April 16, 2014 | 1616 users online

Polishes - Orly - Fifty-Four

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2012 1:33:00 AM More reviews by silvermouse

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This is definately a topcoat as it's really too subtle and sheer to wear alone if you're after colour although if you're after a very subtle but pretty look this is for you. Its like pretty lingerie - no one else knows you're wearing it but you know and it makes you feel gorgeous!

Set in a peachy-yellow jelly base, this has tiny specs of pink and gold microglitter (not holographic glitter) that is barely noticeable in some lights but is gorgeously pretty in others. This is beautiful as a top coat over creme nail polishes - I tried it over Orly's Plum Noir. It doesnt overwhelm the base colour and enhances it when the light hits it from a certain angle.

Very easy to apply and like other microglitters, easy to remove.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2012 10:05:00 PM More reviews by hooplehead

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Why are you so mean to me, Orly? This is the third Orly color I have bought in the past month that has little to no color payoff. Sheer is fine, completely fading into the background is not. It is a sheer base with a pinky-coral shimmer. It is so pretty in the bottle, but next to invisible on the nail. I've tried it over purple, black, white, gray...every time the shimmer is barely noticeable. It started to be a bit more obvious after three coats, but that is way too much polish to use to see any effect. Would not repurchase, wish I could return it.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/17/2011 3:52:00 PM More reviews by elouised

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The color is so gorgeous in the bottle...but you'll need 3 coats to get anywhere close to the color in the bottle. The shimmer is INSANELY small...like just specks that will catch the light...barely. However it's nice to add to neutral nail colors and french manicures.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2011 4:31:00 PM More reviews by naturalsenses

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Fifty Four is one of Orly's microglitter topcoats, part of their French Manicure line. It's definitely very sheer, and meant to be layered. It's got tiny pink and gold microglitter suspended in a clear base, it is not holographic however! It looks very nice layered over pale shades, and looks especially good layered over dark reds (NYC Lincoln Center) and purples (OPI LPAD). This is one of my favorite "layering" polishes, I've gone through 2 bottles! It works with so many shades, I frankened a version of Paradoxal, looks awesome on top. I've used it with OPI TDI, and again, it looks super cool.

Highly recommended, I love Orly polishes!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2010 2:55:00 AM More reviews by Weigela

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I think this is much prettier as a layer over another polish than it is as a stand alone color. In my opinion it is too sheer by itself. I layered it over Orly "Lift The Veil" and it's very pretty. The glitter in this polish is super fine, which I prefer over chunkier glitter. It's easy to remove too.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2007 3:31:00 AM More reviews by grouchie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have to wear light/clear colors for work, saying this these are the colors I wear most often. I love this color, it's a sheer light pink holographic glimmer. I do have to say that it requires two or more coats to achieve the look in the bottle, but I expect this, especially if I think about my experiences with other glittery nail polishes. This is not a glitter nail polish IMO, this gives the nails a holographic shimmer. I don't like that it doesn't dry to a shiny finish on its own, but this is easily remedied by applying your favorite top coat. This wears well, and I can see myself reaching for this color quite often.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2006 3:53:00 PM More reviews by sillystupid

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

sheer pink holographic. lovely. great by itself or as a topcoat to another more blase pink. great buy!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2006 1:24:00 AM More reviews by violetcobra

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I recommend this polish! I am just saying I personally wouldn't buy it again. It's unique, yes. It's not something I would reach for because it's clear.

THE COLOR is basically described below. It's clear! It has shimmer that's holographic. You do not see it, at all, sometimes. You sometimes see a bit of shimmer, or a tinge of pigment. But in light, in bright light, you see the glowy look of the holo pink densely packed microglitter pop. I really love the polish in the bottle---it practically glows there--and on the nail tips it just doesn't glow as much. Because it's not as deep.

Some may feel this color is a tease because it just looks so hot in the bottle. It's just not as fantastic on the nail and it may disappoint... but it also may look nice in itself. If you're not sure, just look at it in the light and you may be sighing at the lovely shades.

THE APPLICATION is very easy because, hey, it's a clear polish! I really liked how thick this color was but how smooth. No bubbles. No glooping and rain gutter crap. Placed over Barielle basecoat and Barielle Manicure Extender.

THE WEAR is great after 24 hrs and lots of typing. No chips, no wear at all.

In a way I am forever going to feel a bit like 54 is sort of an underdog but it's also sort of hard to live up to the hype of your own expectation after seeing such a pretty shade in the bottle. I have pics if you're interested.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2006 5:36:00 AM More reviews by shanghaisweetie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Fifty-Four is essentially a clear polish with a very subtle iridescent pink glow thanks to a decent sprinkling of the tiniest pink glitter. The finish on the nail is more glimmery than shimmery. As the previous reviewer mentioned, this “topcoat” needs a shiny topcoat to keep the pretty glimmer look going otherwise it gets dull very quickly. It’s a lovely alternative to clear polish, but for a clean nude nail look, I still prefer shades with more to it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2006 8:37:00 PM More reviews by slok87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is one of Orly's Thirtieth Anniversary lacquers. Fifty-Four is a subtle pink glitter top coat. I say this is subtle because the "glitter" actually looks more like pink flecks of iridescence than pieces of glitter. I like how this lacquer looks best when layered over a sheer, pale creme, because it looks more glimmery overall. On my nails alone this goes on clear with small, pink shimmery points of glimmer. If you add more coats it doesn't really look much different. I think this is a very pretty polish, probably the nicest pink glitter I have seen--it is understated, while having that little bit of pizazz that a regular neutral or light color just usually doesn't have. if I had a little girl and she wanted me to do her nails, I would want to use this color. EDIT: I have recently discovered that although this is supposedly a top coat, it doesn't behave like one. It still needs a regular top coat over it. continued >>