December 22, 2014 | 1010 users online

Hair Treatments - Redken - UV Rescue Brunette Guard

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2007 4:39:00 PM More reviews by yosmali

I'm on my third bottle. Love the stuff. Keeps my dark brown hair safe from the chlorine and the sun.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2006 9:19:00 PM More reviews by boscoe7777

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a fresh scented medium cream with shimmer particles. I like the fact that it provides a UV filter. I have to apply it after I wash my hair, if not it results into a stringy mess. EDIT: Renamed UV Rescue Shimmering Defense Daily Care Protective Lotion

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2006 2:25:00 PM More reviews by parravanessa

I live in Florida and the summer months are usually torture to my darkened brown hair. This product is VERY useful if you're out on the boat a lot or swim a certain amount. This stuff gets expensive if you use it daily or frequently because you have to reapply after every swim. I really think it's ideal if you're going out on the boat/beach for a day and are going to have your hair out in direct sunlight. It has kind of a shiny, milky texture to it that makes your hair look super shiny and I use it on dry hair, so it really gives your hair the consistency that a heavy anti-frizz cream would. The packaging isn't incredibly ideal because the cap does not have some sort of safety measure so be careful about just stuffing it in your bag. A little bit goes a long way and be sure to use it on your crown/ends which I think get the most damage. Also, if you have very thin hair, I would suggest some sort of SPF spray instead, because this stuff is thick. Smells lovely.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2006 8:49:00 AM More reviews by Loisl

This is the only product I've found that will protect my highlights while I swim laps. I've had hairdressers refuse to highlight my hair in the past if I told them I'm a swimmer...I'm talking doing laps 2 or 3 times a week, not hardcore. I wet my hair in the shower and work this through my hair before I swim. I do swim with a cap as well when I'm doing laps, but I use this without a cap if I'm just playing in the pool (you hair is in the water much less). This product won't make your hair look any different than it does wet. It doesn't gloss or dull. I work it all the way through, but I take special care to get it around my hairline where the cap might slip. I know it's still in my hair after because if I'm going home anyway I shower there, and my hair is still wet looking when I arrive home 15-20 minutes later. I've seen it recommneded to use conditioner under your cap, but, hello? Conditioner rinses out in tap water. What's indoor pool water going to do? My highlights are too expensive; I'm not going to mess around. And I need them now that I'm getting older! This product will wash out with your shampoo pretty easily and it does do some extra conditioning; especially in the heat that is generated between my head and cap. In fact, I'm able to skip the "anti-snap" I usually use a couple of times a week when I'm using this product. This also comes in blonde guard. In fact, I've never seen the brunette version of this product in stores and used the blond version last summer. I found this on the Internet because none of the stores here carries the UV line in the winter. This is readily available on the Internet, or my hairdresser, who carries Redken anyway, will special order. This product also protects from UVA/UVB rays. There are several products in this line, 2 others which I have tried, which I will review here. There is one that's kind of shiny/glittery that is great for the beach. The "milk" is opaque. I like that this comes in a tube because it's easy to get all the product out, and I don't like carrying bottles in my swim bag (too bulky). I've had a few problems with the cap, which you twist a little and squeeze (cap doesn't come off). It's easy to use when I'm standing there with my hair dripping, but I have had some problems with it twisting open and getting product on my stuff. Plus, this is fairly expensive, and I hate the waste. Some type of safey catch on the cap would be ideal.