October 24, 2014 | 1598 users online

Pressed Powders - Revlon - Colorstay Pressed Powder with SoftFlex

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2014 10:25:00 PM More reviews by PiMehMeh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really loved Revlon's ColorStay Makeup for Combo/Oily Skin, so I thought that I would love this powder just as much, expecting a long-wearing, 16-hour matte finish like Revlon claims. Unfortunately, while the actual product is decent, $10 and a few days' trials later I feel no thrill to use it. Bummer.

I tried this out in the translucent shade, since this is apparently the only paraben-free shade, so no additional coverage was provided. I applied this over one of my favorite BB creams, KATE Mineral Cover BB Gel Cream, with an e.l.f. Studio Complexion Brush instead of the puff included with Revlon's powder. The powder does not give me a matte finish, but a satisfactory natural-looking finish that did last about 5-6 hours before my oil started to break through. By the 8th hour, the oil isn't heavy, but it's noticeable. So there is some decent oil-control going for this product based on my experience. Almost long enough for a full work day.

My biggest issue isn't actually so much with the product itself for once, but with the packaging. I personally could not get over the fact that the compact is so huge! Normally I would take my powder with me to work or outings so that I can touch up throughout the day, but this takes up most if not all the space in the tiny makeup bag I carry with me, and I really don't want to carry much with me, so the more compact, the easier it is to grab and go. This, unfortunately, just sits on my dresser and only sees use at the beginning of the day. I'd really like to use it more often if the compact wasn't so bulky.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2014 12:52:00 PM More reviews by libbyfranc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a pretty decent drugstore powder. I like the colorstay line as it doesn't break me out and works alright. I usually buy this at Target for about $8 or $9 (which is a little pricey in my opinion), but often buy it online for less than that. I use the color Fair.

This matches my skin tone very well (I use to use the translucent for my pale skin tone, but felt the fair gives me a bit more coverage which is what i want for my acne redness). It leaves my skin feeling soft, and I only have to touch it up maybe once or twice throughout the day (possibly more if I get a little sweaty in the heat, lol). I've noticed it can get cakey/powdery looking if you apply too much of it, or if you apply it over a concealer/foundation that is already a little on the cakey/dry side. I actually apply this over my BB cream, and it gives a nice finish. :) I don't like to use the puff that comes with it in the compact (it doesn't apply the powder well, and I think it's silly to put in that little compartment with the mirror UNDER the pan. Poor design, lol). So I use a kabuki brush which works much better. Best of all, this powder does not break me out. :) People have said this powder does not have a smell, but i think it does a little bit. Slightly flour-y (not floral, flour :D) smell, but i like that :P (idk, I'm weird XD lol).

All in all, I do like this powder pretty well and will continue to purchase it. :) I would like something maybe a bit more smooth/airbrushed looking, but this isn't bad at all :P I've recently started using a little E.L.F. HD powder (sheer) over this, and that gives a nice soft look when i want it. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2014 9:52:00 AM More reviews by kelluhhh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'd been using MAC studio fix powder for quite a while and was getting super low so decided to give it a go as the liquid colorstay lasts hours, and there was a deal at priceline. I have a very oily nose a tend to get shiny on the rest of my t zone after a few hours. Apart from my nose, my face looked flawless at least 14 hours after putting this on, and only a little shiny on my nose. and that's after a full work day in autumn (30℃) good enough to touch up and go out again if I needed. Super fine powder. It stays matte and doesn't disappear into greasy foundation that slides. And it doesn't get darker which is awesome since I'm basically white, matches perfectly, unlike Mac which would get pretty orange, even with their new light shades. Packaging is not a big deal, you dont wear the package, I'm just interested in the product. I don't use the pad thing it came with, it's too small and doesn't move much. I use a nyx foam puff, makes powders flawless. This is like $15 cheaper than Mac, not as much product but way better. I don't expect anything to last 10 hours on my nose but this did a very good job. Use the liquid first then pat this around eyes and nose and chin and dust it with a big brush over the rest of my face.

Previously I hated colorstay liquid but I had used the dry skin version (I used to have dry skin) but it was just terrible. The oily skin version and powder together are awesome. Have a good scrub getting it off though !

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2014 9:08:00 PM More reviews by MakeupMya101

I came across this powder after searching for a new one to get away from my old powder that caked up and made me look orange. All I wanted was a powder that gave me a nice matte finish and kept my face from looking like and oil slick at the end of the day. I've been using this product for quite a few months now and I'll admit I do really like it and have recently just repurchased. It comes with a small mirror and little round applicator. The powder applies nice and smoothly and instantly makes my face matte. As for the people saying that after application their face looks caked and chalky, I agree that you do look a bit chalky after application (if you're using the applicator), but all I do to fix it is take my hands and lightly blend the powder out and voila! After multiple uses it doesn't look chalky on me any more. This powder doesn't cost too much (depending on where you purchase) and it lasts me my school day (6-7 hours) and I only have to touch up at least once. Overall I do like this powder and will continue to use until I find a better one soon.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2013 8:57:00 AM More reviews by Lizzielizay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This powder matches my skin tone great, I got it in light/pale. You can tell a difference as soon as you put it on your skin, it looks smooth, matte, and light. The only thing I hate about this product is the price, packaging (I have the one with the half mirror so it's pretty useless because it's so small) and the make up sponge is just weird. Other then that I have oily skin and this last maybe 5-6 hours without touch up which is great. Defiently would repurchase, great drugstore powder!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/9/2013 3:03:00 PM More reviews by ShaniMesh

A typical good drugstore powder.
Soft with matte finish.doesnt get cakey,pretty good wear lasting
[i would say around 6 hours on my troubled skin.]

For me,this is not the "it" powder.
Their lightest color doesn't match my pale complexion 100%.
It looks a little orange-ish on me,but still they have pretty good color variety compared to other drugstore products.

i would recommend this to people that have no problem matching their skin color to drugstore make up average colors.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/5/2013 10:18:00 PM More reviews by cgtorres

I adore the colorstay foundation, so when I went out to buy a powder to control my oily skin and set my foundation, I thought it'd be a good idea to stick with the same brand. It was very unimpressive. I bought it in a shade that was a little too light--it was the only one available. That isn't what really bothers me, though. It looks chalky and it doesn't really control oil for long. There are probably much better drug store powders. I wouldn't buy this again; for a drugstore powder, it wasn't cheap either.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/31/2013 5:43:00 AM More reviews by kaysae

I bought the translucent one and use it as a setting powder for when I feel like staying matte under my bb creams and sometimes my revlon colorstay foundation. It works pretty well at keeping me shine free, but then again I'm not so much of an oily person. This is an okay/good powder for me, nothing really amazing about it, but it's not bad either. With that being said though, it's not really worth the $10+?or so, but I got it at Walgreens with a revlon bogo half sale so it was only $5 for me, which was worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2013 4:15:00 AM More reviews by alliewilliams123

My go to powder! A BB cream and this works perfectly on a day to day basis for my oily and blemish-y skin! Glides on so nicely and adds just a touch more coverage! light-medium is a little to light for me (quite surprising). Just hit pan and I would definitely buy again though the $35 (australian) price tag is a big turn off! :( Even more annoying is that for the price you pay you get crappy packaging- my window thing broke :((
Still product still works and it is great!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/30/2013 2:41:00 AM More reviews by sarah0711

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Yuck! I bought this because I used the Colorstay Liquid in Normal/Dry and thought it would be good to use a setting powder from the same range. This stuff was awful! Probably the worst powder I have tried. I found it chalky and cakey, and the lightest colour available oxidised terribly on my skin after applying Colorstay in Buff. I tried this 3 times with varying amounts and different density face brushes and just couldn't get this stuff to look good on my skin. Even the packaging is crappy - why even bother putting that tiny mirror in the lid, you can't see your whole face in it which is pointless unless you are going to be spot applying this. Perhaps it may work better for those with oily skin, but I can't be sure. I threw it away and will not repurchase!