November 24, 2014 | 1023 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Mason Pearson - Popular Bristle & Nylon Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2014 11:50:00 AM More reviews by Sparkly2013

To be honest, I wanted to hate this brush and send it back to Nordstrom. $205 for a brush is steep! You can find them on Amazon, but with such a large investment I wanted to make sure that what I bought was authentic, and returnable if needed. I bought the Goody Heritage Collection paddle brush from WalMart for $15 to compare.

Goody brush
-Thick boar bristles that don't penetrate the hair fully
-Uncomfortable thick wooden handle
-Ball tipped nylon bristles
-Left my fine hair (but I have a lot of it!) looking flat and greasy/shiny

Mason Pearson
-Both boar and nylon penetrate the hair
-Provides a wonderful scalp massage (scratching...)
-Light weight
-Comes with cleaning brush
-Left my fine hair feeling soft and shiny without being too flat
-I brushed before bed and woke up with almost tangle free hair! This has never happened before.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2014 12:48:00 PM More reviews by Arpita1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Are these brushes really worth all that money? My hair is so fine and fragile, all it does is leave it a limp, oily mess. My niece has super thick hair, and the brush loves her hair. Don't know how any fine haired lady could use it. It distributes the oils, but I do that by putting on an oil treatment.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2014 9:30:00 PM More reviews by Dlou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm writing this review because I just lost my MP pocket brush for 48 hours and I was already on amazon, looking to buy another. Thank god, before I bought I tore my apartment apart and found the brush on the bottom of a shelf where I'd thrown it. After seeing all the pix of the gorgeous new brushes, mine definitely looks worn. Worn like the Velveteen Rabbit. I have loved the bejesus out of this hairbrush and it was totally worth the ridonkulous amount of money. I carry it with me every day in my handbag.

I got my MP pocket boar's bristle/nylon brush at Harrod's in London in the autumn of 2000. It is now spring 2014. My brush is worn, like I said. Some bristles are missing. The name is worn off the label (but anyone who knows their stuff would always know it's a real MP).

I have thin fine hair, and now I wonder if a brush that's just boar's bristle would be better. Could it possibly feel as delicious to use it as it does to use my bristle/nylon one? I'd love to find out somehow *before* spending $90 on another one. My brush makes my hair look soft, full, and oh it feels fab to use it.

I totally unreservedly recommend these brushes. The best of their kind. Only buy this if you're past the phase of losing stuff, though--because that was a long (potentially expensive) 48 hours. Thank god it's back!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2014 2:18:00 AM More reviews by sunblockobsession

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a review for the Mason Pearson Nylon-only brush since I don't see a separate review category for that product.

I LOVE MY MASON PEARSON. My grandmother bought mine for me as a gift; I had been growing out a pixie cut and I think she was celebrating my long hair.

These suckers are pricey. I hesitate to say that they are worth the investment because I didn't actually buy mine, but I will say that they are so. darn. nice.

I can't use boar bristles or boar/nylon combinations as they have never properly penetrated my thick hair. Boar bristle brushes, for whatever reason, make the top of my scalp flat and the bottom poofy, so I end up with a triangle sitting atop my head. Regular nylon brushes tend to make my hair staticky- I dislike the round plastic balls on the ends of the bristles.

The Mason Pearson nylon brush retails for about $90, which is nice because while it's still outrageously expensive, it's a lot less than their famous boar bristle model, which I think is $160. It is marketed as a "detangling" brush, and is intended for those with thick hair.

I only use this brush on dry hair (you aren't supposed to get it wet), and you have to clean it very carefully, as per the company's instructions. It is a little fussy that way, but it is well-made and worth the extra effort.

This brush is a styling product in and of itself. It detangles, tames frizz, reduces static, distributes oils, and generally makes my hair look like a million dollars.

I have been in the process of growing out my hair for about 2 and a half years now. I rarely heat-style my hair (2-3 times a year at the salon), and I don't color it, so I have to rely on things like overpriced hairbrushes to make it look nice. This is a great tool.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2014 1:19:00 PM More reviews by spinacha

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Some background info on my hair for reference: I have waist-length hair that is very fine, but also very full. In other words, my hair is thin, but I have a lot of it. My hair tends to be unruly. I get oily at the roots, but am very prone to tangling and knotting everywhere else. I need to use a heavy conditioner to smooth my hair otherwise it is difficult to manage and frizzy (except at the roots). I also have been experiencing increased hair shedding / loss over the past 4-5 years, but at the same time I have excessive hair growth to compensate.

Given the significant increase in hair shedding / loss that I have been experiencing over the past while, I decided to invest in a Mason Pearson brush. I wanted a brush that was gentle on my hair, but that also had enough force to brush thru my unruly hair.

I have found the Mason Pearson Popular (BN1) brush to be very gentle yet extremely effective.

The Popular (BN1) brush includes both bristle & nylon tufts. The bristles are made of boar hairs, which are very gentle on the hair and stimulate the scalp, and the nylon tufts are great for running through the hair and detangling it. There are 8 rings of bristles/tufts in total, which makes this probably one of the largest brushes, if not, the largest Mason Pearson brush available (great for long hair). The brush includes a very flexible brush pad (where the bristles/tufts are housed), which makes it a gentler and far more effective brush. I believe that a flexible brush pad is key in lessening damage to all hair types.

I find this brush to be particularly effective for those experiencing increased hair loss and shedding. It is super gentle on the hair.

It also works great at catching all fall out hairs. While other brushes tend to drop loose/shed hairs, the Popular brush catches them all. After brushing your hair, you will not find loose/shed hairs in your sink, bathroom floor, etc., unless they are tiny. The brush will catch them all, so there is less mess.

Cleaning the brush is fairly easy. The Popular brush includes its own cleaning brush, which works wonderfully. Any woven hair strands that are snagged in your brush will come loose with a couple of sweeps of the cleaning brush over the brush pad. It also works on other brushes, not necessarily just Mason Pearson brushes.

Many people have indicated that using this brush regularly helps balance their hair by evenly distributing the natural oils in their hair and adding shine. That is true. The boar bristles help evenly distribute oil from the roots all the way to the ends of your hair. With regular use, it will make your hair look healthier.

The bristles/tufts feel great on the scalp, and are known to stimulate the scalp. They are said to also stimulate hair growth too, but I have not really experienced that. The bristles/tufts do feel good on the scalp, but I cannot vouch for whether the brush does or does not assist with hair growth.

Something to point out is that this brush is not intended for styling your hair. For example, if you use the brush to make a ponytail, you will not get a smooth, uniformed look (not easily, anyway). The Popular brush is really intended for brushing your hair only, and for stimulating the scalp.

One negative, and probably the ONLY negative comment I have regarding this brush is that it can tend to be scratchy on my neck. It is nothing major, but when I am brushing my hair, if the brush goes past my scalp and onto my neck, it can tend to feel abrasive and somewhat irritating. There is no redness or anything like that, it just feels irritating / scratchy in the moment. Then again, it is not intended for your neck, but nevertheless good to know.

One thing I would like to point out regarding Mason Pearson is that their customer service and the level of information they provide regarding their products is stellar. Their brushes come with pamphlets that explain how to maintain and use their product(s). Their customer service is wonderful. For example, if you contact the company with an inquiry, they answer relatively quickly and their responses are tailored to your inquiry and go above and beyond what you would expect. You do not get copied & pasted answers; they will really that the time to personalize their communications to answer all of your questions, and some.

Lastly, unfortunately this brush is not cheap. It really is an investment. I can foresee this brush lasting me for a lifetime, but again it is expensive. There are a lot of imitation brushes out there, so if you are going to buy this brush be sure to do your research so that you can purchase not only an authentic brush, but also the right brush that is best suited to your needs. If you are buying this brush online, be sure to do your research. Otherwise, invest the money and buy the brush from a reputable dealer.

If I ever lost this brush, I would without a doubt repurchase it. It has become a staple in my daily routines. I am very glad that I purchased it.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2013 10:49:00 AM More reviews by YCH

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Well, I bought this years ago when I had some spare cash (it's definitely not cheap) but didn't really use it much as I had a layered style and was using quite a bit of mousse etc at the time.
Anyway, now I have fairly long straight hair in a plain style and have been struggling to find something that gives it body without making it look dull or tangled and noticed my poor unloved brush and have started using it and have been really pleased with the results - glossy and full hair without any products. Glad to have re-discovered this (a bit broke at the moment so enjoying rediscovering things from my stash bought when I had a good income !)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2013 7:10:00 PM More reviews by anita2336

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the Rolls Royce of brushes! the lost holy grail when it comes to your grooming routine!! . I was so happy that i found a salon that sells it in canada and went to the store to talk to the shop keeper, She told me which brush would work better on my hair ( Boar and nylon combo for thicker hair) Ive been using this brush religiously for almost 3 solid months now! the results are clearly visible! My hair is so much stronger ( its been almost 5 months since my last hair cut and ive barely got any split ends or breakage). My hair got so luscious and healthy looking! I have so many compliments about my hair looking so healthy as of late! The brush does such a good job at distributing oils from root-to-end that i truly believe it does such a wonderful job of creating such healthy hair
at $200 price tag, its not cheap by far, BUT think about how much we spend on all this junk for our hair that destroys it----hairspray, mouse, straightener, dryers, gel etc.....you need to counteract all these harmful products with one item that will heal your hair!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2012 11:46:00 PM More reviews by rburney

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

A wonderful treat if you have the disposable income to spare otherwise try something comparable. It does make the roots of my straightened 4a/b hair go flat. A little bristly on the scalp until broken in, but it really does remove the flakies and other debris.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2012 4:03:00 PM More reviews by Geezymak

I bought this brush 8 years ago and it's still in near perfect condition. The handle isn't as shiny as it used to be and the gold on the letters has worn off but other than that it looks like i just bought it. The bristles are still fine and if any have fellen out I can't tell. The rubber has also never come loose. I don't use it with my hair dryer and i clean it so that's probably why. The price is worth it if you consider how many brushes you'd buy in 8 years if you didn't have this one. Also, if you lose the cleaning brush like I did buy a new one on Neimanmarcus.com. For some reason they have replacements for the lowest price ($10). Everywhere else I looked including amazon was selling them for at least 14 and NM even had a promo code for free shipping so I probably set a new record by only spending $10.80 at NM in one go.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2011 5:37:00 PM More reviews by clareylb

I've just bought this brush - so can't comment on long term effects yet.
However, my initial impression is positive.
I got it in a gorgeous white colour, and it comes with its own cleaning brush.
I've just had my hair chopped into a short bob, to get rid of damage and 'start again'.
Part of this plan is to use this brush from the get-go, in the hopes of doing everything I can do to get healthy hair as I grow it out.
One word of warning - the bristles are quite bristle-y on the scalp, and I could really feel it tingle after I first used it.
But I guess this is part of the whole thing - to stimulate the scalp and get rid of flakes while distributing the natural oils.
The other thing I notice is that it causes your hair to go quite flat at the roots.
I have lots of hair, which is naturally frizzy, so this isn't too much of a problem as I'm always looking for things to tame my hair and make it lie flatter.
But it DOES feel a bit strange to have the hair lie so closely to my scalp.
I'll edit this review after I've used the brush for a few months.