April 21, 2014 | 1816 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Clarins - Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2014 2:18:00 AM More reviews by sorcha7420

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love Clarins but found this hard to love. I didn't like the fiddly spatula and didn't want to put my fingers in the little pot over and over either, so it was hard to get the right amount of product. It seemed to work fine but no better than any other primer I have used. Disappointing.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2014 7:01:00 PM More reviews by uxi

An excellent primer for blurring pores/deep acne scars. Has a thick texture with a slightly oily touch. This may cause a problem if you don't buff well enough when using a liquid foundation. Powder foundations however work very well if you apply it in a dabbing/pressing motion.
Comes in an oval container that is not the most hygienic packaging. I do not mind since I always wash my hands and keep my application area/products clean.
Quite pricey since it is Clarins, but I will purchase again if the supposed dupe Garnier's Perfect Blur 5 seconds does not work.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/25/2014 8:52:00 AM More reviews by Poli93

There was so much hype surrounding this product that a combination-skin gal like me fell for it right away.
I thought it would be perfect to cover my pores and refine the skin's grain... but no.
It works well for about half an hour, then it just kind of melts on your face.
I've been using Clinique's Pore Minimizer (now called Pore Refining Solutions) primer for all my life and I think it does a MUCH better job than the Clarins one (it's also cheaper).
I was so dissapointed with this product, especially consider the price for such a tiny pot!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2013 6:15:00 PM More reviews by fatttoad909

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The key with this product use it sparingly!
I use Mally primer all over face, a lil bit of this for underneath the eyes, and Benefit Porefessional patted on my nose (I have a lot of pores)
I cannot stress enough that all you need is a tiny bit and it blends out concealer very nicely. Would not be without it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2013 9:02:00 AM More reviews by kellyjo7727

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The best primer ever, after working all day in my restaurant my face looks smooth and is smooth and makeup is in place. Thanks clarins please don't stop making this...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2013 3:06:00 PM More reviews by Alexandra123Y

This product didn't quite work for me. I tried and tried and failed and failed. After applying the product followed with a foundation my skin got very greasy and shiny in a few hours. Maybe it is because I am using water based foundations, and they are not a good match for this silicone based product. I might try and use the base with a different type of foundation, or avoid applying onto the whole face, and just touch up the areas with imperfections and fine lines.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2013 7:58:00 AM More reviews by spinnaker

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This product dates from my days as a Clarins SA but has stayed with me. Ironically, I hate an overly made up look (on me! I love the eyes some of you gals do!), but this extra step makes my 'look' happen.

At Clarins, they suggest this as a primer. After moisturizer, before foundation. To that end, this is a little red pot for $27 CAD. The product is a siliconey pink paste with very little smell. It glides on with your fingertips and the less you use the better. Heavily applied it can ball up when you layer your makeup on. It was one of our most popular products and I frequently had customers return to rave about the lasting power of their makeup. I always recommended it to brides, or anyone who likes full maquillage. Used regularly, it should last about 3 months. Any more than that and you may be putting too much on. I have had pots hang around for a year with no noticeable change in the product, but 12 months should be the max.

Now my secret. I have terrible skin; acne scars, freckles, sun spots. And foundation always looks cakey and fake on me. Even my free Clarins foundations, colour matched by the company. But I was working at Clarins and needed to look 'done' - sigh, the tough life of an SA. My routine was moisturizer (Clarins Face sunscreen SPF 30, let sink in for 5 min), this primer, then blush/powder/concealer. And I constantly got complimented on my skin. I would happily sell them the foundation they thought I was wearing - that was my job - but I was rocking this primer and some powder products.

Now, years later, my routine has changed a bit. Sunscreen and primer for day. If I am not working, that is it for makeup. This mattifies, smooths and makes my skin look healthy without looking made up. It takes the shiny and white out of my sunscreen. If I am working, I add the powder/blush and it lasts all day. And my days can be crazy long.

Yes, it is expensive. I have tried the L'Oreal version (too spongy and balled up on me), and Lancome (too pink) and keep coming back to Clarins. It does have silicones. I am acne prone but this doesn't break me out.

Secret: I know this isn't it's purpose but...I use this as an extra layer when I am outside in rough weather. Both in my military life and civvie side, I add this over sunscreen to buffer the wind if I'm going to be outside all day. It seems to work and keep my skin a little less raw...

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2013 5:19:00 PM More reviews by starzi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

Am on my 3rd pot of this already. Love this stuff! Glides on so smoothly, and creates a great base for my foundation to go on. I feel that it really does minimize my pores. Also think it makes my makeup last longer too! Only minimal oil shine at the end of the day... Makes my makeup stay put and does not crease or anything. Well, that's on me at least. The only complaint that I have is that I got through these jars like crazy! They don't last very long for me, compared to other primers I have used - i.e. Illamasqua hydra veil. Spoke to the MA and she suggested that I only apply to areas that need to be evened out, so gonna try that for now and see how much longer it will last! I've tried the L'Oreal version of this (true secrets or something??) but made me look too pale and white, so I really prefer this instead.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/2/2013 1:52:00 PM More reviews by Curlycat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

It does even out the skintone and makes a pretty decent job at making the red spots disappear.
Softens my skin.
The jar is small but you only need to apply a little so it lasts for a long time.

It's really not a necessarily product.
Pretty expensive.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/10/2013 2:04:00 AM More reviews by surrealreality

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

About Me: 29 yrs old with a few very fine lines under the eye area (and no where else). Combination skin (horribly dry/flaky cheeks, normal forehead and chin, and somewhat oily nose area with visible pores).

Applied Over: A light moisturizer. It was allowed to try completely before applying the primer.

Applied Under: MAC's Face & Body Foundation (water based, oil free), setting powder, and finishing spray. When that didn't go so well, I then tried MUFE's Face & Body (silicone based, oil free) with the same setting powder and finishing spray. The primer was allowed to dry completely before applying foundation. Both were applied with a beauty blender sponge (rolling/stippling technique) so as to disturb the primer as little as possible.

Application of Primer: Tried two ways.... both with the same results. The first time I used a reasonable amount, the second time I used very little. I applied with my fingers. It glided on easily, didn't seam to emphasize the terribly dry areas on my cheeks, and didn't ball up as a lot of silicone primers tend to do. However, I noticed absolutely no difference in my pores or fine lines (as some people have mentioned it helping even without foundation over top) and it took FOREVER to dry (think 10 minutes at least... I don't have that kind of time in the morning).

Wear of Foundations with Clarins' Primer:

When first applied....
It made both foundations I tried it with much more matte than they normally are (which isn't a huge issue, but it's not something I was wanting). That effect only lasts about a 1/2 hour though. There was no difference in pore visibility.

After about an hour....
It became apparent very quickly that Clarins' claim regarding less noticeable fine lines was absolute garbage. This primer made both foundations gunk up in my fine lines (and I say again.... I only have a few very fine lines under my eyes... can't even imagine how bad this would have looked if I had more pronounced lines). As a result, it made my fine lines much MORE noticeable and I looked at least 5 years older because of it. MAC's F&B does settle into fine lines some on it's own, but not nearly as bad as it did when using this primer. MUFE's F&B doesn't settle into fine lines at all without the primer.

After about two hours....
The rest of my face looked just as bad or worse. This primer made both foundations look cakey and obvious. It also made them wear away very strangely, breaking up in a very odd and extremely unattractive way. Without the primer, they both look natural throughout the day and wear off evenly.

After about four hours...
Without this primer, MAC's F&B lasts 6 solid hours on me, fading between hours 7 and 9. MUFE's F&B lasts 8 solid hours on me, fading between hours 9 and 11. This primer shortened the wear length of both foundations considerably, leaving me bare faced or close to it in 4 hours or less.

Bottom Line: My skin spans the gamut from insanely dry to somewhat oily and it caused my foundations to look terrible on every area of my face, so I can't imagine that my skin type is the culprit. I tried it with a water based foundation and a silicone based foundation, so.... all I can think is that perhaps it would work better with an oil based foundation, which I do not have. Honestly though, I doubt it. From my experience, this primer is absolute junk and I would not recommend it to anyone, at any time, for any reason.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No