July 28, 2014 | 1768 users online

Mascara - Diego Dalla Palma - Compact Mascara Cake Mascara in Black

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2007 3:21:00 PM More reviews by hetj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I actually have this in the brown and love it. The two different brushes are excellent and the mascara wears well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2006 6:16:00 PM More reviews by radiocure11

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Yay! I found a great cake mascara!
I found this while on a hunt for the long-ago discontinued Maybelline cake mascara. In my search, I first found the Longcils cake mascara, which sounds but is way expensive at $25. I then did a p'ville search and found out about Paula Dorf (also $$), Lola Loves ($$), La Femme (cheap) and Diego Dalla Palma. Since the Diego had one good review from someone familiar with cake mascaras, and has a more modern formulation but for less money than Longcils, I decided to try it first.
I bought it from ebay, and went with brown. I am so happy with it! I used the Maybelline cake mascara back in the late 80's, must have been just before they stopped making it. The one problem was that it did smudge and was not waterproof at all. The Diego is very smudgeproof, though I haven't had the opportunity to test for true waterproofness. No clumping, looks natural yet defining with one thin coat: but can be easily layered for a more dramatic, thickening look.
I must buy the black now, because I'm sure that since I love this, they will stop making it soon.

For those not familiar with cake mascara: it literally ccomes in a solid cake form. You wet the brush with water, shake off excess, and rub the wet brush around on the cake to mix up the mascara, then apply with the brush. Very simple. This brand comes with two brushes: a traditional cake mascara brush that is like a tiny little thin toothbrush (or like a small eyebrow brush); and a more convential wand-like spoolie brush. (As an aside, the Paula Dorf comes with a little mini fan-type taklon brush. I bought some cheap ones on ebay to try out.)

Ingredients: PEG-8 Beeswax, Sodium Stearate, Xanthan Gum, Stearic acid, DEA Cetyl Phosphate, Carnauba Wax, Lecithin, Nylon-12, PVP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Triethanolamine, Lauroyl Lysine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sorbic Acid, Dehydroacetic acid, EDTA, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Trihydroxypalmitamidohydroxypropyl Myristyl Ether.
May Contain:
Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Carmine (CI 75470), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI 77289).
PS: I bought from ebay:
Edit: 8/17/06: Boo, hoo! Just as I predicted: Diego has discontinued the cake mascara. Only brown is available from ebay now.