Giovanni Smooth as Silk

3.8

Not tested on animals

New version: Aqua (purified water), sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, decyl glucoside, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium cocoamphoacetate, lauryl glucoside, sodium cocoyl glutamate, sodium lauryl glucose carboxylate, sodium cocoyl glutamate, sodium lauryl glucose carboxylate, pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract, *aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, *chamomilla recutita (matricaria) leaf extract, *citrus aurantium dulcis (valencia orange) extract, *citrus grandis (grapefruit) fruit extract, *cymbopogon schoenanthus (lemongrass) extract, *echinacea purpurea extract, *ginkgo biloba extract, *glycine soja (soybean) seed extract, *lavandula angustifolia (lavender) extract, *rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, *macrocystis pyrifera (sea kelp) extract, *mangifera indica (mango) extract, *salix alba (willow bark) extract, xanthan gum, glycol distearate panthenol (pro-vitamin B5), citric acid, polysorbate 20, potassium sorbate, phenoxyethanol, natural fragrance. Older version: Aqua (purified water), Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil*, Valencia Orange (citrus auantium dulcis), Mango (Mangifera Indica)*, Lemongrass (Cymbopogon Schoenanthus)*, Ginkgo Biloba*, Echinacea Angustifolia (echinacea Angustifolia)*, Willow Bark (Salix Alba)*, Sea Kelp (macrocystis pyrifera)*, Chamomile Flower (Chamomila Recruita)*, Soy textured protein*, Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), Grapefruit (Citrus Grandis), C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate (coconut derived), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Stearate, Dimethicone, Vegetable Glycerin, Polyquaternium 10, Olive Oil, Diazolidinyl Urea, Octyl 4-Methoxy Cinnamate (Sunscreen), Sodium Chloride (Sea Salt), Citric Acid (corn), Fragrance with Essential Oils.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I bought the regular 8.5oz shampoo and conditioner set at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I noted that in the 8.5oz shampoo version it looks pastel yellow and its very creamy and leaves my hair really shiny, smooth and hydrated. As soon as I applied it to my wet hair it began a creamy lather and hair felt smooth in an instant.
When I bought the liter version of this shampoo it was very white like conditioner. I noticed in the liter version it was not as hydrating and left my hair a bit frizzy. I felt i needed to use more shampoo to get my hair feeling silky.
Not sure why the 8.5oz version is very different from the liter size version. I checked on both bottles and the ingredients are the same so I am not sure why they performed differently and have very different colors. I searched online, but can't find anything on that. I think I'll message Giovanni company. I think that I would not buy this in the liter version, but in the pastel yellow 8.5 oz.
I will see if I can post a picture of the two bottles so you can see the difference.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This shampoo is so good! It smells quite nice - sort of like orange juice. Within one wash my hair was definitely more moisturised, soft, shiny and had less frizz. After using about half the bottle the results on my hair are getting better each wash! I have been looking for sulfate free, moisturising shampoos for a long time and this is by far the most hydrating one. The only issue with this shampoo is that my hair will sometimes get oily quicker. To fix this I usually rotate it with another shampoo and only apply my conditioner to the mid-lengths and ends of my hair. This is an amazing shampoo and I will definitely be repurchasing!

on 7/21/2014 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I have purchased this shampoo a few times at iherb. Good price, lightly scented of oranges, with a decent amount of lather. It's become a fall back staple to me, for a line that I know works with my fine, curly hair and doesn't dry my strands out.

on 7/17/2014 5:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I will preface this by saying my hair doesn't like protein. So I am gonna assume it's the protein in this shampoo that has totally destroyed my hair!!! My hair has never been worse. I thought it would be moisturizing but instead it dries out my hair and leaves it brittle and tangled. I tried it a few times and have had the worse hair days of my life. I am not exaggerating, I threw out the bottle in the trash!

on 6/27/2014 1:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I like this shampoo because it leaves my hair soft (when it dries) with a healthy shine. It lathers easily and there is no need to use large amounts of the product. I love that it is more safe than the chemical based and more popular shampoos. It is a bit pricey but compared to other organic hair products it is actually quite affordable.

Update: I was researching online the chemicals on this shampoo and found out the the ingredient " Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate" has mixed reactions. Some places that provide chemical of the day or month say it has similar risks as "Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate." While other articles say it is fine. Hmm I am not sure which one is correct.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got this after I fell in love with Giovanni's Frizz Be Gone. At first I enjoyed this shampoo, but then I realized it dried my hair out. It smells nice, and has a good lather. It's not too expensive, but it's not for me.

on 11/18/2013 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is a great shampoo. Not cheap as low foaming. I have very soft and hydrated hair with the help of this shamp. To reduece the quantity of this shamp used, firstly pour a little of your other well foaming shampoo, rinse quickly, then pour some Giovanni smooth as silk shampoo and wash your hair. It will be easy to work through your hair. The magical part is it will make your hair very soft with many of rinse-off conditioners, even those that u wanted to chuck off. Never need a hair treatment anymore.

on 10/7/2013 7:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I used this, the conditioner and the keratin serum on my 4-month-old keratin hair and WOW! Nothing has made my hair look like it's just gotten a keratin treatment like this. I have no idea how it could have made anyone's hair feel stripped. I'm so sorry! Tried a lot of different brands and this is my favorite and it is a $ bargain too!

on 10/7/2013 3:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This shampoo really striped my hair of moisture. my hair was so dry after using it and it wasnt near *smooth as silk* I wont repurchase ever again and Im glad it was on sale when i bought it .

on 9/26/2013 3:35:00 PM

I wish there was a "maybe" button for "would you buy again." So far, this product has done me no wrong. I like the "chemical-free" formulation and the creamy consistency of the product. It also has a very nice, light fragrance. I have very damaged hair from heat styling and coloring, and it seems to be bringing it back from the dead, so far. Part of my problem was that I was using Paul Mitchell products for blonde hair and the products had TOO much protein in them. So now I am trying to recover my hair from that, but I read on MUA that this product too has protein in it. I can't seem to get away. I will update in the event that this product starts to wreck my hair, but so far, it seems to be moisturizing it nicely.

Popular Shampoos