October 24, 2014 | 1874 users online

Cleansers - La Vitton - Moisturizing Soap

rated 1 of 5 on 12/28/2008 4:12:00 PM More reviews by VintagePinup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I ordered this soap based on all the glowing reviews. I didn't want to write a premature review, so I waited until I finished all the soaps. First off, my skin is relatively acne-prone and relatively normal, but can be either dry or oily depending on which products I use and what kind of climate I'm in. At the time of usage, my skin was for the most part dry, tight, and flaky, perhaps as a direct result of the products being used, since my skin was normal before.
Shipping took about a week from Ontario to Alberta since they don't ship on weekends and I ordered on a Thursday night. Shipping was free since I ordered four soaps in total (1 rosehip, 2 lavender, 1 olive forte).
Each soap costs around $10 for 3.2 oz, which is kind of expensive for a soap, considering you can get soaps with similar ingredients at a cheaper price. Also, if used in the shower, they don't last very long (but what bar soap does?).
The ingredients list for each is minimal and organic, which is a big plus. No chemical preservatives are used.
The soaps come in a rectangular box with flower prints. Nothing fancy. Inside, the soap is sealed in plastic wrap with one of those cushioney things underneath it. The design imprinted on the soap, however, is soooo pretty! Each have a gorgeous fleur-de-lis on them! I've reviewed each soap individually since they all did different things.

Lavender Soap: I bought two of these. It's a clear soap with a lovely lavender scent. It wasn't overly harsh or drying, but that being said, it didn't remove any makeup whatsoever. I had to use straight olive oil to get my makeup off completely. The good thing about this is it didn't break me out and this stuff didn't sting my eyes.
Ingredients (as listed on the packaging): Vegetable Soap, Vegetable Glycerin, Rosehip Oil, Jojoba Oil, Olive Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Meadowfoam Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Lavender Oil, Chamomile Oil, Vitamin E

Olive Forte Soap: This soap is clear with a yellow tinge. It is fragrance free, so all you smell is the glycerin. It removed most of my makeup, but it was rather drying on my skin. My skin felt very tight afterwards. It lathered up quite nicely. The thing I hated about this was that is stung my eyes, more so than most bar soaps do. They recommended this particular soap for sensitive skin because it's fragrance free and has the least ingredients. I can't comment on if it caused me any breakouts for sure because I didn't use it for long enough to tell, but an excess in olive oil generally does that to me. However, the soap left no residue behind after cleansing, so this is not likely.
Ingredients (as listed on the packaging): Vegetable Soap, Vegetable Glycerin, Olive Oil, Rosehip Oil, Meadowfoam Oil, Vitamin E

Rosehip Soap: The colour is clear with a deep amber tinge. The smell was absolutely divine! Very nice rosey smell! It generally removed my makeup , but not completely, and it mildly stung my eyes. This is another soap that was very drying on me.
Ingredients (as listed on the packaging): Vegetable Soap, Vegetable Glycerin, Rosehip Oil, Jojoba Oil, Olive Oil, Meadowfoam Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Rose Oil, Chamomile Oil, Vitamin E

Final verdict: These soaps were either too drying or they didn't remove my makeup properly. If you were to buy them, I'd only recommend the Rosehip and Olive Forte for very oily skin. Even when my skin was at a normal balance, it dried me out. The Lavender soap was very nice, but you need a makeup removed to use alongside it. Despite the nice smell of the products and the lovely designs, I would not repurchase simply because they are nothing outstanding for an expensive price. For a cheaper alternative with much more choices in ingredients (while staying organic) would be Chagrin Valley (I haven't tried them personally and shipping might be a draw-back depending on where you live) or Rocky Mountain Soap Company (a BC-based company with shops scattered here and there in the west of Canada). Also, there have been reviews about Laventine creating fake accounts on MUA to highly rate their products and lure in customers. Do a little bit of searching around, and you'll see this is actually plausible. For that reason, I do not want to deal with that kind of a company. I will not repurchase these soaps and am much happier with my other alternatives. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2008 2:47:00 AM More reviews by sypat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm currently using the Lavendar soap and I looove the smell! It's a great cleanser but I think it's slightly drying for me (I think I just have ridiculously dry skin). However, I've been using a mix of olive and jojoba oils as my makeup remover and after that, this soap just takes off the oily residue and leaving my skin clean and refreshed!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2008 10:35:00 PM More reviews by seasplash

I have reactive combo skin so finding a great cleanser is a quite a challenge. I have used Olay Sensitive wash for years but decided to try this soap after hearing great things about it. What can I say--I love it! I chose the lavender one and the soap itself is a work of art--it's transparent with a beautiful design carved right into it. It comes in a cute little white box. Most of all, however, I love the simplicity of it. Made of pure oils (lavender, rosehip, etc.) there is nothing chemical in it too dry or irritate your skin (unless, of course, you happen to be allergic to on of those said oils). I was shocked how comfortable my skin felt after washing with it--clean yet supple with no residue! So yes, this one's a winner, and I will gladly repurchase after I'm done with this first bar (which, by the way, I'm been using for couple months already and there is still plently left)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2008 11:13:00 AM More reviews by wannashine

Just wanted to quckly add that after searching for this I found out they have changed their name to Laventine. Here's the website:
Will post as soon as I try-can't wait!;) Hopefully I won't have to take any lippies off!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2007 7:22:00 PM More reviews by HeatherHaye

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have the olive forte soap and I now use it everyday. It's loaded with olive oil and other moisturizers so it won't over dry my face, and at the same time, it cleanses very well. i would recommend this soap to anyone with acne-prone skin - I haven't had any major breakout since this soap, and it helps clear it up quickly the occasional little blemish. The soap is on the expensive side, and a lot goes to the cute hardboard paper box, but the quality of the soap itself is first rate all the way.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2007 11:32:00 AM More reviews by marissafl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I received 3 laventine soaps for my birthday, and now I have tried them all, here is the verdict: first of all, all 3 soaps, rosehip, lavender, and olive are so very beautiful to look at. It has similar bar soap shape but with soft curves on the sides so itís easy to hold and lather in the hands. Then, the scent. The rosehip smells warm red rose, not too sweet or strong. The lavender, my favorite, smells fresh, clean lavender, very soothing scent. The olive almost has no smell, maybe a bit olive oil, but thatís about it. The good thing about the soaps is that they do not smell soapy or chemical at all. All three lather easily and foamy. The olive soap seems to have the most creamy foam, lush and soft, then the lavender, and the rosehip has tiny rosehip seeds in it as exfoliate. I feel the olive soap is for dry skin as itís loaded with olive oil, but it wonít make skin oily. Again I like the lavender soap the best as itís perfect for my normal skin with oily t-zone. The rosehip soap is in earthy amber color because of the rosehip seeds in it, the olive soap has a light green hue as a result of the olive oil, and the lavender soap has no color, looks the cleanest. They all clean nicely and make face feel silky smooth, soft, and hydrated. I think the olive is great for dry skin, the rosehip for oily skin, and lavender for everyone. So, all in all, they are great soaps, but the lavender one is my personal favorite. They are not cheap for soaps, and I may not be able to afford them myself but I highly recommend them to people who are looking for great soaps, they are really the best cleansers of all!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2007 1:30:00 PM More reviews by SarahMc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like laventine products and particularly their cleansers are great. I side ordered this lavender soap just so I can get free shipping, but I was amazed how good it is. First, itís so beautiful with classic sculptural design in a gift box. Then the smell is nice and clean lavender, very relaxing. Itís creamy and foamy yet quite firm and sturdy, and it gets rid of every trace of makeup and dirt, my face feels soft and hydrated, a rare result from a soap! Itís totally worth the price if you use the soap for face only. Iíll re-purchase it.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2007 2:43:00 PM More reviews by dawnle

I have the olive forte soap, extremly mild and creamy, won't hurt eyes for sure. For anyone thinks soap is harsh, it's not the case at all with laventine's soap. In fact, I'm considering replacing my regular facial cleanser (bodyshop tee tree gel) with this soap. The soap gets rid of every bit of dirt yet manages to make my face soft in the meantime, plus it does not have the typical chemical soapy smell, instead it smells clean and mellow, I can almost say it smells olive, guess how much olive oil they put in the soap. So soap and water is the best skincare secret for me? It seems to work just fine.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2007 3:30:00 PM More reviews by Ava_S

I bought the laventine soap in lavender scent and it's now my major cleanser. The soap is extremely gentle, yet cleanses so well that my face has completely cleared up, and my breakout-prone skin has never been more clear and blemish free since ever! I lather the soap into a creamy consistency then apply to the face, and I like to use a face towel to help the wash, a lush, soft towel is the key if you ever use one! Then I use the towel to rinse my face until clean. The soap does not leave a greasy film or dry the skin at all. My face feels clean, soft, and supple, really comfy feeling. Another amazing thing about the soap is that even it's been used into a paper thin last piece, it still keeps its shape and won't get soggy, so there's no waste and you can use it up to the last bit. This is no common soap, it's my favorite!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2007 10:18:00 AM More reviews by MonikaC

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love the rosehip soap. First of all, it's so beautiful, probably the most beautiful soap I have ever tried. It's semi-transparent, red amber color in gorgeous classic pattern. And it comes in a white box sealed with golden bands. Honestly I was for a moment tempted to display it in the guest bathroom and not to use it! Anyway, the soap itself is a delight to use. It foams nicely and softly, cleans well, and with the tiny rosehip seeds, it also mildly exfoliate. It does no cause dryness in my face, just comfortably clean. And the scent is warm and fresh red rose. It's such a treat! I think this soap also makes a great gift as it's so beautifully packages. Definitely buy again!