Trader Joe's Spearmint Lip Balm

3.7

Price: $

Price: $

Active: Avobenzone (2.0%), Octinoxate (6.5%), Octisalate (5.0%), Octocrylene (1.5%) Inactive: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Beeswax, Organic Jojoba Seed Oil, Spearmint Oil, Vitamin E, Shea Butter, Rosemary Extract, Herbal Extract Blend

on 3/24/2014 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I needed a lip balm with SPF to protect my lips. I generally prefer lip balms made from "natural" ingredients so I was happy to see this. It is spearmint scented so it may remind you of toothpaste or gum. Maybe a slight tingle? but not sure. The only downside is a weird taste in my mouth, perhaps from the chemical sunscreen. I feel like this is unavoidable if you want SPF. I will probably only wear this when going outside. It came in a box of 3 for $2.49 near the checkout at Trader Joe's. Great value.

Edit: The chemical taste was unbearable for awhile but then it sort of when away? I'm happier with it now.

on 10/25/2013 8:37:00 AM

TJ's changed its formula for the Lip Balm Virtuouso. It used to be a lip balm I loved, and the only one I ever bought. I've used it for years. But I just confirmed with the company that the formula has changed - they messed around with the SPF, and now it smells soapy. Instead of a light, almost creamy feel, it's now waxy and not moisturizing at all. It even causes my lips to crack and bleed. Such a disappointment. Trader Joe's: Go back, you had a winner before you changed the formula!

on 2/22/2013 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've gone through a ridiculous amount of these lip balms. Many lip balms with SPF can actually be quite drying, not this one! I usually prefer this to Burt's Bees because it isn't waxy, and leaves your lips with a bit of a shine. I just purchased a Caudalie lip balm for at least 4x the price of these lip balms, and it wasn't nearly as good as TJ brand. Highly recommend it!

on 1/11/2013 2:36:00 PM

I really wanted to like this product because of the good price! It's really a bargain for the low price and also because you get 3 lip balms in the package! I like the spearmint scent but I feel that this lip balm isn't moisturizing enough. Throughout the day, I have to consistently apply it to my lips. The packaging definitely needs improvement because not too long, the printing on the label begins to fade. It doesn't bother me because I usually just peel it off. It's an alright product but I won't be purchasing it again. If you're looking for cheap, natural ingredient lip balm, this might be a good choice.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is my go to lip balm! I love the minty taste, and it provides the most moisture of any lip balm I've tried. It applies thin, which I like, but within minutes my lips feel a lot softer. I always carry one of these around with me. They're cheap, and they contain natural ingredients. I love Trader Joe's!

on 4/27/2012 8:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I gave this product a four but I'd give it a three-and-a-half if I could. It cost $2.70 for a pack of three, so the price is perfect. I prefer peppermint to spearmint, though, and the oxygen zone is a deal breaker. I'll finish my tube and then try another, truly natural lip balm.

on 1/31/2012 2:04:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I love this stuff. I have them all over the house and car. I give them to the kids on ski trips. It's soft, smooth, minty and SPF 15. It keeps my lips moist & soft. I use it all the time. Great price for 3 pack.

Love this lip balm! I'm a chapstick addict and am always looking for a new chapstick to buy. I'd never gone through a chapstick until this one. It was the first time I've ever completely used up a lipbalm and my lipbalm collection has stopped growing since I found this. It is moisturizing and non-addicting and my lips are so soft. It isn't waxy and it doesn't sit on my lips without doing anything. The value is great. The packaging isn't stunning, or anything, but it'll do.

I love peppermint scents and my lips are not sensitive or anything, so that's something to keep in mind. I've read other reviewers say this is too strong and that may be true for some, but my lips aren't sensitive so it works wonders for me :)

Love, love, love and highly reccomend this stuff.

on 9/16/2011 3:40:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I was at trader joes when I saw this huge pacage of lip balm for only $3 and I was like...WIN. However, while the ingredients are wonderful (except for the oxybenzone) the peppermint is so strong it feels like its stinging my lips if i have a crack >3<
Anyhoo~ for the price its okay, but I wouldn't buy it again.

on 8/23/2011 6:40:00 PM

Used this for a year without a problem. It is strong on the peppermint oil, even more so than Burt's Bees, that leaves you with that tingly-cool sensation after applying. After a year of using it, I developed an allergic reaction that left my lips swollen and cracked. I will not be repurchasing.

Popular Lip Treatments