn't clog pores, very light texture and has the best protection, my skin is very sensitive to sunlight and I almost always get sunburnt with every other sunscreen, but this protects me very well.
The only con is that it leaves a horrible white cast, I look like a ghost if I don't apply a bronze blusher over it.
My morning routine:
-Wash face with Dove Beauty Bar.
-Moisturize with L'Oreal Hydrafresh AquaGel.
-Apply Avene Emulsion SPF50.
-Apply bronze powder blusher to cover the white cast.
Midday routine:
-Dove Beauty Bar.
-Apply Bioderma Sebium Pore refiner.
-L'Oreal Hydrafresh AquaGel.
Night routine:
-Dove Beauty Bar.
-Retin-A.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/26/2011 8:10:00 AM More reviews by hesperus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The emulsion has a relatively high PPD (about 20), doesn't sting when applied, is not greasy and feels nice on the skin. It does leave a whitish cast, but it works well under makeup, I actually get the impression that it makes my makeup last longer. You DO have to work fast with this, applying it to smaller areas of the face, and spreading it quickly, in order to prevent it from balling up. It also has moisturizing properties, but I don't have dry skin, so I don't need hardcore moisturization. Unfortunately, like many other high PPD sunscreens, this broke me out, not just whiteheads, but very painful cystic acne, too and not just on my face but on my neck and chest as well. The only sunscreen that I can tolerate and still has acceptable PPD is LRP Fluide Extreme SPF 20 (PPD 11), in case others have the same problem, you might want to give this a try before giving up on sunscreen altogether.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2010 2:49:00 AM More reviews by eve_ecs

I've been using this for 2 years now. Prior to that I'd tested out just about ever major euro s/s. This is my definitely my HG. I have normal/dry skin so I don't have a problem with either shine or stickiness. It does leave a very slight white cast but that's to be expected with any serious s/s.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2010 8:09:00 PM More reviews by mpshouse

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This sunscreen is a runny, white liquid dispensed from a flip-top bottle. With a PPD of 20, it gives great protection,and I have yet to get any color , even when wearing it outside for several mid-day hours at a time.Unlike some reviewers, I find this to give a matte finish,though admittedly I'm not oily to begin with. The big negatives of this product are the white cast and the tendency to clump up if one applies too much ( as in even one speck more than 1/4 tsp on the face). It works well alone or over a very light lotion,but over a richer,mor eemollient lotion, it streaks and clumps. Overall, since sunscreens are notoriously far from perfect, I have rated this highly,and will repurchase. It will remain in my rotation due to its fantastic protection.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2009 7:08:00 PM More reviews by RtiQlitQT

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Tried a sample of Avène Emulsion Ultra High Protection for Sensitive Skin SPF 50+ (PPD/UVA 20) from Skincarecentral.com. I'm looking for a matte, high PPD facial sunscreen, but this one is not matte. I have oily/normal combination skin, and this feels a bit greasy going on. Four hours later, even after dusting with silk powder, I am left with a high-gloss, high-grease T-zone. YUCK! I also don't care for the strong fragrance. It may be the best high PPD option out there, but I will give up some of the PPD for true matteness, like that of Sofina Lucent. Oh well, the search goes on...

rated 1 of 5 on 6/12/2009 2:31:00 PM More reviews by ilookcool

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Avene probably has the worst sunscreen I've tried so far. Ghostly white cast, balling up like crazy, very shiny, leaving uneven patches behind even if you rub over and over... And worst of all, my skin broke out in hives from Avene sunscreens! (probably due to the fragrance)

I'll never let Avene sunscreens get near my face ever again.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/5/2009 2:31:00 AM More reviews by PeanutButterFly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Skimming through the skin board, I saw this sunscreen constantly being recced as a high PPD (20) sunscreen that has both excellent protection as well as an excellent matte finish for combination/oily skinned persons.
I've only been using this sunscreen for a few days so my review may be a bit early-on but I'll probably come back to edit it after trying it out for a while longer.
I'm acneprone and oily and Tazorac has made me very flaky. While this sunscreen doesn't aggravate my acne or emphasize my flakes, it doesn't help with the oiliness at all. Though it claims to dry down to a matte finish without an oily feeling, that wasn't my experience. There's an immediate shine upon application that only seems to get worse as time goes on and it has a somewhat tacky feel to it. The tacky/sticky feel isn't unbearable but is admittedly somewhat unpleasant, although the tackiness seems to diminish a bit as time goes on.
It's also not the easiest sunscreen to spread around, there's a tendency for it to clump if you're not careful. I've found that the trick is to go a bit more slowly instead. I suggest spending around a good 2-4 minutes applying it and rubbing it in gently instead of just slapping it on in 30 secs and expecting a great finish (the way I used to).
On the plus side, this sunscreen leaves my skin feeling soft and supple and calmed (though shiny and slightly tacky initially), it doesn't emphasize flakes, doesn't break me out, there are no parabens (if you're into that), it won't interfere with mineral makeup, it leaves no whitecast on my fair skin, and it offers fantastic sun protection.
Generally speaking, it's not a bad sunscreen and the protection is excellent. I just really wish there was something that could be done about the shine!

Edit- So after a couple months on the Avene, I've decided that the shine and grease really isn't doable for me. It's back to Shiseido and some possible more experimentation with other high PPD SS's.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2009 2:05:00 AM More reviews by littletwinklestar

This is a great sunscreen for sensitive dry skin. I only need to use a little pea size and it is enough for my whole face. I do not want to apply a lot as my face tend to be quite oily by mid-day.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2009 11:09:00 AM More reviews by paka65

Be careful....while Avene's haute protection seems good at first, you're getting all of the protection at a price. The product is loaded with parabens...at higher levels, they'be been linked to breast cancer.

PS I just checked and it looks like some of their sunscreens have been reformulated to remove some of the parabens. Tubotica's website gave the best info on what was removed and what was added.